Purchasing Wheels Sight Unseen | FerrariChat

Purchasing Wheels Sight Unseen

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jim Riggs, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I am trying to purchase a set of 355 Challenge racing wheels for my 348SS. I was wondering what is the best way to do this when the seller is in another part of the country. Should you request digital photos? Has anyone purchased anything from Steve Mamam? Thanks, Jim

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I once purchased a set of wheels based upon description.

They came in very good condition, with center caps!

If the price is right I'd say go for it. That name does sound familiar, but I can't place it. Did you try to Google him?

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I hope those are not MY 355Ch wheels. Ask him if he is trying to sell you Martin's rims!

Steve is a good guy. BTW that is not just another part of the Country, its another Country all together. Canadians are kind of funny that way, wehn you include them as the 52nd State :)

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I mostly try and see how honest/the reputation of the seller is in general, that is easier though on Fchat then on ebay sometimes.

I have bought a lot of wheels now, sight unseen.

Thus far: My BMW wheels were not as well described.

Ferrari wheels I have bought (3 times now) have always been well described.

My suggestion is to ask the seller to provide close up images of the pictures of any and all blemishes and imprefections. If the the seller claims there are none, well then often times that is the case as ferrari's are not driven that much. I knew this to be the case when I bought a set of 360 wheels.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and also, make sure you know what you are getting and what you are not.

Wheels often but not always include:

The acutal rims
    centercaps
    tires
    valve stems

Often time though the last 3 are not included.

6. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I bought a set of aftermarket wheels from my 300ZX from a guy in a different part of the country, and sold a set of wheels (and multiple other car parts) using the same method. I created a one-page memorandum of understanding with my address, the buyer's (or seller's address), the agreed-upon price, payment method, shipping method, and photos (on separate pages). I signed, sent to him, he signed, faxed back.

I buy and sell stuff to unknown parties based on cashier's checks or other certified funds. There's always a bit of worry after you send the cashiers' check, but at least you have the name, address, and signature of the person if the deal falls apart.

Make sure the check clears before shipping anything (the whole "Nigerian" scam comes to mind).

Perhaps a bit anal of me, but I have transacted multiple thousands of $$ this way and haven't gotten ripped off yet!

-Gio P

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't forget... LUG BOLTS also.....! Unless you have a set your'e keeping.