328 Seat Belt Retractor | FerrariChat

328 Seat Belt Retractor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robert Mann, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Okay, I know this is an easy one for someone, I just have not done it before. The driver's side seat belt retractor is very slow, or not at all at times. How do I put tension back into it ?

Thanks as always,

Robert Mann

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    This may or may not be a related problem: Mine is 'sticky'. You pull it out and it locks up partway. Repeated tugging eventually releases more and more of the belt. It's the auto-locking mechanism being a little over enthusiastic. Maybe the cure for yours (when someone posts it) will fix mine too!

3. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Possibly someone will see this post this weekend and help you and I.

Robert Mann

4. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Maybe it's a simple problem.
    Mine were like that when I bought the car but all I did was clean them well and carefully spray a bit of light lube on them.
    Mechanism seems to be good at collecting crud.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I has similar problems with mine, on the driver's side. I had my mechanic fool with it, because I am too chicken to screw with what I think is a crucial part of the car (for my safety). Not sure what he did, but my point is that it is fixable (works great now). If I were to guess, I'd say lubrication/cleaning is probably the right path.

6. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have same prob with my 78 308. Slow to retract, grabs when it shouldnt, AND the belt is fraying on the sides which slow it down and allow it to twist and bind more often. I am going to wait and rebuild my self with new belt material and take apart the mechanism as described in several Archived threads such as this:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/288903.html

7. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Interesting--

I pulled the mechanism off and all is clean and the spring is fine and it works fine just holding it in your hand (when you have it at the correct angle). It seems as if the belt is draging across the carpeting behind the seat belt retractor and possibly that is what is slowing it down. The carpeting is tan and you can see black marks where the seat belt has drug across it. I blew out a "smite" bit of dust and gave it a "sprintz" of light spray lube. I will try a couple of flat washers behind it to kick it out from the carpeting this weekend and see what happens then.

Thanks guys,

Robert Mann

8. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    use tefflon spray, this won't come off all over your clothing

worked for me

9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    When I got the 77 gtb a month ago, the drivers side belt would not come out without a lot of fussing, holding down the little catch with a finger or key.
    The expedient soulution turned out to be swapping belts with the passenger side. Slifde the plastic cap off of the top and pry the bolt cover off the bottom and take out the three bolts, all nuts were "captured" in the body,
    During this process, I looked at the drivers side and it appears that a small positioning spring on the little flat locking bar on the bottom of the belt assembly is missing. I will do a post when I have a good reference for the spring.
    On the above mentioned post, I noticed one available for $254??.
    The used car dealer found one for me at $90. but I figured I would have a shot at it before dropping $90 plus freight.

regards,
    chris