Dino246, then 328 GTS, now THIS!!! | FerrariChat

Dino246, then 328 GTS, now THIS!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by audionut, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to post that I have just become the very happy new owner of an 86 TR Norwood Twin Turbo TARGA! Yes, this is the one Robert Klein wrote about a few days ago. the seller, Charles Larman, has been an absolute gentleman and above board in every way during this transaction.

Car was purchased by him in 86, then sent to Straman for a Targa conversion. Charles hates closed top cars! Then between May 95 and June 96, the car was sent to Norwood for the Twin Turbo conversion. don't know the exact RWHP, but Charles remembers it to be around 900hp. There is a nitrous system but has apparently never been used. Maintenance has been down by Continental Auto Sports in Hinsdale, Il. Interior was changed to Blood Red using factory Connolly leather to reflect the owner's preference. Exterior is black. Car has 27,007 actual miles, only 5000 since the Norwood conversion. Charles has a stable of amazing cars, including an F40 he sold 2 years ago to Chris Parr. He is apparently waiting for delivery of a BEntley Continental GT, and already has plans for that baby!

I am flying to pick up the car tomorrow and driving approx 550 miles home...nice way to get acquainted! Will post pics once I figure how to do so!

Leakdown and inspection shows the car to be in amazing condition, less than 1% variance in all cylinders.

Special thanks to RJKlein, who put the word out, and was instrumental in aiding the purchase process, the good folks at Norwood (both companies!), who spent a lot of time enlightening me about the process, conversion, pros and cons etc, Robert Calisi for all his help and advice about importing into Canada, and Charles, who has been wonderfully patient and generous.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

2. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Wow, congratulations on the purchase. It's gonna be like Christmas in your house...

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Adrian,

Congrats! That's a hell of a stable you're gonna have there. Good luck with the new purchase. I can't wait to see the pics!

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    What's that sound I hear from the rear of the car...tick...tick...tick...tick...

EVERYONE CLEAR OUT THERE'S A TIME BOMB IN THAT ENGINE BAY! :)

Seriously just kidding, Norwood is a hot topic on F-chat, lots of spirited discussion about that shop. But if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. Congrats and enjoy in good health!

5. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Thanks guys. Really looking forward to having fun with this beast! The engine was rebuilt, with stronger rods, internals, sleeves, intercoolers etc. Engine management is a Motec M48(?), completely software adjusted for proper boost so the the driver cannot easily screw it up. Racing clutch was installed, along with new gears. The previous owner doesn't seem to be a drag racer type, just loves to customize and boost the potential of his cars. Only thing I will do later is add bigger brakes.

Mako, you're a little ****! (JK!!!) Hell, you only live once, and from all accounts, this car is really well built. And if it does blow up, you can be a pall bearer!

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    LOL, nice!

7. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Congrat, Adrian
    You beat me to it. I got Charles phone number 3 days ago, as I was interested, too. $50K for that car is very good, and Norwood is near my home (about 20-30 min.). I love the color combo, too. I'm working on a deal on another car right now, if it didn't turn out, I was going to call him!

Let me know how your trip back home turn out!

Yoshi

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm very happy to hear an fchatter bought that car. At that price I was seriously debating on going after it myself. I couldn't easily afford another TR, but at that price you'd be fool to let it slip away. Just awesome! That is just a fantastic deal !!

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Talk is cheap!!!!! We want photo's!!!!!!

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Adrian..I guess were going to have to have an up close look at that one aren't we!!

Congrats on the car!!

(I gues I know why you didn't make it to the shop today!!)

Tom

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    where are the damn pictures, dude!?!?!?!!?!?

congrats!

doody.

12. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Thanks everyone. I am really stoked about this. Plan to really use it most of the year until the weather gets really bad.

Tom, I will see you next Monday...in the rain predicted! I will post pics as soon as I take them tomorrow, after I get back.

Good to see you on this board Yoshi...hope your search goes well.

Doody, next stop a 550!!!

Got to build a bigger garage now.

13. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    "900hp" ? Waaoouuuu!
    How is the chassis done stiff enough for so many horses?
    Get a picture it in your profile please :)

Congrats!

cinquevalvole

14. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Congrats, Adrian! Great to hear that you purchased that awesome machine. Wow, that's going to be some drive home! Enjoy :)

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow wow wow!!!!! cant wait to see pic of the whole stable of horsies!!! did i read the thread wrong ??!! $50k????? my gawd!!!! what a deal!!! with all the cheap TR's and 348's maybe a euro 308 will fall out of the sky in my lap!!!! congrats on a great car!

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #16 wax, Apr 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Updates: the car has just received a major tuneup, done by our very own Tom Bakowski. Belts were about 9 years old, a little age worn but didn't seem stretched or cracked. Mind you, the previous owner drove only 5000 miles or so after the last belt change. Also did a couple of hoses, spark plugs and wires etc. Original clutch was absolutely fine, water pump rebuilt preventatively. Total cost was about $3500 US. Tom is a champ, totally honest and very competent.

Right after the tuneup, the car feels even more amazing, if that were possible. Both Tom and I noticed it right away, it pulls incredibly smoothly, drives like a normal TR up to about 4000 rpm, then when you stomp on the gas, you hold on and watch out! I have never felt anything accelerate so quickly! And boy does it want to pull! The accelerator pedal seems totally effortless above 4000rpm, almost feather light. The scenery seems to literally melt and blend, and the distant car in front of you comes up VERY QUICKLY. With the MUCH bigger wheels and tires (335/40/17 if I remember, at the back) the car feels incredibly planted and solid. Yet at no point does it seem to wander or follow road grooves.

The BEAST is currently at the auto detailer getting some well deserved TLC. All interior leather trim including seats coming out for reconditioning, buff and re-dye. Exterior gets at least 2 wet-sand treatments and wax, all little dings/chips filled in. Engine bay gets complete treatment. The car will be cosmetically perfect when Adam is done. Incidentally, Adam used to own a top detail shop in Dallas, and often restored cars and participated in Pebble Beach concours. Should be finished by Saturday.

After all that, the BEAST goes on a dyno for final tweaking to the Motec fuel management system.

Can't wait!

Projects for next year...update the engine system to Norwoods newest work. I am sold on James' great work. Incidentally, Norwood's invoice showed the specific mechanic who worked on the separate systems...James Patterson, current owner of Norwood Performance rebuilt my engine. A total of 4 mechanics were responsible for the total work, including fabricating custom exhaust, electronics, wiring etc.

p.s. I cannot seem to load pics. If anyone can help, I can email pics of the car before all this work was done.

18. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    So you decided to keep the car after all?? You PMed me to sell the car to a friend, so what happened? You successfully nego'd w/ your better half, I guess.

Hope you'll be able to post pics! (I really don't know how, too)

Norwood is only 20 min away from my home, so I can always test drive the car for you! They do great jobs!!

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Adrian,

you're my new hero. I still remember when you got your 246 on the old chat. Seemed like only two months ago. :)

You've got the fever. Congrats on the new car!

Now post some damn pictures already.

20. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Tiger I am sharing the car...my friend and I are going to spank this bad boy together! Vincent, thanks for the kind words, and I remember the old Dino threads, some of the most hilarious, with pics of Dean Martin and Dino of flintstones thrown in! LOL. How is the 355 working out?

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    So, Adrian, you will now feel the POWER of a big ferrari, in spades! Enjoy the car; sounds like a good one. NOthing like 12 cyl. and an open top in a Ferrari.