Why I drive a 550 (108108). | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why I drive a 550 (108108).

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bart, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, thats a 150shot. Havent had a chance to try and do a 200shot. I havent really done much drag racing in it. My buddy with identical car and setup has though. On motor, he's turned 11.60's @123 (basicly stock motor, just exhaust and air filters). I dont remember his exact times on nitrous, since he has experiment with both 150 and 200 shots, but i do know his best mph was around 140, with severe traction problems.

2. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

You are very brave just to take a 240Z above 55 mph. I think at about 60 the thing starts to vibrate parts off...

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Do 10 year old diablos still exist, i thought life expectancy was only 5, unless you put a ferrari V12 in it.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    If you ever come into the real world and actually own a real car, you may have an opinion that counts. Till that day, keep your head up high, and keep dreaming.

5. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    As I can see AllanLambo is at it again! Don't pay too much attention guys!

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Umm
    Not sure where you get your info from, but a 430RWHP car weighing 2000lbs will run 9's. Ellen would require 900hp to win. The argument is pointless though, as you could build a car for 10K that would beat it on a drag strip, but which would you prefer to own? (as long as you took the SV graphic off the side :) )

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Stephens, i drive a pink Diablo with yellow polka dots all over before i drove an E55.

To run 9's the Datsun would require serious mods and no longer be a street car.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Allan,

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH as usual! The thing is...nitrous is like cheating! It's a BS quick fix then your car blows up!

Kinda like Barry Bonds on STEROIDS! Doesn't really count! Bring that Sh!tbox out to Decker/Encinal/Yerba Buena canyon road(s). By the time you get through in that straight line wonder of yours...Ill be sipping on my second martini!

Edit: software wouldn't let me say sh!tbox without mods. Does it still count?

DL

9. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    #59 G-force, Mar 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you are really that lucky...I'll stake you in a poker tourney anytime! :) and STILL leave Allan's sh!tbox in the canyons.

Cars on STEROIDS...next Oprah!

Edit: Your Viper looks as though it lives up to its' plate.

DL

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Rule of thumb - never set yourself up to be slapped around like a mouse by a cat.

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    As usual Ellen you are full of it. There are plenty of cars here in Australia that run 9's and are far more streetable than a Diablo.

This thread was about the 550, yet again you have turned it into another excuse to foist your "vote Diablo for best car in the world" dribble.
    Name ONE independent magazine that has even NOMINATED the Diablo for performance car of the year, let alone given it the win. On a circuit it takes the Diablo GT to even match the 550.
    Back in '96 I was given a Diablo VT as a loan car for a week, in an effort by the sale guy to do a puppy dog close on me. The induction roar on the Diablo was intoxicating, but the interior finish was not up to par, visibility was a joke and front clearance was a major problem. To make matters worse, the car was too wide to really throw around twisty roads and it couldn't keep up with my Porsche 964 Turbo Cup in either a straight line or around corners.
    So get off your high horse, you own an obsolete second rate supercar. No amount of blustering and brow beating others will change that.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmmm, lets see, 6 years and my car has yet to blow up, with countless bottles run through it. But for you Darth, ill take off the nitrous, take off the exhaust and replace it with the stock one, and pull 2 plug wires off. Then ill give you a head start....

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

As a matter of fact, readers of the Dupont Registry, nominated the Diablo as not car of the year, but car of the Decade. Guess what, it won. Evo magazine, Diablo vs 550, vs Zonda vs Viper vs 360 .... Hmmm Diablo won. When i get home, ill post some mags for you of Diablo victories... just for fun.

As for the Diablo being as chuckable as a 964 Turbo Cup, you get the moron of the year award from me for that. Of course its not, The Cup car is a race car. The 96 Vt, is also nothing like my car. Its night and day.

As for Porsche, i had a fellow Fchat member and 6speedonline member call me yesterday as he was in Maui. I went and picked him up, and we went for a ride. He owns a 996TT, with some mods, makes 500RWHP. His evaluation on the two cars, when it came to power, both on par, he said it was a tossup, very similar. (i wasnt using nitrous btw) Of course he said the 996TT felt smaller, but i liked his comment that the car felt far more secure, without all the niggling rattles of the Ferrari he had recently driven. He now wants to find a Sv.

As for a Diablo being a second rate supercar, i can tell you this... 20 years from now, a Diablo will still be cool to drive, while any newer Ferrari 550/575/360/456/612 will be long forgotten. Every Porsche will fall by the wayside, not to mention every Benz. Just as today, after almost 30 years the Countach is still the king, and its performance so far ahead of its time that even today it can compete with the best of them, so will the DIablo.

15. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No one is interested what the Miami rice crowd have to say, as for EVO, the 550 was picked over the Zonda and the Diablo was not even in the mix. When has EVO ever done a comparison of the Diablo v Zonda v 360 v 550? I am a subscriber and don't remember that one. I do remember a Murci/575/996TT match where the Murci was given the nod, I also remember the Zonda/Murci matchup where the Zonda was picked.

There was a Diablo at the Superbikes yesterday, they ALREADY look like an outdated kit car in comparison to the Murci, I don't need to wait 20 more years.

As to the Diablo not being throwable, what use is it then in the real world?
    As usual you response is about HP. There are plenty of cars that have more HP, this doesn't make them better. The stability you so admire, is what makes the car so innefective on both a track or the twisty stuff. Your friends modified Porsche, will leave your Diablo for dead on the track or twisites in the right hands. This is a simple truth you don't seem to understand.

You protestations fall on deaf ears as your opinion counts for nought to me, as your priorities in a car do not appear to involve real world performance.
    This is all the more ironic, given where you live having no real facilities to utilise the strengths that the Diablo undeniably has.

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Impressive....most impressive.

Now THAT is the biggest crock I've heard since Bubba said he "Has NEVER had sex with that woman!" In fact, rumor has it that same passage is written over the urinal at the Jose Eber Celebrity Wanna-be hair salon in Beverly Hills.

I wouldn't know, I'm too busy driving...rather than reading 10 year old magazines about 25 y/o cars.

DL

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL Darth! The Supra was introduced in 93, so youre over 10 already.

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #68 allanlambo, Mar 27, 2004
    Stephens, even though you dont even own a comparable car, heres your EVo magazine. Funny you should be missing it.

Diablo...The Winner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #69 allanlambo, Mar 27, 2004
  20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    His profile says he owns a Gallardo... I'd say that's a comparable car.

21. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #71 allanlambo, Mar 27, 2004
  22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    He doesnt own a Gallardo.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #73 allanlambo, Mar 27, 2004
  24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That EVO supertest was the first Issue of EVO I ever bought and it is a great magazine. They went pretty crazy over that orange 6.0.

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan