Some thoughts about ENZO's styling | FerrariChat

Some thoughts about ENZO's styling

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by urraco, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    ....Since most people complaint and there are several different opinions ranging from plain ugly (purposefully odd looking) thru japanese cartoonish like, to superb beautiful. I 've realized that it's designer (Okuyama) had the world's easiest job considering the fact that ANY car designed with those dimensions (height of 45in. & width 81in.) 19" wheels, the aura of a V12 and finished with a state of the art paint job (a very famous known color too). and most of all: wearing scuderia shields and all those legendary badges . must be an instant world class . So it must be accepted as it is regardless of it is pleasantly beatiful or not. anyone else agrees? let me know what you think.

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Personally, I don't think it's pretty. I don't think it could have looked any different because I'm pretty sure that the wind tunnel had a lot more to do with the styling than anything else. I don't like F1-style noses on street cars. I don't like it on the Enzo and I don't like it on the MB SLR. I'm just a sucker for the old days I guess.

3. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I see your point on the dimensions but I still feel that they could have bombed on the design much easier than it becoming a hit. There are several supercars out there with huge engines, brakes, wide body etc that look super but not beautiful. The Enzo was a hard decision for me until I saw one in person. However the new Bugatti Veryon does nothing for me despite a V-16. No doubt I would love to have one but it doesn't hit the spot like the Enzo does. However I agree that the designer does have acake job....as long as he does a good one. Imagine if Ferrari had put out the Enzo and it got the same reception the 612 is getting.

4. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    Enzo,Scaglietti and all other Ferrari had that uneasy reception when they first came out. (human natural resistance to change) and after a while most people tend to say: Oh it has grown on me.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You are correct in stating that the dimensions/package for the Enzo are certainly a designer's dream to work on. I doubt that the Enzo will ever be accused of being "beautiful" in the traditional sense , but beauty is and has always been in the eye of the beholder.Ken Okuyama is a professional , and he did an outstanding job delivering on the Ferrari promise of a passionate,hot,and somewhat controversial design. Since he has subsequently been rehired to work for Pininfarina,someone must think he's capable of delivering the "goods".
    Contrary to popular myth, the windtunnel doesn't dictate design solutions at all. Certainly some designs work better than others in the tunnel , but the solutions are limitless.Look at the differences in birds that have to fly , or fish that need to be efficient swimmers.Any examination of racecar design will demonstrate the limitless posibilities of varying shapes that are aerodynamic.
    At the end of the day ,the question that has to be asked , does the design of whatever vehicle make the customer want to part with their hard earned money ? In the case of the Enzo, i believe the answer should be apparent.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Its like the Enzo.... looks much better with the doors open (adds some flare and breaks up the lines)

7. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I really like the fact that it looks unique. When you see an Enzo, you know it's an Enzo. Same goes for the Murcielago, the McLaren and Zonda. A supercar should be unique.

To slightly change gears a bit in the discussion, it is for this reason that I think Porsche failed in the design of their Carrera GT. It has a very strong resemblance to the 911 and Boxster. The car does not look especially unique. For all the technological treats that are offered on that car, they could have done a better job in making it's appearance more striking.

As for the 612 "growing on me", it's never going to happen. That is a sad, sad design. Aside from the extremely bland sheetmetal, the wheels on that car are waaaay too small. It looks like the thing has a set of rims from a Radio Flyer wagon.

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    If only they could have get rid of that bubble-type cockpit...

and maybe also the body colored roof - black is better! ;)

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, the prototype definitely looked cool.

10. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Enzo's design has not grown on me. I saw it in the flesh 3 times in different motor shows...they never smacked me like the Zonda or the Murci... I agree that Super Car should be unique, and enzo succeed on that regards. But pretty, it ain't...

I think the disign is wayyy to purposful. It should not hurt if the car will be a bit prettier and a bit slower with a bit less down force.

To me, it looks very much like that mother ship in Gundam (Jap anime, a pop culture icon for all Japanese kids from 20 years ago).

All in all, it's still an incredible car to look at...