308 Engine Stand? | FerrariChat

308 Engine Stand?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308tr6, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I plan on starting a tear down of a 308 in the near future. Anybody have an opinion on the best engine stand to use? Also, is there a specific reference manual available (like a Chiltons, Haynes, etc) for working on 308 engines? thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No Chilton's sadly!

There is a factory workshop manual I think would be handy.

It says helpful things like: "After removing the engine from the car....."

3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I use the Harbor Freight 1000 lbs. stand. Less that $ 50.00

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #4 Peter, Mar 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Regardless of what brand of stand you choose, just as long as it sits on four wheels. The stands that are on three wheels should be banned - they're very dangerous as they're very tippy. Avoid them like the plague. A friend of mine broke his foot when one accidentally got knocked over and it hit him!

As for reference manuals on rebuilds, there are pages of it throughout this site and others. Use the archive search (sorry I can't be too specific, but there's so much info here, just search by a description, method, or areas of the car and you'll find something).

The photo below is from when I did my engine-out service. Hard to see from the photo, but you can make out the four-point foot print of the stand. A three-wheeled stand would only have one castor wheel at the end of that long member. That's over 500+lbs of engine sitting way up there!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login