enough about the 612 | FerrariChat

enough about the 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Prancing_Horse, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    look

alot of you think the 612 is ugly

I have no idea what your talking about

The 612 looks Awsome!!!

its looks like a modern version of a 250 GTO!

I dont want to hear anymore crap about the 612s looks

thank you

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I don't know Dan... sort of. The 612 could have used the GTO's air intakes, IMO. The body is too uninterupted, if that makes sense.

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    What about the aerodynamics of the car with the air intakes a la GTO?
    But indeed it would look nicer..
    After looking at THAT pic of the blue 612 over and over , I find the car looks nice in that angle!

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yeah everyone, enough about how we all liked the 612 better the first time when it was named "Hyundai Tiburon".

LOL, this car is one ugly bastard, and if you think it's hot then I'd hate to meet your girlfriend/wife. :)

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you don't like the comments about the 612, simply avoid the threads were the 612 is being talked about. Simple solution to a simple problem.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm not so sure about the 250GTO comparison, but i think the outpouring of vitriol over the 612 is starting to smack of "methinks thou dost protest too much".

i didn't have to go take a cold shower the first time i saw pictures of a 612 (but don't get me started about the 250 GT Series II Cabriolets!!!!), but damn if it isn't growing on me.

i thought the enzo looked "silly" the first few times i saw pics. man it's grown on me though.

what magazine does that "car designer critiques car designs" feature? they do it as like a two page spread or something? i'd like to hear what car designers have to say about the 612.

and please let's give the "asian designer" crap a rest - that's just BS and generally uncool to boot.

personally, i like the back end. it reminds me of the 550, but it's more curvaceous. more sexy on the back. though the hip above the rear wheels could be more "filthy" to fit my tastes. i've never been a fan of subtle side indentations - i much prefer the meaningful meaty stuff like on the mid-mounted cars. and the hood i'm still out on. there's a certain 996-ness to the headlights. but the hood is hardly 'ugly' - it's got lots of graceful lines and flow to it.

i was never a fan of the 456 aesthetics, but i understood why and how it "worked".

if that magazine has done a piece on the 612, i'd love to see a post of it.

doody.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I pushed your pics a bit closer together....

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Thanks, Mark, I realized I had done them too big. Different blues, but it gives some idea...

Edit: now, with regard to the long nose, the GTO clearly has an equally long nose in relation to the rest of the car. But, it seems to me like there's 1. more roll to the hood 2. more point to the nose, rather than the broad smile and 3. a steeper sweep down the rear of the car, of course to the lip spoiler, which the 612 also does not have / need.

I think the front of the 612 is too broad, especially when you see it next to the GTO. I think it's lines aren't as sweeping too.

2nd edit: also, note the huge wheel arch on the GTO. I think that's what really pulls everything together which the 612 is seriously lacking. The Vanquish - though straighter, less curvy - also has a wide rear wheel arch. the 612 does not have this, and it harms the total lines and the profile.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yeah I see 2 blue cars but they dont look related. Its an insult to mention the 250 gto looks anything like that pile of cow dung, never saw a 2+2 gto. The 612 looks like it got creamed in the side or someone who styled the coves used to design vettes. Too long and a silly looking front end. They goofed when they ok'd that design.

10. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I am a fan of a number of the 2+2's, including the 456. But, I just can't warm up to the styling of the 612. I would agree that it does have a very asian tone to it. If the 456's have dropped heavily in value, I can't wait to see what these will do. That styling is just too....ugly. Sorry, but I rather have the 456.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Me too. I really like the 456 A LOT. More in proportion, sleeker...
    someday...

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Except that the 612 is about the size of 1 1/2 GTOs. I don't think the 612 has any business being a Ferrari, I think it is more suitable being a Maserati instead. But I guess Ferrari had to go the corporate way if it wants to survive in the modern world. :)

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The 612 looks about as much like a 250GTO as my A$$ crack looks like Cindy Crawford.

14. blackslade02

blackslade02 Rookie

Dec 15, 2003
    Your @$$ crack is lookin' pretty good!:D

Just kidding... I don't think they look similar either, and I think the 612 if Fugly (no pun intended with the F).

15. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I think it is beautiful

16. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    More 612 bashing in here I see. It's a popular target for the usual dart throwers on this board. For those that don't like it, mention that you don't like it when asked but don't troll the board looking to start a fight. And to those that do, don't attack those with different tastes. Again, to each his own.

I think P4's are absolutely hideous. There, I said it. :)

17. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't see the point in a 2+2 if the two rear seats are useless. I would say most every owner buying a 230k 612 would have another car so what is the point of the useless back seats? If it is for the few times you drive your kids around, obviously you would not be tracking it with them so what is the point. If you want a performing 4 seater it should at least be able to carry adults in the rear, if not I don't get it.

18. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I think you are blinded by the badge on the car AND you are insulting the poor 250 GTO!!

19. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    it's so ugly i can't believe they had the balls to release it

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Why do you say the back seats are useless? They look fine with good knee room and the factory have said it will be able to carry 4 adults. I fit in the backseat of a 456M (granted, I'm not a tall person) and the 612 should have more space than the outgoing car.

21. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have been in a 456 and in my opinion the back seats are not made for adults. To me, adult size back seats in a coupe are what the cl500 offers.

22. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    250GTO comparison? Forget it. Nothing can compare to the GTO. I think the original poster was merely saying that the side of the 612 is a bit plain and could use slots like those on the GTO.

23. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The 456M backseat was tight for me. A regular 456? Forget it. Won't know for sure until I get a chance to try a 612.

24. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  25. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    What I love about the 612 is how it holds true to Ferrari tradition, but is still modern and high tech instead of a clumsy retro remake. The headlights are a perfect example-- the way they are exposed lamps on a rounded fender is exacly as it was done in the 60's, except with Xenon and modern projectors. I don't know about the GTO, but I would call the spiritual ancestor of the Lusso. I can't help but wonder what the cross section is of people who don't like the 612, but love the Testarossa.