Gran Turismo for PS2 - would you buy a Ferrari edition? | FerrariChat

Gran Turismo for PS2 - would you buy a Ferrari edition?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ForzaMe, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Gran Turismo is one of the greatest driving video games, but Ferrari is consistently absent. I read in CAR magazine that Ferrari charges too much for licensing so they didn't bother with Ferrari.

Imagine a Gran Turismo: Scuderia Ferrari Edizione video game...

You get all the standard tracks in the regualr game, but Monza, Imola, Mugello, Fiorano, and other world-famous tracks are added.

The only cars that you can acquire are Ferraris, from Villeneuve's F1 car to the current F2002, 250s, 308s, F355s, the challenge editions, the F50s, Enzos, F40s; if it's popular, it's in there.

You can race in F355, 360 challenge races and all kinds of other races- like a vintage Ferrari championship, F1 championship, etc.

And you get a kick-ass intro video, and throw in some video of Ferraris and a video with brief biography on Enzo himself.

Now I think that would sell like crazy. And since Sony says Ferrari's fees are expensive, just charge more for the game. I think PS2 games are $50, so charge $100-$200 for the Ferrari edition. Even with that high price, I still think it would sell... what do you guys think?

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I would be all over it!

3. udalmia

udalmia Guest

I would definetely but that even at $100

4. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd buy it, but I'm not so sure about the general population if it was priced 3-4x higher than most games.

5. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    There is a Diablo in GT3. As for Ferrari not being in it... neither is Lamborghini, Porsche, or a slew of others... simple reason is that the Need For Speed makers signed all of those guys on, and have nearly exclusive rights with the cars.

-DC

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Ferrari license is expensive but not to the point that it will X by 200% the price of the game.
    If they charge 10$ per game sold , im sure they will make money.

7. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just pick up Project Gotham Racing 2 for Xbox. They have:
    250 GTO
    355 GTB
    246 GTB
    275 GTB
    TR
    F40
    F50
    Enzo
    360 Spider
    360 CH

I think that's all. I'll have to play later to see if I missed any. But I would buy a Special Edition GT4 too!

Dave

8. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    No, I wouldn't. Still same crap AI - not worth $50 let alone more. PGR2 has the Ferraris mentioned above as well as the 360 Modena, 550, 575. Game is LOADS more fun than GT ever was.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Same answer and same reasons here. Nope, I wouldn't. Hopefully GT4 will have a better AI, even though there is no car damage - unless they are doing last minute revisions before the Oct. release.

PGR2 - while it might have those cars in it, it is just a horrible game. It is more of an arcade game, to walk up and play. Nothing to figure out, nothing to refine so closely as you can do in GT3. While GT3 might have a horrible AI, at least it is realistic.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    id buy it. love to see it with the S video cable and on my 55 in toshiba!

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    As long as it came with the PS2 itself.. there are so many good racing games for PS2 like Gran Turismo series, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero / 3, and a few other minor ones. Also SOCOM!

What does xbox have? Jack.. ****. I have ~100 games and when my friends come over we pick Dreamcast over Xbox 9 out of 10 times. I promise you that without Halo's ability to hook up two or more xbox's for that 16 player max capability, I don't think there's any reason for me to keep that stupid brick. Oh yeah.. I run all my music from it :D

Any one remember 355 Challegne on the Dreamcast? I play that for hours on end mainly because it's so realistic (to me..! no different views other than bumper, really cool exhaust tones, sweet tracks, not a pedal to the metal type of game).

Schatten: If you can, pick up one of the games from the Tokyo Extreme Racer series, I think they'd have what you like, down to changing the gear rations, ride height and stuff like that. For quite a few parts there are 10 to 12 stages for each thing such as wheels, exhaust, engine stages, suspension and on and on! Crave Entertainment makes the game I believe.

12. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    I would definitely buy it, even at $200...

I bought the import Gran Turismo 4 Prologue game and it really rocks...

But everytime i play a GT game, i definitely miss the F cars...

Damn... they got to do something to give us the ultimate videogame racing experience: Ferraris in Gran Turismo...

13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    XBOX is the system to have plain as simple. They have over 100 XBOX live games alone. PGR2 is awesome, no other game you can race 8 Enzo's on Nuerburgring's North Loop. SOCOM is horrible when compared to Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3. Every XBOX game is in HDTV and Dolby Digital.

Who care’s how many games you have if 9 out of 10 suck as it is with the PS2. On the XBOX it’s a more 50/50 balance and 2003-2004 XBOX games are amazing. The PS2 is the weakest system out there. It doesn’t have the power of the Game Cube much less the XBOX.

