High speed problems that mechanics can't test? | FerrariChat

High speed problems that mechanics can't test?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PSk, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This week I have had my family Toyota car serviced by a Toyota dealership. First time I have ever had a car serviced before, usually do it myself, but haven't got the time to waste anymore.

Anyway this car has a driveline vibration that is hard to notice unless you are cruising at 120 km/h or above. My father who is a retired A grade mechanic noticed it with in 5 minutes in the car and I had not even approached that speed ... I was impressed.

Anyway so I asked for the dealership to look at it, etc.

They rang me and said that they could not really feel anything, and they would just rotate and balance the wheels and give it a wheel alignment. My father and I are pretty damn sure that it is the driveshaft and it really is anoying at over 120 km/h, but the service department said they cannot test at those speeds. The mechanic managed to get it up to 110 but that was all he was prepared to go up to. Note the speed limit over here on motorways varies from 90 to max 110.

Thus how do you guys deal with this restriction with your much faster Ferraris?, because I have now got a car back from a AUS$500 service (yep Toyotas are cheap to service) that is otherwise perfect except the vibration is still there at over 120.

I do not want to just say balance the driveshaft, because I could be wrong and would expect them to know more about these cars than me.

Anyway, your thoughts would be interesting.

Pete

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Sounds like you may have a bad U-joint. Unfortunately sometimes you have to try to solve a mechanical problem by process of elimination, i.e. replacing parts.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I have thought of that. I guess UJ's are not expensive and a major hassle so I will replace them and see if that improves the situation.

I would really have preferred for Toyota to have sorted this out as they had the car for 2 days ... oh well, sometimes you just have to rely on number 1.

Pete

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    First check the nose angle of the differential. If this is too far off, it causes a double speed vibration in the drive shaft through the back u-joint.

Then; You need to walk through the drive shaft with a dial indicator looking for worn U-joints or bearings.

In neither solve the problem, have the dirveshaft examined by a driveshaft service. for ture and balance.

5. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Pete--Sorry for the late reply...but, one suggestion. We have an issue of some customers complaing that they have a vibration at over 100 mph, which is serious finds in the state of confussion called California. One way to solve this, is to have the tech punch out, and have the customer take the tech out at the speeds. The customer then has full liability over anything that happends, and the tech can feel the vibration. So, ask your dealer if this is an option for you.

Good Luck

R

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good idea. May end up doing that ... hope I do not scare the mechanic ;)

Reminds me of a great story I read somewhere, related by the passenger. I'll see if I can tell it right:

I guess to Bruce those speeds are nothing ... but to mere mortals a different story :D

Pete

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hey, as far as I know all mechanics do their high speed testing on the race track or otherwise closed course.

Customer deomonstrating the problem is also acceptable.

8. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    what kind of car is this? Not too many Toyotas with U-joints.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is a people mover called a Tarago GLX. This car has the engine on its side under the drivers seat (2.4 ltr straight 4 ... probably twin overhead cam ... but have not really looked that hard :D). It is rear wheel drive via independent rear suspension and yes does have a shorter than usual driveshaft with UJ's each end ;)

Pete