308 Emergency Brake | FerrariChat

308 Emergency Brake

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Checked the archives and have read various posts BUT... Does anyone have a 308QV where the Ebrake actually works well. i do realize that the brake needs to be adjusted WITHIN the rear mechanism (not just the fast fix by tightening the dual cable).

What i am wondering is, if i have my mechanic actually "fix" the Ebrake, will it actually work or am i throwing good $$$ after a bad Ferrari design?

ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Steven,
    Mine works pretty well. Not a QV, but probably the same design.

BTW, I love your 2112 avatar!! Attention all members of the Solar Federation! We have assumed control!

Birdman

3. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so will have them adjust it. The one in the QV BARELY works. Will have it corrected.

We are the Priests of the Temple, oh Syrinx... :)

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Steve:

The Emergency brake on my '85 308QV works great. I can park on a hill and not worry about the car rolling away when in neutral (I do not recommend this). With that said, the emergency brake (or lack of) is a common complaint with 308 owners.

Ken

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steven
    If you read the early road tests, the hand brake never scored particularly well. Some cars, you give the brake a tug and you know the car isn't going to move. The 308? No way I'd trust it alone on a hill.

That said, there seems to be a fairly small range of adjustment once you've adjusted the rear brake pads appropriately (using the caliper adjuster and a feeler gauge) to get a fairly good bite vs another condition.
    Philip

6. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Steve,

The E brake is identical to the 914 4and 6 configuration, (different piston sizes). My experience, (28 years), is that the adjustment is a bit fussy but will work well if done correctly. I have only had the 77 GTB for 4 weeks and the e brake adj is not real high on the list.

regards,
    chris

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I had my mechanic follow the instructions from Ric Rainbolt (now in the archives) and it DID help my e-brake to now work on at least a mild slope.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I turned my rotors, adjusted the pads, even got an adjuster thingy to do that, did not help. Have to really yank the lever for any braking motion and certainly would not hold on an incline. So, i just leave it in gear.

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks guys for the help. Mine BARELY works if i pull all the way up. i would NEVER trust it alone on a hill and ALWAYS park with it in R and with the Gate Lock attached. But it would be nice for brief moments to have the Ebrake work alone. Will pay to have mine adjusted.

Thanks again :) The Grand Ol' Money Pit continues ;-)

10. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Mine never worked until the guys at Grand Touring worked on it. It still only really grabs after the last notch. Give them a call, they're really good about info over the phone. Ask for Kendall and tell him Matt Cooper referred you. 301-470-6464

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dopplemax,

Many thanks for the lead. The car is at KTR right now having a much more modern suspension system and bushings installed, plus getting a few other nicer bits done. She really does not NEED any of this, but i am bored and have 53 days left until i can drive again anyway. May as well make good use of the time at hand. Thanks again for the lead and will keep their info in my book.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

12. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    One problem with these cars is that the teeth in the ratchet mechanism are too coarse. If I pull mine tight and then let it rest on the ratchet tooth, the car can slide on steep hills. If I pull harder, the car will stop. But I can't pull hard enough to engage the next ratchet tooth. A slight readjustment in either direction should give me good engagement.

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    4re gt4,

As you probably know, but just in case... SLIGHT adjustments CAN be made. Look under the car from the rear, just behind the muffler. You will see a single wire that splits out to each brake. THAT WIRE has an adjustment piece for subtle "tuning" :) i think your car has it as the QV does. Yes, having smaller spacing/clicks would be nice too. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My park/emergency brake has always worked fine. I just have to make sure I get it into the correct notch which isn't too hard. It actually has seemed to improve with use.

I think they're just finicky unless properly adjusted.

Oh, yes, cleaning, oiling & lubeing the cable & it's associated pulleys & the tubes/guides it slips thru, make it work much more consistently. Did this as a pm just after I got it, & touch it up annually before putting the car on the road.