Xbox Hardware Specifications

CPU 733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III
    Front Side Bus 133 MHz - 1.0 GB/sec
    RAM Micron 64 MB DDR SDRAM
    Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec bus
    Storage Medium 8 GB Hard Disk
    (Western Digital, 5400 RPM)
    I/O (Input / Output) w-5x DVD-ROM
    Type 9 DVD - 8.5 GB single sided
    4x Proprietary USB Game Ports (12 Mbps)
    Broadband Ethernet Connection (100 Mbps)
    Proprietary Audio/Video Connector
    Graphics Processor Unit 250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X
    Max Polygon Performance 125 M/sec
    Simultaneous Textures 4.8 G/Sec
    Pixel Fill Rate 12w
    Compressed Textures Yes (6:1)
    Maximum resolution 1920 x 1080 (HDTV Required)
    MPEG 2 Support Yes (Standard DVD)
    HDTV Game Support Yes (HDTV Cable Required)
    DVD Movie Playback Yes (DVD Remote Control Required)
    Media Comm. Processor 200 MHz Processor Custom
    Designed By NVIDIA
    Controls Hard Disk & DVD
    Controls High-Speed Ethernet
    Controls Proprietary USB Game Ports
    Controls Advanced Audio which uses:
    licensed technology from UK's Sensaura 3D.
    Peripheral Bus (MCP BUS) 400 MB/s (Full Duplex)
    Broadband Enabled Yes (10/100 Mbps / TCP/IP / WinSock)
    Audio Channels 256
    3D Audio Support Yes (64 3D channels)
    Operating System - Windows 2000 Core OS
    (Custom designed by MS)
    - DirectX 8.0a (Drivers)
    - Part 1 of the OS is on the hard disk < 1 MB
    - Part 2 of the OS can be DVD disc < 500 K
    - (Part 1 includes the core OS, DirectX, DVD playback, some drivers and 3D user interface)
    - (Part 2 includes things like libraries, other drivers and other features needed by the developer)
    - OS takes less then 3 MB in RAM
    - The OS has a 3D user interface when no games are inserted to play music CDs, run DVD movies etc.
    - The games run in ring 0, known as kernel mode which is the fastest mode possible.
    V-CHIP Parental control on DVD's with ESRB ratings
    Size Width: ~31cm
    Depth: ~27cm
    Height: ~10cm
    Total Internal Components 800

PS2
    Emotion Engine
    MIPS IV-Subset
    300 MHz (294.912 MHz)
    128-bit Integer SIMD
    128-bit Floating-Point SIMD
    24KB Cache (16KB Instruction + 8KB Data)
    16KB Scratch Pad RAM
    Co-Processor 1: FPU
    Floating Point Multiply Accumulator (FMAC) x 1
    Floating Point Divider (FDIV) x 1
    8KB Cache (4KB Instruction + 4KB Data)
    Co-Processor 2: VU0
    Floating Point Multiply Accumulator (FMAC) x 4
    Floating Point Divider (FDIV) x 1
    8KB Cache (4KB Instruction + 4KB Data)
    Vector Processing Unit: VU1
    Floating Point Multiply Accumulator (FMAC) x 5
    Floating Point Divider (FDIV) x 2
    32KB Cache (16KB Instruction + 16KB Data)
    450 Dhrystone MIPS
    6.2 GFLOPS
    Geometry:
    66 Million Polygons per Second (peak)
    38 Million Polygons per Second (lighting)
    36 Million Polygons per Second (fog)
    16 Million Polygons per Second (curved surface generation)
    Image Processing Unit (IPU): MPEG2 Compressed Image Decoder
    150 Million Pixels per Second
    DMA: 10 channels
    Graphics Synthesizer (GS)
    150 MHz (147.456 MHz)
    16 Pixel Pipelines
    2.4 Gigapixels per Second (no texture)
    1.2 Gigatexels per Second
    Point, Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic Mip-Map Filtering
    Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping
    Bump Mapping
    Environment Mapping
    32-bit Color (RGBA)
    32-bit Z Buffer
    4MB Multiported Embedded DRAM
    38.4 Gigabytes per Second eDRAM Bandwidth (19.2 GB/s in each direction)
    9.6 Gigabytes per Second eDRAM Texture Bandwidth
    150 Million Particles per Second
    Polygon Drawing Rate:
    75 Million Polygons per Second (small polygon)
    50 Million Polygons per Second (48-pixel quad with Z and Alpha)
    30 Million Polygons per Second (50-pixel triangle with Z and Alpha)
    25 Million Polygons per Second (48-pixel quad with Z, Alpha, and Texture)
    18.75 Million Sprites per Second (8 x 8 pixel sprites)
    Emotion Engine to Graphics Synthesizer Bus
    64 Bits Wide
    150 MHz
    1.2 Gigabytes per Second Bandwidth
    Main Memory
    32 Megabytes RAMBUS DRAM
    32 Bits Wide (Dual Channel 16-bit)
    400 MHz (800 MHz Effective)
    800 Megabits per Second per Pin
    3.2 Gigabytes per Second Bandwidth
    I/O Processor
    Based on PSone CPU
    33.8688 MHz or 36.864 MHz (selectable)
    2MB Memory
    USB, IEEE-1394, Sound, DVD-ROM, and PCMCIA Controller
    Sound Chip
    48 Voices
    2MB Memory
    Supports Dolby, AC3, and DTS output
    Storage
    4x DVD-ROM
    DVD-5 Disc Format (4.7 Gigabytes)
    Memory Cards
    Night and Day specs the comparison is the like a Pentium 2 vs. Pentium 4

