How Michael Schumacher won the 1987 European Karting Championship in Gothenburg, SWE | FerrariChat

How Michael Schumacher won the 1987 European Karting Championship in Gothenburg, SWE

Discussion in 'F1' started by LA Swede, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I saw the tape when I was a kid. It is amazing. Zanardi and Orsini were ahead by about half a lap, 600 meters, and in a class of their own. Schumacher was a distant third, way, way behind. Zanardi and Orsini are fighting it out hard and tangle at the end of the straightaway, and go off the track. Orsini is unable to continue, but Zanardi picks his kart up and proceeds to start it up. Zanardi has more than enough distance between himself and Schumacher to win the race, but out of the spectators comes a man jumping the fence like a mad man and kicks Zanardi down! Zanardi is unable to continue and Schumacher ends up winning the race and harvesting what I think was his first really big win.

Absolutely amazing footage. If anyone has it, I'd love to see it again.

I thought the man kicking Zanardi was Orsini's mechanic, but this page claims it was his father.

http://www.subh.freeserve.co.uk/zanardi.htm
    xxxx
    Alessandro Leone “Sandro” Zanardi, or Alex, as he became known on the United States scene, began his racing activities as a prolifically successful kart racer. Starting in 1980, he was winning major international races by 1984, and took several major championships in the following three seasons. In fact, there was an infamous moment in 1987, at the European Championship Final in Gothenburg. Zanardi was racing with Massimiliano Orsini, and they were leading, in a class of their own. The battle was spirited, and the two managed to take each other off when Orsini attacked from behind. Zanardi still had enough advantage to win, but when he tried to restart, Orsini’s father ran over and kicked him in the back! All of which meant that a slightly less speedy driver took the race, namely Michael Schumacher. Orsini managed to take Alessandro out again at a later date, similarly costing him the Italian Championship.
    xxxx

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That's freakin' funny!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, that sounds like some of the kart racing I've done here in Houston!

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #4 62 250 GTO, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    is that you 20 years and 120 lbs ago? ;)

here is a pic of my most recent kart racing attempt. I am to the left, as you can clearly see, I am comfortably leading the other guy.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No, that's Michael Schumacher 20 years ago and 1.20 Billion dollars poorer.
    As for your picture, I would say you are leading. But the comfortable part is a blatant lie! Make it out of that ok? Looks like an ouchy situation to me.

7. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Didn't know that. Funny. That looks like a Sirio or TKM engine on that kart. Can anyone confirm?

I was fine, long story short, spine cracked a little, huge hematoma on leg. I can never get enough of watching that footage. I wish I would have done things differently, but nevertheless I love the video.