'04 Honda S2000 | FerrariChat

'04 Honda S2000

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kiesan, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    So who has driven an '04 S2000? Anyone here own one? I'm seriously giving consideration to one for a daily driver. I like the 4-wheel motorcycle concept and have a truck for anything I need to cart around.

The dashboard looks like it got lifted straight off a Honda RC51 Superbike

First scheduled tune up: 105k miles

According to temple of Vtec they have 243 or so rwhp bonestock out of the crate

sleazebay Honda dealers whore 'em out brand new for $30k

Opinions?

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I have driven several 2000 - 2003 models (the old ones w/ the 9000 rpm redline). I just drove an 04 last week.

I LOVED the 2004. Some people who own the 9000 rpm S2000's have redline snobbery and act as if the new car isn't as good. However, I drove it, and I was VERY impressed. The car finally has enough mid range and low end grunt that you don't feel the NEED to run above 6000rpm to make a decent pace.

That being said, you will not hesitate to run it to its 8000 rpm redline several times a day. The 04 felt much more solid than the 03's, and I liked the wheels better. If I were buying a car for the race track, I would buy the 2000 - 2003. However, if I were buying a car that would be driven more than 1 or 2 days a week, it would without a doubt be the 04.

A great car. A good resource (though it used to be much better) for learning more is www.s2ki.com

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    It's a nice car, the 2004 is definitely a step above the torqueless wonder than the previous car was, however when you go to S2000 boards you see one common thread above all others:

"Trading in my S2000 for an EVO 8."

What happens is that these guys get serious about tracking their S2000, and then find that there's no real way to increase power short of a tack on s/c which costs $5k from Comptech. And one you've seen the backside of an STi or an EVO too many times, it wears you down. Can't beat em, join 'em.

But for a top down sun cruiser it's a nice car.

4. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I test drove an '04 also(never driven a 9000 redline model). I wasn't very impressed with the performance(240hp, and 162lb tq), however, I must say I don't think I've driven another car that handeled as well as it did. Very responsive. I'm also looking to pick one up as a daily driver car to beat on. The reliability is certainly very attractive.

Bottom line: If it's exhilerating performance that you want, the S2000 is not where it's at(most run low 14sec 1/4mi., about the same as my Lexus LS400). If it's a reliable, "fun in the sun" sort of car with a little pep, then the S2000 is on the money.

-DC

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I like the 04 the best so far. I like that it has more low end grunt and for a semi-fast convertible cruiser it's tough to beat. Not expensive enough to think twice about parking it anywhere and not common enough that you pull up next to yourself 30 times a day.

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I've got an 03 that I'm very happy with. I haven't driven an 04 yet I really didn't think the extra 8ft lbs of torque would make much of a diffrence over the earlier models but I will have to test drive one to see.
    Kiesan the 04's have 240 horsepower same as the ealier models however 04's have 8 more ftlb's of torque over the earlier models.
    Good luck finding a decent honda dealer, I know from my experience they are one worse than the other. However it is a great product.

7. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    I own a 02 with 9000 rpm redline. Torque- less wonder ? I guess if your used to being a lazy slob and can just mash your fat foot instead of attacking the corner ahead of time this is not the car for you. No maintenance required so far , other than oil changes every 5,000 miles. No leaks either under the car or from the top. Have to own a rag top in my case and 0 to 60 in around 5.5 seconds ,top end of 159 mph ,amazing brakes, good in the corners all from only 2 liters for $34,000 you can't beat that. Go to the track and see what type of lap times the little Honda is throwing out. At least I have a sportscar to drive when the 360 is in for it's bi-monthly warranty repairs .

I drove a 04 and they have changed the handling somewhat a little less intense that the previous model. Dyno'd at around 265 at the crank none the less, even though it's still advertised at 240 hp like the older models.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry WFO, but when you have driven the S's big brother as much as Mako and I have, you are left lacking.

Personally, I would say used NSX or get on the list for the Lotus.

9. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Obviously a used NSX is a better car than any S2000, but for a daily driver, I think the S2000 would be a great choice. I haven't driven the 04 yet, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with either.

I guess if you own a ferrari, you might feel safe leaving a used NSX in any old parking lot... I for one do not.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    How do you guys feel in the seat, spacially? I sat in one and felt clostrophobic with the top down. I'm 6'2"--just curious.

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm 6'3 245lbs and I'm very comfortable in my S top up or down. I went 380 miles one Sun. with no problems.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Just how much power can a blower make with the compression ratio already above 11:1?

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Netviper, I when I was member on Prime, I used to do just that (within reason) as my car was my daily driver, thus leaving no choice. I never had a major problem. Most thought it was a tarted up celica in my town.

I recall your story though with the white NSX, though.

14. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

A supercharged S2000 is only usually running deep 13's at the track(very few in the 12's), so, it's not really worth it for the supercharger. It would be smarter to run maybe a 50-75hp shot of nitrous if you were looking for a bit more than a stock S2000. As far as upgrading, there is really not much you can do performance-wise to the S2000's. Exhaust and a header yield maybe 5hp(not enough to warrant performing the modification), and are expensive. One of my main concerns with purchasing the S2000 was that I would get bored with the performance very quickly. I figure this is good for a couple reasons: That I don't spend extra money on aftermarket parts, and that I can focus more on the handling aspect of my driving.