XBOX LIVE is absolutely amazing you can talk to everyone you play on every game. You can find your friends if they are or not they are playing an online game, also you can download levels, car, weapons…etc from Xbox live to your system. There is just too much to list.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would most definately buy it if they had most Ferraris represented from the F1 cars past and present to the P4 to the classic T R and 250 GTO, to all the modern cars, 512TR, F512M, 550, 550GTC, etc etc etc. If they kept it with the classic realistic feeling of each cars (where I could notice a difference between say the 512R and the F512M) That would be perfect.

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    You're starting to sound like me a few years ago! :D

Xbox Live is cool, I'll admit, but SOCOM's ability to just plug it in and play without paying is cooler seeing how it's free to begin with and you don't need any other crap. PGR2 is cool, but it's not a end all be all game, it gets boring real quick and there is no reason to keep on playing to upgrade your car or anything.

For every Xbox game being in HDTV is false, only certain games are made like that and actually utilize the Advanced HD Pack (Some $50 bucks).

PS2 has one large advantage, cool games, and sadly that's what makes up a console, not that it's faster on paper! Of all people yall Ferrari guys should know that just because it's faster on paper doesn't mean faster in life. Most xbox games are optimized so badly because they are just simple ports from the PC world while compared with PS2 or Dcast the games are actually using the power of the console. Theres a reason why Sonic Adventure 2 looks a slick load better than Sonic Adventure 1, because the developers had more time to learn the in's and out's of the console to optimize their game to take advantage of all the cool gadgets it offers.

I have a Dual AMD 1800+ which I am typing this post on, that doesn't mean that I'll process information faster than my old Gateway 950mhz, because some of the program I run might have been optimized for the T-Bird core rather than my Palimo core that I use right now.

16. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Someone already did something very similar to this. Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed. Started you off with a 356 and you worked your way up to the modern 911 turbo, included the 914 and the 944. Etc... etc.. great fun game. Sold like hot cakes. But you can not, I repeat can not, ever charge ANYTHING close to $100-$200 dollars for a game. Hell you can buy the console for less than 200 dollars now, do you really think anyone (in quantity) will buy a game that costs them almost as much as they paid for the console? If you want a Forza Ferrari edition of a game, write some letters to the boys at Electronic Arts and ask for a NFS: Ferrari Unleashed game.

17. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    The problem is that almost every game that are on all three system the Xbox looks, plays, and sounds the best. Take Grand Theft Auto good PS2 game Great XBOX game. When you mention HDTV I haven't ran into an Xbox game that doesn't have HDTV and I own over 50.

The new Gen of Xbox games are amazing there are way to many to list here.

In PGR2 you can drive all the modern and some of the classic Ferraris and since its License from Ferrari the realism is awesome. The cars sound like the real world counter part i.e. when you drive the 360 CS at about 4000rpm you hear the exhaust valve open the same is on the Enzo WOW. I’m going to the Nuerburgring this summer and since I have driven over 100 laps on PGR2 I know it and the physics engine is so good I’ll know what to expect from a 360 Modena or 360 CS in the handling, braking, and acceleration. It’s also interesting to drive the Enzo vs. a 360 and note the handling differences. Everything that you read in the reviews becomes clear with the accuracy the cars physics have been rendered.

This year and Last year have been the Xbox years. Microsoft trounced the competition and the games critics even agree (even though they hate the Xbox because it’s Microsoft). Every MAJOR release for the Xbox this year has been a 8-10 rating like Ninja Gaiden unlike PS2 which titles like Rising Sun (with MAJOR star Jet Li) gets rating of 6 or below.
    Xbox rules everything else is second best.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Cars in PGR2 arent nearly as well modelized as in GT3..and the driving feel is still years behind Sony's game.

They do have some cool names and tracks ..but its more a NFS like game.

19. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Ok, you can believe what you want.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    PGR2 has the most realistic handling, physics engine and accurate sound effects of any racing game which features production cars. PGR1 included, it also has the most accurate and detailed real-world environments of any game. There is absolutely NO comparison between it and any of the NFS games.

The PS2 is a second-rate console and is completely obsolete by today's standards, especially when compared to the X-Box (just look at the horrible low resolution and blurred textures of games on the PS2).

The PS2 was great back in 2000, but that was 4 years ago... and the XBox has been kicking its ass since late 2001.