How to become a driver. | FerrariChat

How to become a driver.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tw1nturb0, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    It's a question, not that I am interested in doing so myself. I heard that there are serious barriers to entry unless you start out in your teens. Can you guys please clarify the stages of racing for my sorrowfull newbie a$$? Also, how significant is karting in the whole scheme of things (aside from it being a wonderful learning tool)?

Flame me if you wish. I;m sure this has been discussed a bunch. And thanks in advance for the help.

Rob

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Cubic Cash

Carting gives a great balance feel to what the car is doing

Driving schools like Skip Barber

and then lower classes ie Formula mazda formula 2000

all it takes is talent and LOTS of money

3. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    very interesting. "hypothetically" speaking, a 27yr old athlete with cash a talent to match could attempt this without spending years in the dregs...

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    What series do you want to race in?
    Money and a car can get you racing but at a point, tallent is the only thing that can carry you.
    If I was loaded rich, I would race all day everyday. This may give me the time inside the car I need to develop my skills but if I'm just not good enough to get into F1, there is no amount of money that can push me into F1.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You mean Cart, don't you!? Hhahahahah

6. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    :D

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    27 come on man that is OLD for racing look at Kimmi and company 27 is when these guys RETIRE these days.

You can go racing but don't expect anyone to give you a ride. It is more likely to go and prove yourself in lesser classes and maybe get a ride in an ALMS car but starting at 27 no freekin way

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Study hard, make good grades, be involved with extra activities, build your social skills, go to college, work for someone or start your own company, be successful, and when 30+ buy a ride. That's how 99.9% of everyone else does it. The truth.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yeah, but that's hard.
    I just want to win races in Monaco and get paid a few mill a year.
    How do I do that?

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm 22 and that's already too old to start.
    I don't think any teams take street racing as a form of training :(

11. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I think Zsolt Baumgartner made it to F1 without talent. Certainly never showed talent in F3000. I am assuming he had some very serious financial backing.

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    "How to become a driver."? Simple- just buy and thoroughly read "Grand Prix Race Driving for Dummies", then you're ready to move to Monaco and fly around on your own helicopter. Seriously though, I have a friend who started his son in karts at around age 5, and I think that may be too late these days.

13. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    I hear that. I'm all about tracking the car when the time comes. As for the question stated in the initial post, I knew 27 was old, but what if you were better than everyone else, as an undiscovered talent? I mean, it must be a possibility, right?

Anyway, I'm 27, and I am not seriously thinking that it was a possibility for me, butmerely using my perspective as a frame of reference for the question. I guess it oculd be more clearly defined in a statement: Talent rules all, ultimately indescriminate.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    As for Zsolt Baumgartner. He wasn't the best choice, but he had the funds the other drivers didn't. He has some skill but should be replaced, maybe by Bjorn Wirdheim. Bjorn I don't think is the best "new guy" F1 could have pertaining to tallent, but he's good enough and he is the right "type" for F1.

If these drivers didn't have tallent, then we would not know them. You do need cash to swipe, to get past the F1 security door but tallent is much more important. Cash will let you through the door but tallent will make you find the door.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Actually, while I tend to believe this, I've always known racers to start with the word: "Dad...."

(professional racers that is, there are many out there)

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Your last name can open doors in a hurry.
    Or your last name can have them locked, even before you knock.
    I might change my name to Schui meister, then I will be set!

17. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I am probably a little partial, but Björn killed the opposition in F3000 last year. Pantano was second I think, with about half the points Björn had. Zsolt was somewhere around 8-12th position. On the other hand, Swedish companies never appear to back their talented drivers enough. Björn might be a little too tall and heavy too, more than 180cm, 70 kg. On the other hand, that didn't stop Nigel Mansell.

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

Ahhh, I forgot he's a biggie. My problem as well. I'm over 6 feet and over 200 lbs, with too much muscle/fat, just plain 'ol big I guess. Football does that to you!

19. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    It also helps to have the right managers and promoters. Nico Rosberg is probably going to have a red carpet ride to the big leagues. Hakkinen and Mika Salo were about equal in talent, I think, but Hakkinen was managed by Keke Rosberg while Salo was not, according to my recollection. Kimi is in Keke's stable too, if I am not mistaken.

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    hey Neil is that a Molson Muscle or Mooshead?

(Sound of voice on bullhorn)
    "You in there, Step away from the Donuts and exit the Tim Horton's with your hands up.... and bring two Honey Sticks...."

21. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I started out by driving drag cars in my teens.
    First my stepfathers A/A Fuel altered at Lyons and Carlsbad, and then I campaigned my own Pro Stock Pinto which almost sent me to financial ruin.
    From there I moved to road racing motorcycles for Don Vesco, and formula ford cars...
    What would I suggest?
    Do as many driving schools and certification classes as you can,
    and obtain a license.
    Then buy a used SCCA race car with log, and have all the fun you can afford.

22. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    On the other hand, NASCAR (the WWF Wrestling of racing) seems to work pretty ok for drivers that are apparently out of shape. Tony Stewart looks like he could easily shed 20lbs, maybe 30 even. You don't find anyone like that in F1.

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    There is such a demand on your body in F1 and the guys take it so serious that there isn't a question weather or not to be in the best shape you can be.
    Left, right, over the curbs as hard as you can, acellerating up throught the gearbox, brrrrrr, brrrrrrrr, brrrrrrrrr,brrrrrrrrrr hard on the brakes, down down down through the gears, hard right all the way, ease of the wheel, hard on the gas, up through the gear box again 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7, down to 5th, hold that turn on the edge of physics, back the other way, braking hard now, tight through the next turn, up to 4th 5th 6th hard on the brakes as you hit the curbs, keep controll now, you are almost through a single lap.
    Get my drift?
    In Nascar, up up up through the gear box, {4 miles later} finaly in 4th gear, turn left a bit, straighten the wheel, left again, ok the race is over you won! How about some potatoes and fried fat in a bowl?

24. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why you pickin' on me?
    I'll tell on you!
    I haven't been working out as hard as I was. I have lost 30 lbs and I could lose about 30 more without too much effort. I'm one of those guys that has to work out every day or I look like a fatso after 2 days. Just last week I started to "slim" down. I eat 4 "meals" a day and only small portions. I think I will stop everything I'm doing and just run. I loved running for 3 or 4 kms without breaking a sweat, I really felt good. Now I'm winded after walking up 2 flights of stairs. But I can still lift a house.
    As for which muscle? Scotch neat. The good stuff. Off the top shelf baby! I don't drink much but when I do, I DO!

25. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I am well aware of the physical demands of openwheel racing. In addition, the extra weight carried by a driver slows the car down. In karting excess weight is fatal, but with the increased weight of the car and driver package in NASCAR for instance, the importance of weight decreases somewhat. Still, if I were Joe Gibbs, I'd put Tony on the treadmill. 20-30 lbs of driver weight saved is significant.