InI want to jog from LA to Dallas. Need input. | FerrariChat

InI want to jog from LA to Dallas. Need input.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I am fat and bored so I was thinking about flying out to LA and walking, jogging back to Dallas. Seriously. It is 1493 miles and at 50 miles a day that is 28 days.

Is it possible to sustain 50 miles a day? I am not talking about sprinting back or running a 2 hour marathon every day, but say walking/jogging 10 hours a day at 3 to 5 mph.

Wondering about gear I would need. Gotta travel light. Food I would need. Can stop along way, but not always. Water/fluids? Figured I'd try to lose some weight too.

What about shoes for muh feets? If they go out I am in trouble.

Run Forrest Run!

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Jim
    put down the pipe

Did someone hijack your id like they did to Bruce a couple of months ago?

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Just think if you wore roller skates you could get back faster

4. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

No, my wife says I scare her when I talk like this, but I wonder if I could do it. Other fly balloons over the Andes or planes around the world or swim the English Channel.

Just wonder if my feets and legs would give out or if I'd lose my mind after a week. Could always quit and fly home, but that isn't the p oint.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    At least half the way is up hill......

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I rode my bike from San Diego to LA, and then back.
    But I was young and in shape when I did it.
    Jim, do you have a dog?
    If not, get a dog...
    I guarantee that walking with your dog a couple times a day
    will drop the pounds quick. :)

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Save yourself the cost of the plane ticket and start out in Dallas, go half-way, and come back by another route. You can spend the savings on a couple of good pairs of walkiing shoes.

8. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    The key here is to get into shape before you begin the run. Most people couldn't stand up for 10 hours a day much less push themselves 50 miles.

And if you haven't put in serious physical activity for a while, you'll be feeling it bad - the second day. With all the smog in LA, new shoes, and soar legs, I dunno... It's a fun idea though - don't get me wrong.

9. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    No offense, but if you are fat and out of shape, you wouldn't be able to average 50 miles a day cycling. And cycling is easier than running. I do both, and a 13 mile run wears me down more a 60 mile ride.

50 miles running a day represents over 5000 calories burned. You probably wouldn't be able to eat enough to get through and your body would probably slowly eat your muscle away.

If you are serious about doing this, make sure you pack some heat as you'll probably be thumbing your way home and need a little protection.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Get over it Jim. Sit down, have a beer. If you still feel the need for physical activity, come mow my lawn.

11. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I wondered about calorie consumption.

I had considered a gun too so don't get mugged in the middle of arizona.

Hadn't thought about a bicycle.

Also, not "running" 50 miles a day. run a while....walk awhile....run some more...walk some more..rest..walk. Just go til I am spent, rest and then go some more.

I mean it is not physically impossible to travel the distance, just a matter of time.

12. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Ok first off your not going to do it, so just save your time and stop talking about it. (not saying you cant but you really have not thought about this)

Now if you were going to do it in a year and start working on getting yourself ready that is totally different.

But there is no possible way you could complete that.

13. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Again, it is not a race so I don't care if I actually complete it or if it takes longer than expected. I have thought about it, but haven't sat down and prepared an inventory list or stops along the way etc. I don't thi nk you have to be a marathon runner to be able to walk. Now to walk all day every day for a month is a diff question. I am just not sure if it is sustainable or not or if so..for how long?

I was wondering if I could travel light and get food etc at stops along the way or if I gotta pack a backpack like a mountain climber which woudl greatly slow me down. I have a friend who did some appalacia trail for 2 months. he lost bout 40 lbs adn traveled a LONG way. Not sure without asking. he mailed himself food and supplies to towns along the way so he'd stop and pick things up.

14. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Why don't you start "easy." Take a week off and walk down to South Oak Cliff and back. That should prepare you for everything you can expect.

15. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Ha ha...I already own 3 homes in East Oak Cliff that I am rehabbing now so I go down there about twice a week.

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would suggest some serious training before you do this. I've ran a marathon distance once and I trained alot before I did that. The distance your talking about is insane. Even walking just 50 miles is going to be alot harder than you think. Ive done 30 with a full pack, weapon, Mortar tube, and lots of ammo, and full gear (Kevlar vest, Kevlar helmet, 782 gear, sleves down.) And it damn near killed me.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I lost my mind a long time ago. If you find it, bring it to CA with you before you run/jog/walk/crawl nearly two marathons a day.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Appalachian trail would be the way to go if doing this. You have a soft trail, so that's much easier on you than pavement. You also have trees for shade. It's a well traveled trail, so plenty of experience and stops to aide your trip.

Walking long distance isn't easy, but seems like it because when did walking to the fridge and back ever hurt? At best I think you could only do 30-40 miles a day.

Not saying you can't do it. Wouldn't be cool to do if everyone could do it.

I've run several marathons and the last 5 miles hurt more than the first 21 combined.

I want to ride home to Salina, KS (450 miles), but wouldn't even start the trip until I could ride 80-120 miles a couple times a week. I rode Hotter N Hell 100 miles a few times and always weighed about 10-12 pounds less when finishing. That's drinking 32 oz. of water an hour too.

Do what most people do and just train for a marathon. You'll loose weight just training for it and won't have to sacrifice work and family in the process.

I need to loose 15 lbs. Jennie and I are doing the Texas Half-Ironman in September. That's realistic.

19. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Get yourself a treadmill so when reality sets in after a few miles, you have a ten foot walk back to your couch!

20. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    The others are quite right about the pre-training. Start now and go for it! I'm sure your kids-kids would get a kick out of it. Run it during the winter to avoid the nasty 3000 deg weather and watch out for the snakes.

Best of luck

21. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    hate to be a pessimist, but unless you train for this, no freakin way. have you ever gone shopping all day and your legs just felt like they were gonna give out?? that was probably only 5-10 miles of walking at most!

just go do some back and forths down harry hines!

22. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Jim- it is not easy to sustain 50 miles/day. 20/day at the outside is more realistic. (and this will EXHAUST you!)

Travel light, bring food or live off the land (read; hunt and kill and grill) and maybe.

I'd encourage you to try some light backpacking first, and get acquainted with the idea.

Then, if you really want, go for it man!

Just bring a gun and a satalite phone.

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Rob's advice is excellent, the Appalachian trail would be your best bet.

Your ability to feed yourself enough daily to keep from eating your muscle aside, I think the overwhelming obstacle would be your ability to protect your feet and joints. Try walking half the daily distance your talking about, then get up and do it again the next day. Your going to be fighting lots of inflamed tissue around your knees and trying to cope with swollen feet as well. Will you continue to walk in rain? Even if it's warm it will rob you of heat.

You would need serious preperation and training before undertaking this venture. I think if you start training for this you will drop your unwanted weight.

24. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some guy named Jenkins wrote a 2 part book series called 'A Walk Across America". Read them. Especially the parts about dealing with cops and less than desireable elements of society.

Homeless guy, can't think of name but was a writter, wrote book about getting from Dallas to Tucson and back, mostly on foot but with some hitchhiking..... Called 'Travels with xxxx" (his dog, can't remeber name now); interesting passages about dealing with cops and less than desireable elements of society on his travels.

There are parts of the desert between LA and Dallas where your 'un-protected from the sun' life span will be measured in hours. You will go from sea level to several thousand feet depending on route.

Get in very good shape. Get a support team; one person who did this type of thing had his wife preceded him by car, he just caught up with her each night. That way when you don't show up they come looking for you while you are still in identifyable condition.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Jim, I'm in. When do we start?