saw a brand new bentley cont gt delivered... | FerrariChat

saw a brand new bentley cont gt delivered...

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and i just can't understand anybody wanting that car. i know everybody has different tastes but that thing just strikes me as ugly. that being said the paint job was perfect, the fit/finish was amazing, the interior looked fantastic, and i hear the engine is great. i guess if you never had to look at from the outside it might be alright.... but for that kind of money i would force myself to like the 612 in a hurry.....

2. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I would buy the Bentley over the 612 in a heartbeat. Even if the 612 was the same money as the Bentley, it would still be no contest. The lines of the Bentley are very elegant yet muscular, display good symmetry, and it doesn't appear to rip-off other car designs. I have seen both cars up close, and the Bentley (in my mind) is in another league altogether, despite the fact that the 612 is much more expensive. The interior of the Bentley is far more comfortable, and offers much more in the way of creature comforts. For what it's worth, I can't imagine anyone buying the 612, unless they got it for 50% off.

3. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Agreed (with Ross). The front looks OK up to the front of the front wheel arches (i.e. its face!), and then it all goes wrong.

And the arse makes the Gallardo look well executed.

Now, starter for 10. Who owns Bentley these days?

4. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I sat in one about 2 weeks ago. The engine and exhaust sounded great! I think the front-end looks alright, the rear though is bit off. The interior is very nice. Overall, I think it's alright, but I would take an Aston Martin over it.

5. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    But I do agree with Clax that the 612 is over priced.

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I may be a little biased since I have a bentley and an order for the Cont GT convert but for the money I don't think anyone else is putting out anything close. For 150, what else can you get with the same attention to detail and fit and finish? Put that car next to a 360 for 180k and you are wondering where the hell Ferrari spent your money. Am waiting on the Aston, should be great as well.

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    post a picture if anyone has one, thanks.

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Jeff speaks the truth.

At $150K, the Bentley and the DB9 are the cars to have. Period.

10. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #10 ty (360mode), Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i love the continental GT! granted, i have not seen it in person but for $150k, it's better (on paper at least) than anything else out there...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    IIRC Volkswagen auto group bought Bentley and all the Bentley/RR factories and models. Interestingly, BMW got the RR name and I believe they are selling new models under that name. Wonder how pissed off the RR forum members were about that?

Here's some pics if you're too lazy to actually browse around while you're supposed to be working:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=bentley+continental+gt&sa=N&tab=wi

12. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i want to be on cribs so i guess me :)

seriously, i hear what you all are saying, i never would have thought i'd be interested in a bentley (until i was at least 40 or something), but you have to admit this car has some cruiser appeal to it - unlike bentley's and RR of the past.

13. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Im sorry, but I dont see anybody considering a 360M or Gallardo, or even 911T, to consider the Continental GT. This thing is a (fast) large luxo cruiser where the other are sports cars. Depends what you want.

PS. Its ugly, and the interior is worse - full of wood, very retro.

14. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i don't think anyone thinks of this as a competitor to a 360, gallardo or TT. it's a cruiser, not a sports car. that said, if i could get one for sticker now i'd throw them the keys to the TT in a sec.

15. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    You can get the car with or without the wood trim. Your preference. The options list is very extensive.

I understand your comment about luxo cruiser vs. sports cars, but most people drive their cars solely on the streets & highways where the Continental GT would spank most sports cars. And, I think that as a daily driver, the Continental GT would be very hard to beat. For me, I use the Range as a daily driver, so having the Cont GT as a second car would not be my preference. However, given the choice of owning one car for $150K, my money would be on the Cont GT or the DB9.

16. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Agreed. As an ONLY car it would make a good option. I would have to see one without the wood interior or a more modern combo. The exterior is a little ugly, but not THAT bad. If everybody thought it was beautiful it would be boring.

Ernesto

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    What's wrong with wood? Since when was wood retro? Since when was wood UGLY?

18. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Well said.

19. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    LOL... to each his own...

20. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I like wood too. I would much rather have a CGT than a 612.

Jeff is right, Bentley's build quality is superior to Ferrari.

I think the CGT true competitor is the Mercedes CL600. I love the CL600 and can't wait to drive a CGT to compare.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    :)

22. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    If build quality is your primary concern, buy a Lexus.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not long ago I saw the Bentley and the 612 not far apart. In my opinion they are aiming for similar buyers, and I know which one I would choose ... the Bentley big time.

That car oozes class and from everything I have read, it does the business too.

I would buy one tomorrow if I was extremely wealthy, the only car I would consider against it would be the new Maserati Quattroporte.

Pete

24. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Allready done.

Ernesto, build quality is not a top concern for me when contemplating a sports car.

However it is a top priority for me when looking at a 2+2 or sedan.

25. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    No doubt. The CGT absolute KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS the ugly 612, it's not even a competition. Anyone that says otherwise is an F-car fanboy with blinders on.

CGT = best cruiser GT available, and it will hold that title a long time.

Also, I would rate the Aston DB9 right behind the CGT, depending upon whether you want more of a sports car, or more of a luxury coupe.