Wrenchers! | FerrariChat

Wrenchers!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    OK guys...
    do many of you work on your cars???

I find my self longing for a "Ferrari Corps"

I belong to the Lotus Corps here in the area, and these are some serious wrenchers. 3/20, there is a "Mini-clinic" where the subject is my brothers 1978 Esprit S1, and the belts are going to be changed. A huge project, done at a members garage, only charge is for the parts. These guys have helped out soooo much with the Lotus, and always for free and with a smile.
    Before having the Lotus (aquired in 2001), I knew about nothing regarding how to fix 'em, and my knowledge has grown considerably. Any chance of a similar animal here in sunny Chicago??? Save $$$$, learn more about our machines, etc...
    thoughts???

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    The MG club has the same thing, tech sesions are always a good way to start

3. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Kim and I do almost all our own work.. I painted the Lambo at Kims before she sold her place and fabricated everything for RHD conversion on one of the replicas.. we rent a few garages but I'd love to have a local space we could all share that had a lift and a few big items I can't fit or use in my space, like a welder .. I REALLY need to find a space I could borrow one of those..and a milling machine, plasma cutter etc.. lots more I'd like to do to the cars but just don't have a place to do it. And if the other members wanted to help and either teach me something or learn how to do something I'd be thrilled.. I'd pay a membership to be in a club that would give me access to something like that.. and I'd be happy to have my various projects be someone else's learing experience :)
    chelle

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ah yes...a lift...power tools...a welder. When I was a Teenager. My StepFather owned an Auto Repair Shop in Berwyn. I would work for him once in a while...evenings and weekends...for a little extra cash...(Burning up those Tires...Buying Headers,High Rise manifolds,Big ol' Holleys,all that good stuff) He would always stick me doing the Grunt Work...

But,also in exchange for Lift Time,use of POWER TOOLS!!! And A Welder.. I learned alot from him,and had it easy when I wanted to work on my car,as opposed to wrenching in the garage with HAND TOOLS.( My Knuckles hurt just Thinking about it...:( )

Or at High School Auto Shop,where we only had less than an hour a day to do things to our cars. I took Auto Shop all 4 years,and tried to take it twice in Senior year,but they wouldn't let me.

Yes,my Dream Garage will have a Lift,a small Welder,and a Huge Compressor...to start with...:)