Red hot header | FerrariChat

Red hot header

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WaltP, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I just went for a short drive after changing plugs and wires on my 308. When I got home I opened the engine compartment while the engine was running and noticed that the headers(where you can see them) at the sampling fitting was glowing red. This was at all 4 aft fittings. I never noticed this before but then again I don't remember looking at it running at night. Just looking for some reassurance that all is well. BTW...the new plugs and wires made it run much better that it was.
    Thanks!

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    your safe! give it a good blast at night and open the hood it glows quite well!

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I've never looked for this, but, I'd check your plugs with a plug cut (lean?)

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Guys I've never seen this over the last 3 years I've had my 308. I do not have the alum. insulation cover on my rear header so I can see the whole header and even after running it hard I have never seen the headers glow.I would suspect a lean mixture issue or a timing problem here. I have the air pumps removed and breakerless ign and run at 7 deg advance with a little rich mixture which seems to work well for me.