seatbelt not pulling out of retractor...any ideas?? | FerrariChat

seatbelt not pulling out of retractor...any ideas??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by groovzilla, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    all,

seatbelt is not pulling out of the drivers side retractor...never has since i bought the car...i would like to get this working...any ideas on what the problem could be..is the retractor easily removed and opened up??

it pulls out just a bit, maybe 1" and then the mechanism locks up...won't budge..

thanks for replies...

2. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i had the exact problem in my carb 308. the mechanism would stick and i would have to fiddle with it for a long time to get all the belt out. I just used wd40 on the spool mechanism and latches in the retractor, and have not had a problem since. i did this with the mechanism still on the car. hope this helps.
    john

3. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    my car is a carb 308...79GTS

**does the retractor housing just pull off to gain access to the innerds??

i am not at home to look at the retractor setup..

i will try the wd40 trick..

thanks...

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The way these things work is, there is a little "pendulum" like weighted structure that typically hands straight down. The seatbelt retractor mechanism has a locking device that, when this pendulum is off center (like it gets when you stop, accelerate hard, or turn a corner in a spirited manner) the locking mechanism will engage.

One possible problem, then, is that this pendulum is no longer hanging down when the car is neutral/balanced (like it should). Another explanation is that the lock mechanism itself has failed and got stuck "Shut", though I'm not sure if this is possible by design...

--Mike