Results of the 'Send in your $5.00' thread | FerrariChat

Results of the 'Send in your $5.00' thread

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    To my amazement, I had a PO box full of donations from $5.00 to $20.00! Why did I post this thread? I got the idea from a story of a lady a few years ago that took an ad in the Enquirer that read "Last week to send in your ten dollars for Jesus". In a week, she had over $60K! I thought I would try out a similar thread on FChat.

In cahoots with a couple FChat partners-in-crime (that pumped the thread a bit), the thread got over 1K hits! Being very vague with questions posted to the thread and a variety of emails, I lurked in the shadows (and laughed a lot!).

Yes, there was no grand prize. There were no charitable donations to Jesus. Just a fun thread! What I do know is this: Those that sent money are the true risk takers, people that will say "WTF, maybe I will really get something out of this"! Risk takers often get big rewards in life. If they fail, they have the moxy to get back on their feet and try something new. These are the people that take risks and sometimes fail, but for the most part, really prosper in life (IMO).

For those that sent in money, they will get their money sent back to them with a nice gift box of Godiva chocolates........What should my next FChat prank be?

Pete

2. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I found this thread on Wed., so I just gave up sending after e-mailing to Bruce, but wondering what it was. Good thing you're telling what it was. Then again, you may not be spilling out w/ the truth :) There's always 2 ways to looks at things. But I do appreciate coming out w/ this thread, so my curiosity is satisfied.

Old Bruce was a partner in crime!!! having all sorts of fun.

Now you have a list of people who are "risk takers". F-chat investment group is ready to take off, hehehe

What is your afterthought on this prank? Was reaction greater that you expected?

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I noticed there wasn't any explanation.You guys are so bad:)

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    So what was the total Peter? :)

5. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I dont' agree with doing that, its a hassle for people and they might have gotten their hopes up about a prize...but if your sending it back with a box of chocolates I guess thats something...

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Who said there was a prize??? All I stated that there was just one more week to send in your five dollars! I never said there was a grand prize! The chocolates is the least I can do (Which is worth at least five bucks!).

ps: BRUCE was not the only one in on this!

7. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Believe me, I have no problem with you, I really like you and appreciate the help you've given me, I guess its more the others in the thread that perpetuated the idea that there was a prize involved, still like you said, the chocolates compensated for the hassle involved and I'm sure most involved will be happy with the outcome.

8. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

Yes, I'm interested to hear what the end result was too.

-DC

9. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I do hope you mean EDUCATED risks. To simply take a risk for the sake of doing so is not exactly smart. Unless you know the possible outcomes and a general idea of how likely they are, its not worth doing. People who take risks without knowing what they are doing may reap great rewards for awhile, but they will eventually lose it by continuing to take risks that aren't justified. Just my opinion.

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Eos...I was pretty tired when I made this first post. You took the exact words out of my mouth that I was too brain dead to come up with!!!

Total: $145.00 (Included a $20 from our friend in Canada)!

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL PETE!!!!! I knew that's what it was. Like I said been there done that, won't do it again. It is also why I said you guys are talking too much. The less you say the more people speculate on what it is. Another reason why I said it was for braces, Hahahahaaa. I think Pete has done two things. Given some of you a very good education, and second Pete had a little fun without hurting any one.

I have seen just about every con under the sun. I once got burned by a childhood friend's MOM, for a nice amout of cash. Still haven't seen it to this day. I will say what most of you have heard and now know, that, almost always if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't true. In VERY, VERY rare instances it is true. I have only come across one.

One of the fun games we used to play in high school was asking for a dollar. You would ask someone if they had a dollar that you could take a look at. Soon as they gave you the dollar you would inspect it then hand them a note. The note would read "If you want your dollar back you have to get it from another person by giving them this note". LOL we would get a good laugh at how long it would go on.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Wait a second, pal... I sent $150.00 myself.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Too funny Peter. However... instead of taking a risk of any kind, maybe it was more about: well.. all my friends jumped off this bridge, so why don't I? =)

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Who sent the most cash?

15. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    nice idea, I wouldn't of sent the money back myself, I would of just given it to a charity

nobody could of complained about that

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I dunno,

Seems kind of dumb to me. Smelled like a pyramid scheme from the outset.

Oh, can I have my $5.00 back, please?

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good one....now...last days to send in your money for ROE!
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9626

18. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

of course it does. you're $5 poorer and peter now has $145. I think it was an awesome idea.

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    All checks, cash and chocolates were sent out today, UPS Ground!

Thanks to all!

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

LOL thats pretty funny Peter. I was wondering what Id do with my windfall, but I guess I'll only get fatter with some chocolate. No harm in a little fun.

21. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

PETER.. A LITTLE FUN WONT KILL US...

YOUR A CLASS ACT!!!!

BRUCE

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #22 62 250 GTO, Apr 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought you were trying to be nice. Those pink packing peanuts taste like crap! I choked a dozen times tring to eat all of them! Thans for nuthin'!

:) Fancy box as well. I thought the lesson you were giving might be "risk management". :) A little blind faith, is never too much to ask. As long as you get stuff back in return! That's why I believe in God. And for my blind faith I am blessed with good friends, family and that collection plate I stick my hand into!

Here's to you Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

You're giving the money back!!! With candy???? What about the rest of us, who pumped it? hehehe. Might be good to try again in a year or two.

Art

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

You're giving the money back!!! With candy???? What about the rest of us, who pumped it? hehehe. Might be good to try again in a year or two.

Art

25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Peter, that's really awesome of you... i'm just now seeing this thread for the first time... i thought it was really hilarious and i'm glad you posted the results... Very cool stuff...