2004 Canadian GP saved!! | FerrariChat

2004 Canadian GP saved!!

Discussion in 'F1' started by F1racer, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I'm so happy right now!!!

Source: http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=65471

''The once threatened Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal has been saved after a package of compensation was agreed with Formula One's governing body over running the event without tobacco sponsorship.

The race was struck off the 2004 schedule when it became apparent that it would no longer be exempt from a tobacco advertising ban.

The Canadian Grand Prix found its way back onto the calendar - provisionally. To secure its place organisers would have to compensate tobacco sponsored F1 teams for the revenue they would lose by competing in the event.

With the support of the Canadian government, race organisers have now agreed a deal with Bernie Ecclestone to compensate those tobacco sponsored teams.

The federal and Quebec governments will each contribute US$4million while the Labatt brewery will put up a further US$3.5million to sponsor the event.

"We are happy to have reached such a conclusion when this summer we estimated our chances to have Formula One with us again to be rather slim," said Canadian race promoter Normand Legault [pictured].

"For the Canadian Grand Prix team the bulk of the work remains to be done - to prepare and sell the event to ensure in large part the compensation payment to the teams," he added.''

>>I'm going to see this GP!!

2. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    tickets are now on sale on the official canadian grand prix website => http://www.grandprix.ca

There's also a price promotion to buy them before the end of Jan 2003 at 2003 prices. In January, the prices go up. I wonder why!!!

3. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Good news is the GP is on in Montreal, that bad news (for me) is that we will go there instead of to the Historic GP in Monaco (with a side trip to Maranello of course). Not really bad news I guess, either is a great event to attend. And I can drive my 308GT4for Montreal again. That would make it four years in a row.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Nice to hear it's back on the schedule again.

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    halleluiah. this is a great venu. and the town is a great place to party. the clubs ROCK!

6. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    what's really good is that it's back to back with the usgp. two races in a row without going to europe. guess we better get on the ball and get those senna turn tickets now.

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Is there an official date yet? The web site says nothing, and since I bought tickets last year I get first dibs on the same seats (Senna)

8. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    June 11, 12 & 13

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  10. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Race date is June 13. I am not relying on them contacting me in relative to last year's seats. It looks as if they were caught completely off guard by the inclusion of the race. Going for GS 12 or 11 this year. I need the longer walk to my seats :)