ATTENTION TR OWNERS!!!!! | FerrariChat

ATTENTION TR OWNERS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BWS550, Nov 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ITS THAT TIME FOR TIRES AGAIN....FOR ALL TR OWNERS, HERES A QUESTION FOR YA..

I KNOW AVAILABLE ARE THE :

MICHELIN PILOT SPORTS
    PIRELLIS
    DUNLOP
    YOKOS
    BRIDGESTONE
    ETC

ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME, THE BEST TIRE FOR THE BUCK FOR MY NEEDS ARE THE KUMHO ECSTAS V700 @ 90.00 EACH APPROX..

I DONT TRACK MY CAR, NOR RIDE IN RAIN...

ANYONE HAVE THESE?? ALL INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANKS BRUCE

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bruce
    Did they fix your TR properely?

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bruce
    This may be only partially relevant. I have Kumho v700 Victoracers (predecessor tire) on my 308. Grip is great. Wear rate is lousy (v high). Wet weather (which you indicate is not a concern) hydroplanning would be a major issue. I thought I'd get a seaon (15 track days) out of them. No way. There is a technical bulletin indicating you should have them shaved to get better wear, but given they've got so little tread on them to start with I didn't. Either way, the Michelins might be more expensive but I've got to believe they would last longer than the Kumhos and therefore a more economical bet in the longer run.

I contacted Kumho to ask about the wear rate, was this normal, I was surprised and disappointed etc. No reply.
    HTH

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have Kumhos on my TR and have been pleasantly surprised on how nice they are. Very good grip, low noise, aggressive tread, I will probably buy them again. I don't track my car or drive in the rain, so don't know much other than street stuff. But for the money it's a pretty good deal.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    PMA

ACTUALLY THEY DISCONTINUED THE V700, BECAUSE OF THE PROBLEM YOU MENTIONED, THEY HAVE A NEW # ECSTA SUPER 712, FOR ABOUT 70.00 FOR THE FRONTS, AND 105.00 FOR THE BACKS..I WENT WITH THEM...

CARGUYS, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP..

JG.YOU HAVE A PM

THANKS ALL,
    BRUCE

6. Scott

Scott Karting

Feb 22, 2002
    Yorba Linda CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Grossman
    Bruce,

I've had the Pilot Sports on my 90 TR for the last 2 years and have been very happy with them.

HTH
    Scott

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    THANKS SCOTT

BUT FOR THE DRIVING I DO...THE PRICE IS RIGHT :)

BRUCE

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The Kuhmo's are damn tempting. The price is certainly right! My car needs tires too, but I'm having trouble deciding what to put on it. The reality is I don't track it, I seldom drive it in the wet, and I only put on about 3k miles/year.

Bruce, do you notice any immediate differences with the new tires? Grip should've obviously improved, but anything else?

9. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Hey Bruce!

I had Kumhos shipped from the statess and installed on my TR about a month ago. Very good replacements for the old S0-2s. Sticks well in the dry, and wet performance appears fine, though I didn't have it out in the wet often. Breaks in quickly too. Will see about the wear in time.

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NEE HO MAH PETER,

LONG TIME NO SPEAK, HOPE ALL IS WELL, DOWN YONDER...

THE TIRES ARE PERFECT FOR ME

TAKE CARE, PUNYOW

BRUCE

11. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Nei ho Bruce. Hope you are doing well. I am OK, but damn stressful and busy these days.

I think you will like the Kumhos. Happy driving!

12. ExoticRobert

ExoticRobert Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Mukilteo, Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey Bruce,
    When I bought tires for my TR (went to 18's) I looked at the tire rack web site, you get review's from a lot of people, and spec's of each tire..I found bang for the buck was the Yokohama's AVS Sport, but take a look at there site, should be helpful to you..
    Robert

13. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I ALREADY DID ROB, KUMHOS I FOUND THE BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK WITH THE TYPE OF DRIVING I DO..BUT THANKS...

JIM, I SHOT YOU AN EMAIL

BRUCE

14. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

Say Rob, did you install those Yokos? I'm about to replace the rear tires. I had an incredible amount of trouble removing the flat - NO one could remove it by any method whatsoever. A 1" culter hammer impact driver with a 3/4" adapter didn't even budge it, and that probably cranked out well over a 1000 foot pounds!
    So I shipped it off to Shelton - They used a penetrant for a couple of days, and off it came. Well, the service will be far more than the price of the tires....

Sooo, I'm not looking to repeat that anytime soon! I want the longest lasting rubber, period. How are they? -g

PS I see that everyone had to re-register again, as well.