308 bumper bumped | FerrariChat

308 bumper bumped

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ClydeM, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I was just bumped in the nose of my '83 308. The passenger side of the bumper was pushed in about 4"....no scratches, but lost one parking light lens. It looks like the bumper can be pulled out and I know there are bumper shocks. Anybody ever have to do this?

thanks.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #2 Husker, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You will actually improve the overall look of your car by pushing in the OTHER side as well. It will look like a euro then. But you need to get underneath the car with a drill bit and drill through the other shock. Then do the same on the back and...you have euro bumpers! Who'd have thunk it that getting your bumper bumped could turn out to be such a great deal!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I have had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. All that needs to be done is grab the side that is pushed in and give it a good tug to re activate the bumper shock. It should go back into the origional position. They sometime have a tendency to stick because of non use (thank goodness!) Hope this helps.
    WilliamR

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's why I won't go the Euro bumper route. I love the way it looks but I am afraid that I might need the extra protection one day. I would rather pull the bumper back out then drop the car off at the bodyshop.

5. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    If you do what Husker says, you will still have decent protection...along with a better look! I did it myself and it looks great. :)

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I did that too. I have the strong US bumper pushed in on the front, but I've kept my rear bumper at full position. I'm quite happy with the combination.

By the way, Clyde, I may have an extra passenger side lens sitting among my "extras" if you want to buy just one (they usually come in pairs).

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    By the way, Clyde, I may have an extra passenger side lens sitting among my "extras" if you want to buy just one (they usually come in pairs).[/QUOTE]

Call me wierd, but I like the bumper the way it was.
    And if it ever happens again, I'd prefer the "give" to happen again without any of the nose getting mushed.

Thanks for the offer, Mike. I'm suppose to be picking up just a lense from WWoC tomorrow. If that falls through, I'd like to take you up on the offer.

Thanks.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread.
    Well, it happened again.
    A young girl backed into the front of the 308.
    The same bumper shock gave way, but I'm soooo happy no body damaged occured

I had little grief popping it back out with a web belt & fixed stantion.
    Now the dilema.

I can't find a new replacement shock. Add these to the unobtanium lists.
    Sure, I can get a used one off a parts car but no guarantees it wasn't popped either.

Anybody have any luck cross-referencing the shocks to an Alpha or Spider?
    is there anyway to rebuild it?

9. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I simply backed up slowly into a brick wall and pushed in the other side to even it out and yes "euro bumpers" BeVery careful and I suggest not drilling into the working shock...it is under preasure and can be dangerous.

For the front, I ordered repalcement brackets ( not OEM shocks but fabricated pipe brackets) on EBAY and they are MUCH lighter than the shocks and also bring the bumper in a bit fo rthe "euro" look...they are not OEM ( I like to stay stock) and they do not of course , provide the DOT bumper compression that protects the nose of our cars in the first place...the bumper shocks are hard to find...I would contact somebody that is going to a euro bumper or the company that sells those euro bumpers might put you in touch with their customers. Most of these shocks are old and are all probably failing anyway

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    HEY CLYDE imagine if you had push the bumper in to have the euro look and then this happen, what damage do you think you would have beside losing a parking light lens? I think you would have more $$$ problem. I agree with Dr. Tommy Cosgrove 100% LOOKS IS NOT EVERYTHING thank you.

Mike

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You dont see it so much anymore, but not long ago it was quite common to see a pickup truck with a big heavy bumper made of wood. Could probably be done on the 308 along with a big brush guard setup to offer mega protection. Of course jacking the car up a good six inches with a lift kit of sorts would help a lot too.

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pau I think your confusing yourself between Pickup truck and a Ferrari we are talking about a Ferrari here it makes a whole world of different between the two cars, Which would you rather protect an old beat up picup truck or a mint condition Ferrari?

13. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    By the looks of the trucks that have the big wood bumpers, we might need all the protection we can get.