Black Visa / Mastercard | FerrariChat

Black Visa / Mastercard

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by warrenn, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Black Card for Visa or MasterCard? Maybe not because visas and mastercards are issued by individual banks and companies where as Amex is handled by themselves??

2. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Nope, many have tried, but just don't have the "prestige" and services of the AMEX cards.

3. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought Mastercard offered a "World Card."

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I have a Black Mastercard. The benefits offered by it easily outstrip the annual cost.

5. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I used to work in the banking/credit card biz and from what I remember Visa and MC both offer NPSL (No Preset Spending Limit) cards which are similar to an Amex card in that you can spend whatever you want as long as you pay it off in full every month or something to that effect, but they don't have the services the Amex Black offers. There is also the World Mastercard which GarnetRedCoupe mentioned and it's more along the lines of the Amex Black, but I've been out of the loop just a tad too long to really remember what it offers above an NPSL card. They also offer business/corporate-type cards which can have some special features on them as well, but they're a totally different animal from a personal account like an Amex Black. Anything above that I'm not sure of and would be rather special and rare that I never had the chance to deal with.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I don't pay much attention to this sort of thing, but I did receive a letter from Bank of America VISA the other day telling me that they're introducing a new card (which happens to be black, with a silver stripe at the top) next month and were sending me one at no additional charge over my current account. I can't tell you what the (alleged) benefits are or how they compare to AMEX, as I didn't much care and didn't read the stuff too thoroughly.

7. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    I have a question.

Ok, I have Platnium visa and master card. Both have I would guess ok limits for my age. But I always max them out at least once some times twice a month, on personal but mostly work related issues. It would be nice to have 1 card with a large limit!

So I called in and asked for it to be raised to my average spending per month and then I got a letter saying NO.

What gives I spend that amount everyone month almost. And I always PAY it off. Why would they say no because im still young? Not enough credit yet?

Is there something I can do?

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have a black U.S. Airways Visa, with no preset limit, that gives services like a 24 hour concierge, and automatic upgrades on flights.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I was just offerred this as well by Alaska Airlines...not sure why they are pushing it so hard. They offerred the upgrade at no charge, and would give me a bunch of free miles to boot, along with all the stuff you mentioned. I passed for now, cause I would get a new card number, and have to update my profile with Hertz, Avis, Expedia, etc..

10. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
  11. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    I guess the answer to this question is yes there are visa and mastercard cards that are black but no they are not comparable to the Amex Black by any means. Unless any of them automatically get you automatic upgrades to 4+ airlines, car rental companies, hotels....

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  13. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    How do you recievet his so called black card? Do they just look threw reports then offer them to certain people?(who have lots and lots of money)or is it done by request?

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Your bank invites you to apply if they like you!

15. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Visa offers a Signature card. Amex Black still offers more benefits. If you don't travel alot neither is worth it. If you do travel alot and have the type of resources that afford you a Sig or Black card you most likely have a person that can take care of you on a one to one basis.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I have heard that one can apply for the Black AMEX. Anyone know?

17. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I've had a black AMEX for about 2 years. It was offered to me by AMEX bcz of the previous 12+ months of speding. From what I was told, it's not something you can apply for, rather it's invitiation only. Personally, it's been of very little use to me. Then again, I'm not one who travels a couple of times per month. For somebody who does, I'm sure it would be more useful. The concierge service they offer is top notch, but I've honestly found that many times it's easier to take care of things myself, such as reserving a table or reservations.

18. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    yes you can apply for one. "apply for one" meaning you can call them up and ask them if you qualify for the black card. They'll tell you over the phone. If you do they'll transfer you to the centurion division.

19. fj0

fj0 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mario B
    I am not in that league but out of curiosity, what type of figures of spending are we talking about, in order to get a black card? :)

20. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I asked a rep what made me or anybody else qualify and she said if you spend at least $20k/month for 12 or more months, you'll qualify. A friend of mine who has one said he was told he had to spend $100k/year on his to qualify.

21. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    F360@20: I'm 23 and have abut $40,000CDN in credit(3 cards plus a line of credit) and about $9000US on 2 cards. Not much by comparison probably, but the US one keeps going up more than the CDN one. Jumped from $5000 to $8000 on one of the cards in a month.
    From what I've seen with CitiBank Canada, and asked about their policies, they will offer you an automatic upgrade every 9months based on the spending. If you want more than their automatic upgrade, they want to do a credit check, not something I'm too fond of really (the more credit checks a lender sees the less chance of you getting approved). My advice is instead of calling them, just wait a little bit. Or call them and ask how often you are eligible for an automatic increase.
    I'm about to apply for the Amex Platinum and hope to have the black by next year as well.

JeffB: Does the concierge service (reservations and such) cost extra or is it included in the fee? I plan on using most of the services available anyways as I fly to/from the Caribbean 6times a year, plus other travelling too (med school). The companion ticket would come in handy too (sister is also in med school).

Finally
    does anybody know if there is a CANADIAN provider that offers a black card? Or if Providian (US) offers one?

Gagan