Veyron to be speed limited | FerrariChat

Veyron to be speed limited

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by ryder, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I hear the Bugatti Veyron is to be delayed for up to 15 months.
    Bugatti claim it's because of meeting high finishing standards demanded by parent company VW, but others are saying it is having stability problems at high speed (the only thing going for it), and it is to be restricted to 215 MPH. This car is a joke!

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Have you driven it? I haven't, so I have no idea if its top speed is the "only thing going for it" or if it's "a joke" as you put it.

Above 200MPH, even cars that are setup correctly can flip end over end if they catch just the right amount of air. It happens constantly at Bonneville, and it's a real problem.

I don't criticize any company that stops a car mid-way through development in order to make it safer, when clearly they don't need to. The market is so rich right now that the Veyron could debut and sell 100 units without a problem.

To put that in perspective, McLaren's sales goal for the F1 was just 100 road cars and even with the most positive press you've ever seen they only ended up selling 64 for the road and less than a dozen modified race-specific cars. The F1 lost money, even at $1M per copy.

Good for Audi. Get it right or don't produce it.

3. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    I have heard that it will be restricted to 186 mph.

If you want to do over that you have to call Bugatti who will send a nice man to fit high speed wheels and tyres and turn of the limiter.

The car is a bit of a white elephant. There are so many better options for the money like an F1 and change of an Enzo and 575 or whatever else takes your fancy

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    somwhere I swear I read only 25 to be built...cant be that few right?

5. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    You're not thinking of Maser's MC12 are you??

6. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Well I couldnt care less about wether or not some car can do 254mph, just as long as VW/AUDI lets the Veyron acheive the press figure that impressed me the most:

0-186mph in 14 seconds...*******!!!! :)

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Word has it that may be bad news as well.

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Just simply sell the computer chip to "uncage" the car.

Sure you are not going to sell many chips.

But those are going to be very very expensive chips. LOL

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Sorry, wrong. McLaren planned to build 300 Road cars and there are 29 GTR's in total. McLaren also never planned to make a profit. They broke even on each car.

10. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Sorry, wrong again, there are not 29 individual GTRs, you are mixing in over a dozen road cars that were CONVERTED by the factory to GTR models. Plus, the goal of 300 was only voiced at the very beginning of the project, by the time the car neared completion it was reduced to 100.

Thanks for playing. :)

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 95 gtr's are not converted road cars, they were intended to be gtrs when built. They were almost identical to the road cars though, with the addition of the wing, ground effects, different front bumper, different interior etc. The 96 gtrs were not so similar. Btw, there are 29 different gtr's (29R is a spare chassis, painted in primer).

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Get the book Driving Ambition. I have it. All the info you want to know about the Mclearen F1 cars is in there.

13. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Will a speed limiter be a problem? How many of us drive 245MPH to work...not me, although I walk. They should produce some with, and some without so they can capture some records.

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

i have 2