Importing PDF Files Into Pagemaker... | FerrariChat

Importing PDF Files Into Pagemaker...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    HELP...!

Can someone help me please...?!?

Trying to import an Adobe Acrobat file into Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 Plus and i keep getting an erro: PDF Filter Error: Generic Failure with some code at the bottom that reads like so: 8601:30225

Wait, it doesn't stop there... After i hit okay to make the error window go away, i'm not able to do much else... For example, after that, i try and go to a different page within my Pagemaker document and ANOTHER error window pops up; that one says: Cannot go to page. Internal error: Table is still checked out. Then another code at the bottom reads: 8012:20552

Can anyone help me...? Does anyone have any experience with this stuff...? Anyone familiar with these problems...? Please let me know as soon as possible... It's very important; thanks, everyone...

:)

2. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone...?

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have you tried copying and pasting instead of importing? Open the file with Acrobat, then cut and paste it into the pagemaker doc.

Also may be able to convert it with photoshop to an AI, or tiff or jpeg, but you'll probably have to imbed the fonts.

Acrobat is tough, I work with it some and it makes my life harder than it needs to be.

Good luck.,

4. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I haven't touched pagemaker in years, but it is a fairly well aged program at this point and from what I have managed to dig up, the PDF import is a hack and is riddled with problems. I would recommend converting the PDF to EPS or just opening it up into Photoshop and saving it out from there as EPs or a TIFF file. If you really get stuck, e-mail me the PDF and I will convert it for you.

-ag

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A.G. & Dave, thanks... After spending some time on the phone with customer service, we realized that there are more than a few problems with importing PDFs into Pagemaker; especially since Pagemaker is 6.5 & 7.0... i appreciate your help and will try these suggestions (at least until Pagemaker is updated)... A.G. what is an EPS file... That extension is vaguely familiar from my days of working with Adobe Illustrator (i think)... i'll certainly try that; can i just Save As and entitle it "something.EPS" or is the conversion more drawn out than that...? Thanks again...

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Quick update, A.G.; said file has been saved as several things including a TIFF and a JPEG; it turns out that things work best when the file is saved as JPEG, but we were wondering if that step was avoidable and if there was a way to just import the PDF file directly... Maybe not...

7. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    If I remember correctly Adobe End-Of-Lifed Pagemaker and will not be relasing another major verion increment. Their flagship layout program(which kicks ass I might add) is Adobe InDesign.

EPS = Encapsulated PostScript, and you are correct about saving EPS files out of illustrator. As far as JPEG v TIFF I would side with TIFF. JPEG is a lossy compression format, and TIFF, while offering the ability to compress, does not give up quality to the same degree that JPEG does/

Good luck with your project!