Help with 355 | FerrariChat

Help with 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by JC360, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    Another question (have posted many, and have gotten great
    informative replies, thank you from a 355 soon-to-be):
    regarding 355s:
    the difference between 95-96 and 97-98, besides OBDI and OBDII.
    what to look out for, what year to stay away from (was told to
    stay away from 95-96 cars.) any opinions on which year is preferred?

2. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    There are quite a few post regarding this topic. You may want to search the archives and see what you find.

3. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    I am very srue there must have been posts on this subject, but
    can't seem to find any in search.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    96's are OBD11

5. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    I don't know why people say stay away from 95s or 96s. My mechanic/guru says that 95s and 99s are the best 355s to have. 96s - 98s were down on power even though the factrory continued to rate them at 375 HP.

95s do have their issues, mostly regarding cats and headers. The valve guide thing is BS today...It was an issue when the 95 cars were new, but any 95 that had bad guides have had them fixed by now and the reality is that there weren't that many affected untis.

If you don't know and with all due respect, it sounds like you don't, hire an expert to help you sort it out.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thank you for posting intelligently.

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Being one who owns a 355 Spider - I really don't think you can go wrong with any year - make sure that it has been cared for and serviced - and you will not go wrong.

The problems in the 95, 96, and some 98's - would all be fixed by now if it has been serviced.

I personally bought a 95 - due to the slight increase in HP - Separate Air Handleing... But again - I would shop for the best price - for the best serviced 355 you can get... And as the saying goes - it is never a bad thing to buy the newest F-car you can afford of the model you are looking at.

Rich

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Actually any pre 1998 CAN have valve guide issues but it's not a certainty by any means. And to say that they would fixed by now is asking a lot of some of the more uncaring F-car owners out there.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    1995 chews through CATs. Valve guide definitely isn't problem any more. If there haven't been problems yet, there won't be any. In my personal experience, suspension can be a problem and need replacing (ours needed replacing after less than 2,000 miles.) Manifold problems on 1995s too.

10. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen

Sherpa, my friend...One can agree that valve guides can fail for many reasons:

- Running the motor dryer than required.
    - Constant hard driving
    - lack of required maintenance

The "infamous" problem of EARLY valve guide wear is over...There's no such thing as a new 1995 F355, save a prescious few that are hold up in someone's garage...

...One can only dream of finding one of them.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You should catagorize 355s into 3 bins; 1 )1995, 2) 1996-1997, 3) 1998-1999

The 95s have first generation headers, OBDIO-1, and the first generation brakes.
    The 67s have second generation headers, OBDIO-2, and second generaton brakes.
    The 89s have second generation headers, OBDIO-2, and third generation brakes.

95s have a header cracking issue.
    95 through 98s have had valve guide issue. I think its overblown, others are free to disagree. I, personally, have 40K miles on a 95, and 32 track days on same. At least on racer improvised a hanger system to take the weight of the exhaust and CATs off the headers and improved life. Removing cats also improves header life.

When the F1s were introduced, the slave cylinder in the clutch was improved.

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

You are correct if that's what you were referring to: EARLY valve guide wear is no longer an issue.

13. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I think there's also a difference in the anti-brake-system. If I remember correctly, cars had a better Bosch system (same as used in Porsches) from 1998 onwards.

14. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    To suggest that the valve guide problem is due to poor maintanance is im afraid wide of the mark.

They used Bronze guides in the early cars and because they had a batch of them continued to use them untill later years when it went to sintered steel.

bronze is used in race apllications as it is softer and can stand high revs but it tends not to wear that well and how it wears depends on many factors- seepage past the valve guide seals helps a bit.

Although the headers were changed in 97 on they are still ALL a problem.
    The design of the aux air intake pipes was changed from a straight configuration to a sort of a v and this stopped them breaking at the point of weld but NO changes were made to the guts of the thing and they break in every year.

15. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Speaking from experience the only problem I've ever had is with the semi-automatic top. It is very temperamental and a big pain. I had heard that the 1998's also had problems with the F1 tranny but mine has been fine.

16. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    I needed that breakdown info!
    I did not mean to start a whole discussion about which year was better, I
    was only looking for information as to the difference between the years.
    Thanks.