Why do people raise their engine hoods - looks/heat/both? | FerrariChat

Why do people raise their engine hoods - looks/heat/both?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TimF40, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've noticed that on many f-car gatherings, a number of people raise their engine hoods immediately after stopping. Originally, I thought this was only for show (I love seeing the engines!), but thought I recently heard a comment that it was also to let the heat escape from the engine compartments.

I've seen this on TRs, 360 Spiders/Coupes, etc...

Do some f-cars have engine compartment heat problems? I know my Capristo pumps out a lot of heat on my Modena, but it doesn't seem to do any harm (at least not that I can see). I can see how a 360 Spider might have problems with its small engine compartment.

Thoughts? Thx - Tim

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    hey tim..do you have any sound clips of the capristo? i would love to hear it

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I own a 308. And,even though it has those big Louvers over the Engine compartment,it still gets really Hot in there.

I suppose that when I go to a Ferrari,or other Car Show,it's for both reasons. My engine compartment is very clean,so,I like to Show it off a little.

But,after I've been driving it alot,and just park in my Garage,I usually open it up to let the Heat escape quicker. Probably no need or real reason to,but,I just do....

4. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Not really problems, just to aid in letting the heat out so that it goes quicker. Don't really think there are any inherent issues regarding heat displacement though. Did learn from my buddy 512Proffesore the detailer that letting the engine heat sit idle in the compartment can heat and possibly neutralize the wax on that area of the decklid. Just food for thought.

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Ditto, I am thinking about capristo vs tubi for my car! Any clips?

6. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
  7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I always open the hood primarily to get rid of all that heat! its a habit with me.

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've seen a Testarossa hot enough to melt the tail lights!

But I believe it had a cat issue needing attention.

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I should say it has a heat problem!

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The general reason for lifting the engine bonnet is to release the heat. Your hoses, gaskets, and rubber parts will generally last longer if they are not subjected to those levels of heat.

When I have backed my F-car into the garage, I open my door and immediately pop the engine bonnet. It's almost automatic now.

12. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    As stated above, I also pop the bonnet to let the heat escape. In the summer, it can get really hot in the engine compartment of a spider..........and with that glass back there.......if the sun is directly on it, it is like a magnifying glass. You could cook on that engine!

13. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    I used to do it for heat reasons, but then I figured it was goofy. Perhaps I should start doing it again on the 308 as well as my Saturn and M3? Nah. Still goofy.

14. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Good points about the hoses and rubber, never thought of that. It is also an automatic with me as well.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    When the car is moving there is usually airflow through the compartment. When stopped the temps go through the roof, no air flow and no circulating water either.

It makes rubber and plastic deteriorate quickly. Causes cracking of electrical insulation. It can also boil the gas in the carburetors (on a carbed car) and/or cause vapor lock in a fuel lines.

Opening the hatch also reduces the amount of 'green pee' that emenates from the rear of my 308 on occasion.

DJ

16. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    I wouldn't say no airflow. Free convection man! But while there is little airflow compared to driving at speed, there's no more heat generation since the engine has been shut down.

So why not do this on your daily driver? Most daily drivers have more restricted heat vents compared to Ferraris (no open grills on the decks), and those plastics and rubbers last a LONG time.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Before I had the 328 fixed for hot weather, mine wouldn't start unless I opened the rear bonnet.

For car shows the engine is more Ferrari than anything else on the car. Little do the millions of Ferrari lovers actually know they are just fans of Pininfarina.

18. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow, glad I asked. Thanks for the insight. It might be interesting, for fun, to hook up a temperature probe in my Modena engine compartment and in my 911 engine compartment and see what gives. I don't see a lot of Porsche drivers popping their 911 compartments (not much to see anyway). Of course, my '02 911 doesn't seem to generate nearly the amount of heat that the Modena does. Ah, a trip to Fry's seems to be warranted... :)

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yes, there is convection and no it doesn't compare to driving speed so why not enhance the convection by opening the hatch?

There may be no CONTINUING heat generation after shut down but there is still an engine in the bay at full operating tempurature that suddenly has little ventilation and NO coolant circulation. The absence of these two cooling agents allow the tempurature to RISE ABOVE NORMAL.

In answer to the question of why I don't do this to my daily drivers?

Neither have all aluminum engines shoe horned into the middle of the car. The bottom of both are wide open and the front end is open on both. It still gets hot as hell under there though but at least the ancillary systems are one heck of a lot cheaper and easier to replace than on the 308.

Vapor locks have been known to occur on 240Z's quite often. Mine doesn't because the fuel lines are covered in braided aluminum. Gas also boils in the carbs because they are right over the header. So maybe I should start opening the hood on that as well.

Note; The wiring under the hood of both of my daily drivers have had cracked insulation and cooked hoses from the heat which reinforces my point.

DJ

20. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    When the engine is stopped the cooling system slows, opening the bonnet helps cooling.

21. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Completely OT but do you have test pipes on your capristo? My dad has silenced test pipes on his and it sounds a lot different.. that could just be the video though

22. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, I don't. Don't put too much stock in how these cars sound in the videos. At best, they are only very rough approximations. Actually, the sound files don't do the cars justice - at all. :)

23. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I do it everytime, I've seen rear decklids with blistered paint from the heat also

24. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Same here on a 308

25. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters