Help! Indefeatable Pop-Up! | FerrariChat

Help! Indefeatable Pop-Up!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by El Wayne, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Can someone out there please tell me how to get rid of this thing? It's immune to pop-up blockers! What I'm getting is a small window with "Messenger Service" in the upper left hand corner and an "X" to close the window (which works) in the upper right. At the bottom center is an "OK" button, which also closes the window. The problem is that it keepes reappearing every few minutes and it's driving me nuts! Here's the message:

Message from www.1puff.com to You on 2004-3-25 19:37:15

ONE PUFF and you will be hooked!

LEGAL WEED! You will LOVE this stuff!!!

Visit www.1puff.com right now!

How do I kill this thing? I tried running Adaware, thinking I might have picked up some spyware somewhere, but the scan came up clean. Help!

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    delete all your cookies and internet temp files should get rid of it. you may have to clear your history as well, but only do that as a last resort. " persistant cookies" are hard to get rid of, though adware should have gotten them my.02

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks, but those were the first things I did. Didn't help.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry....... have you tried restarting the computer? the popup has to be told by a "cookie function" to keep coming back. if you are on a high speed connection check your firewall setting for the ip address and block it. ( ie zonealarm pro with web filter) sorry i could not be of more assistance, been up since 4am..... back in college at night full time again. long long day!!!!!

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Hit control+alt+delete... find the "msmsgs" service and end it. Then go into Control Panel -> Services and find "Microsoft Messenger Service". Change it to NOT run at startup - just disable it.

The MS Messenger service is supposed to be for things like sending messages over a network, but spam hounds abuse it to send messages Internet-wide to people on their lists. Microsoft should turn it off by default but they don't....the reason you're having a problem is that it's not an Internet Explorer window, but it's a tottally different function in windows, and the ad-blockers aren't catching it because it's not a piece of adware - it's something that MS has enabled that you need to turn off.

Hope it helps!

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Actually forget about the control+alt+delete thing - just go into services (under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services in XP... or get to it through computer management). There is an option to stop the service there - just do that and it will end cleanly. Change the "startup option" from Automatic to Manual or Disabled.

You'll be good to go

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks

Diabled it. THANKS!!!!

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    While that solved the symptom, the root problem is that your machine is capable of recieving these popups. Get thee a firewall, either hardware based or software based. If th messenger service is reachable from the outside, so are your shared folders and such.