maserati QP questions | FerrariChat

maserati QP questions

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Does anyone know if/when the quatroporte is coming with a V12? I recall that it will, as it makes sense for a performance oriented to company to offer something competitive with AMG/M/Porsche products...and for gods sake, offer a true manual and an AUTOMATIC for this car! I think that a 612 engine would be PERFECT!

2. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Personally, I don't really feel that it needs a 12. While 12 cylinders do make the sporty engine roar, and the smooth revving of a race car; it also has the downsides, such as lower fuel economy and enhanced maintenance costs.
    The v8 currently in the Quattroporte makes plenty of power and torque for what it is, a luxury sedan that I, (as I am sure you) would be more then happy to drive to work daily, or drop the kids off at school in.
    While it may only be a 4.2 liter v8 (consequently the one being considered for the 360 replacement as I understand) it will make power and take the high rev beating of a sportscar.
    Compete with E55, M5 and Porsche? Well, maybe not, but it does have a style and elegance that puts it above the rest. As I understand it, only the bmw developed RR Phantom would offer the same type of name stuck on it, and personally the QP does look much better.
    You do have to remember that it isn't exactly aimed at the same crowd who would be purchasing a 575 or a weekend cruiser. I do understand your point that perhaps you might enjoy a manual transmission, they could do that, perhaps in a sports package of some sort, but do they really need to? What is wrong with the electronic assisted manual it has that you'd push for an automatic? While it might not be your cup of tea, I'm sure it would grow on you.
    If I had the need for it, I wouldn't second guess purchasing a Quattroporte, Would you?
    CS

3. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I have heard that the QP will eventually come with a true automatic, but haven't heard much about a regular 6 speed. Also, the Italiaspeed website is speculating that an enhanced version of the QP will eventually become available, possibly with a V12. Not sure how reliable their speculation is, but looking at the recent test mules of the next-gen coupe/spyder, they have been in the ballpark before.

This probably does not help much, but since I will be talking to my dealer soon, maybe I can get some more information...