-DC

15. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    I owned several NSX's great cars, last one I put 80,000 rental car type of miles no issues. A S2000 is alot like a sportbike you have to plan ahead of the corner so you can make the most out of the power. It's just a different way to go fast, not that one way is better than the other. It's a blast to hear the little motor scream at 9000 rev's thru a tunnel.

Plus today here at the beach it's 80 degrees great day to run errands top down and check out the talent in their new bikini's.

Except for the fat one with cottage cheese thighs ,WFO didn't like that.

16. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    An aquaintance of mine claimed 108 HP from his SC. Drove it and it felt like 108HP. It was crazy! 348 HP in a car like this is very fun. Price tag for the upgrade is steep though, around $5k for the kit + labor of about $1K is what I was told. His was a 2003, and obviously no more warranty on the engine.

17. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    You can get dealer installed, and retain the warranty. Don't forget for one second that the 240hp is measure at the crank, and it's more like 190RWHP. So, that would put you just under 300rwhp with a supercharger, exhaust, intake. Not very much, but the weight makes up for it, and the low 13's are right on par with this performance(providing you drive it like you hate it).

-DC

18. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I personally would not supercharge the S2000 because it just makes more power above 6000RPM. That is not what the car needs. It needs more TQ. If there was a SC that gave it 50-60 more TQ at 2000 RPM, the car would be amazing.

That said, I hear the 2004 is much more daily driver friendly. You don't have to drive it like you hate it.

19. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    lol, more like 200rwhp

I like the pre-2004 S2000's better, 9000rpm rules!!!!!!!!!

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have been driving a 2001 for about 3 and a half years now, and while I haven't driven an '04 yet, I'll make a few comments regarding the posts:

- the '04 is ~10hp up in the band all up the scale. providing with the increased power, but same peak power, plus the 17" wheels over the 16" wheels, the '04 S2000 gets placed in A Stock and pre '04 models are in B Stock in the local SCCA groups. It is that much faster.

- when you think about the little mods to do to this car, it's difficult to justify some of the high dollar per hp increase that you'll get out of it. But one thing to remember is % increase. So, a SC providing ~90-100hp increase at the wheels (typically ~200 stock to 290 and change), you are looking at ~30% increase in power at the wheels. That's quite considerable. Think about an exhaust on an already high hp/torqued car. If you start with 300hp and gain 100, the increase is much less at peak.

- warranty on SC's is granted with a dealer installed Comptech unit. Comptech works with AHM, not to push their parts, but to be more dealer friendly mods. However, you'll work with dealers that mainly sell $15K Civics and anything, so much as an air freshener that is added will void your warranty because they don't want to shell out dollars to help you out. this is very much the truth for 90% of the dealerships you'll work with - trust me on that one.

- Comptech, who builds superchargers, uses the Paxton Novi SC. Paxton is owned by Vortech. Vortech also makes a kit which comes standard with an aftercooler for just a few bucks more than the Comptech unit. Comptech also has an aftercooler, but it is designed and built MUCH better than the Vortech unit. If you are tracking the car, there is no doubting the Comptech w/aftercooler as the choice for forced induction.

- daily driving the car is fine, but as a sports car, it still gets tiring every so often, getting in and out of the seats. the interior isn't that roomy, but two guys, two helmets, a week's worth of clothing - yeup, I've done it for 7 days to venture out to a track event at Laguna Seca before. It is possible.

Lastly, I've driven many many S2000's that have been SC'ed with Vortech and Comptech and also naturally aspirated ones as well. Ridden in several NA and FI'ed S's on various tracks (TWS/MSR/Laguna Seca/Thunderhill/Willow Springs just to name a few). There IS a difference and they will hold up just fine. The cars I've ridden in / drove at the track, they have many track miles and all seem bullet proof as far as the motor goes. However, other problems always occur, but those are little mute points until you are serious about racing the car/tracking the car.

21. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    What sorts of other problems?

-DC

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You only need to monitor greatly if you track/heavily autocross your car. And I mean heavily by... well.. if you do a season, that isn't heavy.

- differential: the weak link on the car. doing some 7 or 8K clutch drops tears that thing up and the pinion starts to backup and will shred up the gears.

- front a-arm brackets on pre '04's. only necessary when running hoosiers or victoracers at the track, or esp. on concrete autocrosses for extended periods of times. the brackets must be reinforced, or they will separate out. this might bump you out of stock class as well, depending on the admins of the solo events.

those are the two majors, other than that, nothing wrong with motor/tranny at all, nor anything electrical. but again, these are just cautionary for heavily tracked/autocrossed cars.

23. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
  24. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Well, if you head on over to the S2000 forums, you'll see that the modded ones(exhaust, chip, intake, etc...) are around 190-200RWHP. The highest I saw without Nitrous or Supercharger was 207rwhp.

HTH.

-DC

P.S. Temple of VTEC is obviously snorting massive amounts of coke.