SL65? | FerrariChat

SL65?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 575Mike, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I put a deposit down for an "SL65" a few months ago. My dealer told me it will be over 600HP so that appealed to me. It apparently will have a beefed up suspension, 19" wheels based on the FI Safety car. My dealer has very little information except that the car will be here "late summer". Anyone else out there know anything about this car or ordered one? Thanks.

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It'll be insanely fast, here's what you should've done though..

Gotten a SL55 and given me the rest of the money :D

Few things to remember, it's kind of hard to beef up an already very competent suspension, you are already riding air, all they did was do a little reprograming. Nothing big suspension wise. The 19" rims is right however and it also has the F1 Saftey car package which has different frong bumper moldings and a few rear moldings as well IIRC.

Be careful while driving though, no matter what you do you'll never get traction as even the cars little brother (The SL55) has trouble getting traction full power down. No worries! :D

If you want pics of a SL500 in any angle just ask, to imagine the 55's just think different seats and slightly different exterior regarding the tips, and the AMG kit... oh yeah and the stuff under the hood.

55 is to 500
    65 is to 600

The 600 and 500's have pretty much no difference, that'll probably be the same between the 55 and 65 with just a few minor touches. All in all, good job in being able to obtain the monster of a car. It'll be extrememly fast and I hope you post pictures of it whenever it comes in. That is one car I've been awaiting for. After that.. the only way to get faster is to call NASA :)

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Ricky. I appreciate the information. I have an 03 CL55 which I plan to trade for the SL65. The CL is super fast already. I'm not sure why I am even doing this or if I can even afford it! We'll see.

4. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    BJKim, what is the SL69? I can't find it in the site you refer to. Thanks.

5. BJKim

BJKim Rookie

Nov 1, 2003

S69 Ups The Ante In Battle Of The Giants

At the other end of the scale from the A-Class, Merc is building a luxury saloon with supercar performance. As the power struggle between AMG and the German maker's other affiliated tuner Brabus intensifies, the former is working on a new flagship, the S69 AMG.

Producing in excess of 675bhp, the model is set to be the wildest S-Class yet, with a larger-capacity version of the 6.0-litre bi-turbo V12 from the S65 (right). With torque expected to be in excess of 1,000Nm, finding a reliable transmission to handle it will have been difficult - but our sources say engineers have managed to do so. In preparation for the introduction of the newcomer, Mercedes has registered the S69 trademark, along with SL69 and CL69. That means we've got a whole range of flagships to look forward to.

source: http://www.evo.co.uk/

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    575Mike, no problem man, I live for Benzo's! :D

SL69 will be N/A, not turboed, so it's a whole different ball game. The 69 IMO is just stupid and pointless, but still extremely fast. I'm not worried about the transmission, I'm worried about how the heck do you get all that power down to the pavement without losing 50% of it to smoke!

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks very much guys. This is fascinating. Yeah, when I think how fast the CL55 is now (it's not too far away from keeping up with a 996TT) it really staggers the imagination that they are really going to build these things. I regularly blow the doors off of M3s, M5s, and Corvettes. I can stay up with my friend's Z06. I have hit the MPH regulator on two occasions. The car had lot's of room left in it.

I was offerred the "CL65" but I opted for the SL65. It's mind blowing what MB is building, isnt' it? Really cool!

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Whenever you think your car isn't fast enough and don't want to plop down the money for those uber (heh) expensive ones, tell me. I have a few guys that know a lot more about aftermarket tuning than me and know how to keep it within the price range of humans too! In a few years once I'm pulling my own income I know my dads R230 will be under wraps for a few months for a complete rebuild :D

Off Topic: What color is your W215?

9. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do you mean my CL55? It's black opal with java. I purchased it from Mark Motors in Chicago kind of on a whim. I wanted an SL55 but this car became available. If you are ever in the area, you can drive it. I still can't figure out which is the fastest way to accelerate -- put it in "sport" and stomp on it or use the buttons on the steering wheel.

10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Sorry, yes the CL55. That's a beautiful color combo! And trust me, I doubt you'd let a random 16 year old take out your AMG for a spin :D

Accelerate? Usually I've learned on these high end monsters it's easier to take it slow until about 20mph and then go at it without kicking down a gear. They seem to have enough torque to burn rubber in any gear!