Picked up a kart, now I'm going racing | FerrariChat

Picked up a kart, now I'm going racing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by sherpa23, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I used to race 100cc karts in Miami when I was a teenager but thanks to some new business ventures and a very fun and productive day in a borrowed 125cc shifter kart, I am contemplating taking the plunge 11 years later.

I ordered a 125cc ICC engined (vortex) TonyKart Krypton shifter kart today and I think that I might race this season. It's going to take me a little while to get the kart set up properly and get the times down but I was pretty good as a teenager so there's no reason that I can't be competitive again with some practice, however, I would like to get any advice that I can from you guys so that I can get back to a competitive level sooner rather than later.

This was my first time in a shifter kart and ever seeing this track and even though I only ran a limited number of laps and I was improving every lap, I'm about 4 seconds a lap (1 minute track) off of the competitive drivers in my class. I am hoping that I can shave off about a second a practice session until I get down to the decent times. Obviously decent kart set up will help with that as well as learning the track (30-40 laps is obviously not enough to learn either the kart or the track) but how much do things like tires affect the times?

Do any of you guys who race shifter karts have any suggestions or tips? I am not looking to get to any next level, just have some fun and enjoy some competition. And win. I would be lying if I said that I didn't care about winning. :)

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I missed out on a nice chassis for $700 on ebay.Someone called 2 mintues before me and used the Buy it now.That sucked.

3. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Its going to take some time, but anyone with reasonable skill can make a go of it. I assume your doing sprint racing only and won't venture into the road racing scene which was what I have more experience in, although I did sprint for several years. Your best bet is to hook up w/some other karters at the tracks your heading to this summer. Ask questions w/o being to nosey b/c most won't tell you everything. Tires and gear ratios will provide your greatest jumps in the learning curve b/c it will take you a few race weekends getting use to the shift points and the speed when your butt is 2" off the pavement. Some local suppliers may be able to lead you on a good path w/componds and gearing and having several sets of tires ready to use on a given weekend is nice. Establishing contacts locally with these retailers is helpful b/c they know what people are buying and it doesn't hurt when your spending money!! The Rotax from what I remember is bullit proof w/maintenance with specific tuning via pipe & carb tuning and that you will learn too. I ran 250, 100 open and stk appearing classes for 8 years in road racing everywhere from Daytona to RA, The Glen. Don't be surprised if you become addicted to another toy.

Regards

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks for the responses,guys. I will let you all know how it goes.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I've run Formula A and F125 for many years and was lucky enough to always be at the sharp end of the time sheets. If I may pass some wisdom along it is the following:

1. In a kart, every time your steering wheel is turned, it is costing you speed. While eliminating steering input is impossible, always have in the back of your head that you must strive to keep the steering straight.

2. Wheelspin destroys the tires and overheats them. Really work the throttle hard to minimize wheelspin and maximize grip.

3. Always take a nice cool down lap. It goes a long way to making the tires and engine last longer.

I figure this is a good primer for you as you have already raced. Good luck with it.