Replacing AC belt in 512TR ? | FerrariChat

Replacing AC belt in 512TR ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    How difficult is it to replace the AC belt in my 512TR ? The mechanics had the engine out but they left the AC belt off, Duh!!! Now I'll have to get one to climb over the engine & install it with the engine in the car

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If it's similar to a TR it is difficult but not impossible to do.....you already have the right idea. Climb over the motor. You may have to remove the small panel just behind the rear window to get access to the area. It would have been gret if Ferrari in their wisdom had made an access panel in the firewall to get to things like this. Good luck William!

3. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I just replaced my ac belt for the third time in a year. The mechanic removed the panel behind the rear window and went in over the engine. He said it was tight quarters. The previous owner replace the compressor and went with the new refrigerant and I guess the new pulley is slightly different from the original. The factory belts loosen up after about 100 miles and come off. This belt that I am using now is not a factory belt and it seems to be lasting longer than the rest and it hasn't loosened up yet. My next alternative is to replace the compressor and or pulley.