Did it! Just bought Dino 246GT!! :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did it! Just bought Dino 246GT!! :)

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Wow, what a mint example! Congrats. Love the color. Drive it in good health, from one owner to another!!!

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Where about in Central VA are you located? My in-laws live at Smith Mt. Lake and I'm in the area frequently on summer weekends (with a Donzi, the lake can be fun!)

I'd love to take my car up that way -- there are some terrific roads in the area.

3. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    We're in Charlottesville -- come on up. We're moving to a new house in a couple weeks in Earlysville (just NW of Cville). Gonna built a mega garage there. :)

4. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Certainly will drive it!

And polish it! And polish it...and...

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    You bought it!!!! I knew you would!

The 246 is such a nice car and you have one that looks perfect and with a very nice blue.
    Take good care of it. :)

Congrats!

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    You're never going to regret this purchase. And you're never going to get tired of taking the Dino out for a spin. Lucky dog!

I'm considering a car (non-F...sorry) in VA right now....if I pick it up, mind
    if I stop by and drool??

p.s.: I SURE hope you will take and make available some nice hi-rez pics once you take delivery!

7. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Sure, where is the car you are looking at in Va?

Yup I'll post some good pics once I get it. :)

8. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Scott, best of luck.

9. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Congratulations!! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. A couple of items:

1) Did you get the books and tools? Sellers love to keep them and it cost me over $5,000 for a complete set of books and original tools. Ridiculous, but necessary for concourse.

2) It appears you don't have the spare tire T-handle tie-down. VERY hard to find these days and very expensive. See if you can get it from the seller.

3) Your throttle idle control screw looks like it's not touching the round (oval) control plate on the engine. If it's running fine leave it alone, but if you find it running rough or stalling out (or going into fuel starvation in quick turns) then adjust the screw to raise the idle. The plate itself may no longer function (it was designed to turn as the engine warmed up, presenting it's "flat" side to the screw and thereby decrease idle speed.

4) All dinos ooze a little oil. don't be concerned about a few drops on the garage floor. Not worth an engine rebuild. The key word is ooze, not leak. I also presume you did a compression check with leakdown?

5) Have the carbs synchronized immediately if they were not already done. They go out of synch after a while, and the difference in performance is amazing. It's a fairly simple job.

6) All the power is above 5,000 RPM. Don't be afraid to drive it in this range. If the engine was properly maintained it is bulletproof.

Have fun. Best looking and sounding Ferrari I have ever had.

10. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Gorgeous car! Congrats, a true classic in every sense!

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    SWEET CAR!!! Enjoy!

12. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA

Solly
    Thanks for the tips. Yes the toolkit and books are included. I'll check on teh tie-down. I did a PPI with full compression check and everything was buttery smooth! Engine bottom was very dry of oil -- no leakage could be seen (but plenty inside!). Only real issue is the front bushings need to be changed sometime.

Looking forward to learning this car inside and out!
    Scott

13. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Get the front bushings changed asap. You will be amazed at the difference in the ride. We changed ours as well as the shocks a few years ago and the ride was much improved, not that it was bad before. Also be kind to your second gear. Do the old skip second gear trick when the car is cold. Second gear is the weak link in the Dino line. Too bad you can't take a few days off and drive it back to VA. We are having a Florida Region FCA meet next starting on Thursday evening at Sebring. I have driven my Dino at Sebring and it is a great ride on that track. Have fun with your Dino, I love mine! By the way, who was the previous owner of the car?

14. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    sweet, you will make Frank Parkers day with the fact it has no ferrari badging :) good luck

15. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yep I passed on several cars that had the Ferrari badging smacked onto it!

16. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks Debbie. I will have the bushings changed out soon. I was considering driving it back from FLA but decided I didn't want to put that many miles on it right away. I want to baby it a bit first. ;-) Plus we're moving to a new house in a couple weeks so my hands are full!

Scott

17. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Scott,

Congratulations! What a beautiful car! I am soooooooo jealous! :)

18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Absolutely GORGEOUS CAR!!! Mazol TOV!!

19. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Lovely car! I had a chairs & flares GTS for 17 years and enjoyed it a lot- hope you do too. I'm in Charlottesville often, as my son went to UVa and stayed after he graduated. Actually, he and his wife live in Earlysville, so maybe I'll see you exercising the car when I'm in the neighborhood. Good luck with the new car and the move!

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Fantastic!! Possibly the most beautiful shape ever to be on 4 wheels.

My brother in-law is doing his residency at UVA - next time we visit he and his wife, I will drive the Ferrari and swing by to check out your beast!
    Enjoy!

21. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks guys, if any of you swing down to the Cville area just drop me an email -- would love to see your Ferrari and show you mine!

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    What a beautiful car. Congratulations and best wishes.

Dom

23. Grande

Grande Karting

Dec 6, 2001
    Congrats Scott! I know you have been looking for a while. Enjoy the new ride!

Mike

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Awesome car, congrats, drive it in good health.

25. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!