F40 Requiring Rebuild-Valuation Advice | FerrariChat

F40 Requiring Rebuild-Valuation Advice

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Red348, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red348

Red348 Guest

Yes the title is correct. It is a 1990 Red F40 (non-cat, non adjustable chassis version) with very low mileage, but because it has been left unattended in poor storage conditions, it requires an almost total rebuild.

The rubber is all melted and peeling due to heat, paint is patchy, all hoses, electrics, pumps and possible engine and turbos will need quite a bit of work.

Does $160,000 sound too much for this car? If I buy it, will I be able to make some money doing it up and selling it?

All serious opinions are welcome.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You will spend more money fixxing it than you will be able to sell it for. Unless you are planning to keep it, or hold on to to for a great deal of time, it may not be worth the expance. This isn't to say that you can make it better that new. Roland's F40 was raised from the dead, and it is one of the greatest examples of an F40 I have ever seen. He did however spend a huge amout of money getting it there.

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How has the car been stored? Where did the heat come from that detiorated the rubber pieces? Is the car TRULY low miles or are there signs of higher mileage? Can you elaborate more on the condition of the car? Whatever you do....don't divulge the location of the car until your sure you aren't going to buy it.

4. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I think you speak to Mr Roland Linder. He knows what it takes to get one in top shape. His number is in the Rock Moutain area.

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ahem...brunei f40?.....

6. Red348

Red348 Guest

k5mcl is close. Rich person owned the car and son did not care for it after he died. Part of his inheritance I believe.

7. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder

Ernie is right, all depends what your long time plan is. It's very costly to rebuilt an F40 because they are very few parts available especialy if you go the "original: road. In my case, I did a full LM spec car so I didn't have to
    respect any of the street rules..and specials parts could be found in the racing market or home made.
    Good luck but be carefull if you go that route, usually a running shape is a better long term solution !!!
    Roland
    F40LM

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good to see you again, Mr. Linder. I re-read the forza article on your F40 and i am still speechless.

9. giamma

giamma Rookie

Nov 4, 2003