Paintless Dent Removal | FerrariChat

Paintless Dent Removal

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by philh, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philh

philh Rookie

Sep 29, 2003
    I think I'm going to get sick. My 360 Spider that I just got and only has 178 miles on it got a small "ding" on the front fender. When I found out it was my own daughter playing in the garage.... well, you just can't get get too mad at your own kid - especially when she comes down the stairs crying and is holding $200 in $5 dollar bills that she earned from Birthdays and wants to pay for the repair....

Anyway, was wondering if people have had success with Paintless Dent Removal - I know the panels are pretty soft. Also, if anyone has a recommendation for someone in the Washington area, I'd really appreciate it.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Paintless dent removal, my Lexus is brandnew again and you can't tell.

Whatever you do, do not reprimand your daughter. It is only a car. I let my daughter (2 years old) play inside the Ferrari all the time while i am in the garage. Whatever she breaks, daddy can fix.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes my fcar had drivers door dent that came out perfect for almost nothing $. relax and do it

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was skeptical, but they do an amazing job. Relax, they can fix it.

5. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I have used paintless dent repair on several of my cars and have always been happy with the results. Including recent work on my 1988.5 TR. Go for it. pd

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    okay - so how do they do this paintless dent removal stuff? do they just bang at it from the inside? or do they do some weird stuff with extreme cold or hot temperatures?

i've always been curious how it worked.

doody.

7. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Phil, relax it works great. I used one in the Todays man shopping center on the corner of Nebel and Randolph road in Rockville. I think it was dent wizard or dentworks. They did a 911 I had and it came out perfect. Check it out.

8. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I have seen good results but haven't tried it myself. I fully concur with your instincts on the reaction. Daughters nobodies selling more of. You and I make the decision to bring our toys into our loved-ones lives.

9. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    Any one know of a quality franchise that does this stuff nationwide? We have a dent wizard in our town. same kind of service?

10. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    The local guy here is apart of the " Dent Doctor " If you go to www.dentdoctor.com it will give you a list. Also call all the high car dealers, they use these guys all the time. Moving cars around the shop ect...

Good luck, and what a great little girl you have raised, bless her heart.

Rob

11. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    What a coincideDENT! During last weeks high winds a branch fell out of a tree and hit the roof of my M3. A guy from Dent Wizard just looked at it and he can fix it- he'll remove the headliner and go from underneath. Phil, the number is 1-800-336-8967 or 1-301-881-0770 (Rockville). www.dentwizard.com. They send somone to you.

Doody, metal has memory and if coaxed will return to the original shape. They use slim metal tools to get behind the dent and massage them back into shape. It really is incredible.

12. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Not all dent guys are good, try and find the best guy you can usually thru body guys that work on Ferrari.

I just recently had a very small ding on my rear butress panel on my 328, I took it to the only guy the paintshop that resprayed my car uses, the only way to access the ding with his tool would require a hole being drilled, he was smart enough to know by looking at the area of the ding their was inner support metal that would hamper his tools ability to do the job and make it worse, I ended up having the panel fixed and sprayed instead, an inexperienced guy would have drilled a hole and made the area much worse than before

13. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have used Dent Magic locally in Houston and they do a great job. Have yet to have a ding they couldn't get out. I have watched them and they slip a thin metal rod behind the panel and gently massage it out a bit and then tap it back in to place perfectly. Definitely get a guy that is used to doing highend cars because I am sure there is a learning curve. Only once did they have to drill a small hole in the door jamb of a 996 that I used to have. He used silicone and a small plastic plug to cap the hole and it looked very professional as if it had always been there. Good luck and no worries.
    Bill

14. philh

philh Rookie

Sep 29, 2003
    I'm kind of concerned because the ding is on the curved part of the fender, about 4" behind the headlight. Not sure how they will be able to gain access to this area without drilling into the fenderwell liner. Maybe they could remove the liner?

My other concern is that the dent removal guys don't have experience working on F-cars - and the metal on an F-car is much softer than a regular car and more care is required.

Are my assumptions correct?

15. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I can recommend Dent Wizard of Leonia, NJ. The guy there named Sharhay has performed nothing short of miracles for me. Good luck.

16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I used them on 2 separate occassions on 2 different cars. Great results. Better than paint, etc. If it doesn't make you happy you can still repair/paint.

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My Suburban had hail damage that was repaired by a paintless dent removal shop. They did a great job, I can't find evidence of any of the dents.

18. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Does it work even on (very) small dents that you only see at certain angles, like those small parking lot dings commonly seen on doors. My 328 has one of those on each door.

Thanks.

19. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I'm averaging 1 ding a year. Visited the local Dent Wizard 5 times now and everytime he gets the panel back perfect. Same guy and he's charged me $75 each time. Good luck Phil.

20. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Yes Ron, the small ones are easy for those guys and you can get them to do both for the price of one.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

22. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    PS- Dent Wizard fixed my roof on the M3 today. Just about perfect and no damage to the headliner they had to take down. So happy I dont have to look at those dings forever!! Phil go for it and call them- in my experience they would not try anything they would think made matters worse.

23. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Relax, it works great for dents that don't break the paint. I brought my BMW X5 in for service at BMW of Manhattan, they did a review as part of the regular service and fixed shopping mall sized dents! They did such a good job I brought my 355 in after my 2 year old drove her doll carriage into my rear quarter panel. I hit the repaired section with several coats of Platinum ultimate paint protection (UPP) for protection. Net/Net you can't tell it was ever hit.

24. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    There are different methods. I was talking to a guy who use liquid nitrogen or something and freeze the metal, then a blow dryer to bring it back out. This is big in Colorado where they have hail the size of basketballs. Some use wood tool, some metal. Check around to see what they have in your area.

Accept 1/2 of your daughter's money, and she will learn a valuable lesson and be more careful around your car. It will also ease her guilt. Then give it back to her at her next B-day.

25. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    My brother has been doing PDR for 10+ years in Dallas. Not everyone can do this stuff... there are a lot of people in and out of the business.

Finding a good PDR guy is like finding the right doctor to do your open heart surgery (maybe that's exagerated :) ). Find someone who knows what they're doing and has lots of experience. But overall, it absolutely works (assuming your paint isn't cracked or chipped).

Good luck!