New supercar what do you think | FerrariChat

New supercar what do you think

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Shagg, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    First post here, been reading along time, but anyways what do you all think of this car

www.shelbysupercars.com

He didnt copy shelbys name, its his last name. Anyways supposedly it goes 249 mph and only weighs 2590 lbs for 239 K, if this is true then wouldnt that mean that pretty much every other car on the market is a rip?

2. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Well first, this "should" be in Off Topic I beleive, since it really isn't Italian. It is American.
    After that, I glanced at the website, and it is definately nothing I would personally be interested in. While he may not have copied Shelby's name, he did however copy styling cues from all current "super" cars. Sadly, It's overpowered, now before you all look at me like I'm insane, let me explain. They took a aluminum V8 and slapped on cams, and ported what they could to make 782 bhp. At first glance that is impressive, BUT and I do mean but, it mentions no means of forced induction from the specs or multimedia page. What does that make it? Rather Unreliable. I'm in no way slapping American Motors with a wet swordfish here, but if we take a minute and think about all the reliable 780 hp cars out there today running on v8's that are Naturally Aspirated we will see why this is.
    It probably gets about 4 miles to a gallon (yes I am exaggerating), it probably idles extremely high, and it is probably has the driveable range of a H1 with a civic fuel tank.
    The largest flaw in the entire car from my point of view is, It is TOO American, the frame, is so basic and simple, they could have improved it in exponential ways. The weight could have been severely reduced. Yet the largest drawback to this car is... It SHOULD have had forced induction to reliably supply this much power. Any other induction system is just asking for trouble and huge maintanence bills. V12? Could have handled the power a bit better, but more weight. V6? With turbo's or an SC could easy have made the same power reliably. Yet a V8 TT or SC would have been perfect and made complete sense!
    Now, if this car is blown, then I completely take back my previous statement about power reliability. Though, here comes my next one.
    The car is, well in the easiest way of saying it, completely ugly. It has no distinquished name that allows it to generously rip off Lambo, Ferrari, and MB's styling hints. Basically it looks exactly like the new Lambo's, with less class, less driveability, more maintence, more cost in EVERY way.
    Would you like me to continue?
    Well don't mind if I do, after reading through the whole list of useless information given about the car, I get to the prices. Now the car price I could see if it could reliably perform, and take a beating like no other, OR it had a name that made it a "GIMME" car (yes we know what type of car that is, don't we boys?). But...
    Four grand for a damn wing? Now come on... It isn't even designed like a good aero package, or like a useful wing that would produce a good amount of downforce with the least amount of drag. Simply put.. It's basically the same damn wing as they had on the earlier generation Mitsubishi 3000GT's, Now that's technology advancement.
    Would you like me to write more? Well, guess what. I don't think this car deserves any more of my time discussing it. Which I will have to say, will be the biggest blow from me you will ever see towards a fellow road going chunk of metal. I can make a brick move down the road at 249 miles per hour, yet I wouldn't find anyone to buy it for 200 grand, nor would I want to drive it.
    Enjoy the flowers.
    CS
    :edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum! :/edit:

3. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004

Dude I totally agree that it rips off design ques, but omg, this supercar has more hp and torque then virtually ANY other supercar, I dont care how it achieved it, its rather amazing it that WITHOUT forced induction it can produce 780 hp thats 120 hp per liter.

The **** about making a brick move down the road at 249 miles per hour.. Really then why havent you gone out and ****ing broke Mclarens record yourself?

You talk about reducing weight, WTF this car weighs less then the Ferrari Enzo and has a radio and dvd system to boot, along with a 7.5 inch tv screen and a automatically enabled reverse camera. And yet still weighs 2590 lbs.

The car comes with a 1 year unlimited mileage warrenty, so I dont forsee engine problems occuring often as you do.

I can understand if you dislike american cars, but you have to admit, this car breaks tons of records. It gets more hp per liter then some race cars, and weighs virtually the same weight as one. Plus it has a warrenty. The only thing wrong with this car is the weight distribution as it is 42/58 which isnt very good.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, and nice to meet you. Thanks for your input.

4. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Rather amazing? I said it was indeed impressive at first glance, but you have to understand the engineering to produce that hp without forced induction. It involved extremely tight, high profile, long duration camshafts. Which isn't the best compromise, sure you can pull it off drag-racing or road-racing, but put it on the road and it's a lost puppy in a big evil world. Read some american magazines now and then, and they have cars with 500 cubes and 800hp isn't uncommon. Large displacement engines have always been known for power, but two factors shoot right down the shallow bowl of a toliet. Durability and Price, that is going to eat gas like we just stole Iraq.
    Why? Because no one would buy the brick, and I wouldn't want to drive it, it costs a lot of money to build something that works well under that kind of stress. I forget who said it, but it went along the lines as. "You want power, reliability, and cheap? Pick two." I know that isn't the right quote word for word, but someone who knows it I am sure could post it.
    Reducing weight, yes. That is a light car, but it just doesn't impress me, Have you seen the structural integrity with the Zonda, or Koenigsegg? Light, and built like a tank. the stereo/dvd you could get in any car.. and you really don't need it if you have that type of power, and it doesn't weight "that" much. That v8 is also 2/3rds the weight of the zonda's and judging by the "construction pics" of that car, it could lose a lot of the american style frame, for something more "space age" or engineered. Which would both drop weight and give you a bit more car for the money. There is such a thing as underengineered. In a car supposedly capable of 249 mph, I'd rather be in a more expensive overengineered car. Well if that was my cup of tea.
    Dislike american cars? Hardly, I just know they have a long way to go to keep up with the advancements in other parts of the world, I am sure a lot agree with me, as I am sure you can see there are some things that would be better suited. Breaks tons of records? As I said before, that's well and nice, but would you really want to be driving it when it was setting those records? Well? I'd feel like a bird heading for a brick wall trapped in an icecube. Weight again? This time to race cars? Race cars are a lot lighter then that, yet a lot safer. That is the bonus given to them, it isn't exactly a rollcage installed in that lambo-would-like-to-be. Warrenty isn't worth discussing, as I am sure it has it's limitations, and a lawer right behind every service call. But, the weight distribution, is very good, and I do have to give them a kudo's with matching the brakes to it. Everything else about it? Well I think they put too much effort, with too little thought.
    All and well it's a car, someone might buy it, but definately not me, and definately no one I immediately know. If I do know someone who will buy it, well will they rest in peace.
    Btw, Cool down a bit, if your angered by my posts, these were said with well intentions and a cool, calm shoulder. I am just stating my recognition of the car as I see it, from my experience.
    CS

5. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    You seem to be rather biased towards cars from other countries so its quite obvious you dislike american cars.

When a european makes a 100 hp per liter car its hailed as a marvel of engineering yet when someone in the U.S. does it, its a underengineered engine with large camshafts. What a joke, no wonder the US dosent try to enter the supercar territoy, this car outperforms the enzo at 1/3 the price.

And although money may be no object for you, it is to others, hell this engine could blow up every 10 k miles and youd still be paying the same maintenance as a Enzo because of there 15,000$ brakes that must be replaced.

Its rather funny that you hail these other car manufacturers that have HEAVIER cars and say that this car should weigh less, I mean come on be serious, thats like If I weigh 500 lbs and call you a fatass because you weigh 300, lol. Pretty hypocritical.

And this crap about forced induction is pissing me off, if they made that power with FI youd be saying well they can only do it with FI, if they dont then you say its a unreliabile piece of dog**** and needs FI to be reliabile. Give me a break.

BTW might want to read up, Zondas race car weighs a little tiny itsy bit less then this car and thats in gutted race car form. O ya and it has less horsepower.

http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/lemans/cars/gts-pagani-zonda-gr.htm

O yes and please notice it has a LARGER engine producing 85.7 hp per liter to the other cars 125 per liter.

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    This engine is obviously supercharged. Frost you speculate about this car to the point of idiocy. Please do not continue. We do not know how this car will perform. Lets not make up data about chassis rigidity, driveability, maintenance, or aerodynamics.

7. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004

Agreed, all of his what if bull**** was very annoying.

8. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    In none of the pictures could I see a supercharger listed, nor in the specifications, and I could not make a roots style, or a centrif. out of the engine dyno video, plus in my first post I also said if the engine is blown (ie forced induction) I take back the engine statements, but my other statements still reside, I would not be one to volunteer to drive that car at anytime, thus my initial statement. I gathered my opinions on the information they supply, they don't supply cd #'s or real world specs that would be needed to sell the car. If I offended you by telling you what I think of a car, I'm sorry but I will continue to hold my own opinions. They will also stay unchanged until someone comes up with real data and figures and not just a claim at being the fastest, or saying it's better then everything else because of hp figures.
    On speculation, have you ever driven a car with 800hp? How was it's driveability at those figures? I'll drop the speculation on the above car until further information is posted though, happy?
    CS

9. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The point is that you shouldn't speculate on something with no data, either negatively OR positively. It's just stupid. The engine obviously uses forced induction, look at the torque figure. I'd assume that it is supercharged simply because of the name. Don't worry about offending me, all you are doing is changing people's perception of yourself...

10. steve2814

steve2814 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    I really really really highly doubt it is naturally aspirated...

782hp/6.2L = 126hp/L

11. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    Forced induction or not the car is amazing, Frost I dont see how you can be so bias and not notice it. Basically you say simply because the chassy is american is ****ty, and the frame must be ****ty to because its american.

Is there anything you can speculate on without just saying its ****ty because its american and not european?

Besides we know the car was dynoed and that it is pushing that power, and we know that the weight was measured. A 2590 lb road car in itself is amazing. The only other car I can think off of hand that is going to be competition for this car if its even produced is the MN4-12 or whatever by chrysler. Other then that this car is a HUGE step in the right direction for american supercars. Hell the ford GT dosent even compare to this car in the slightest and its only half the price.

If the car was FI, I think we wouldve heard it in the videos, but I dunno I suppose its still possible.

O ya and frost, why dont you comment on the weight issue? The fully gutted zonda race car weighs in just about 170 lbs less then this fully clothed street car? What is up with that? I thought you said there were more lbs to be shaved. O ya and did I mention that it has a radio? Ya I think I did.

12. rsrx

rsrx Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Alphonse
    One thing that stood out for me were the headlights.

I have the same Xenon lights on my SVT Focus.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  14. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

I'd take the 170k and buy a used Diablo 6.0. It looks at best O.K., but it's still a fake and I woulden't take one for 30k...

15. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I think it's awesome. I anxiously look forward to seeing how one does out of the controlled environment. I'd be interested.

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's nothing more than a fancy kit car. Look at the company. They made Diablo rip-offs before concocting this pile of garbage.

As for the weight, the reason why the Zonda and the Enzo are heavy is because they are made to meet stringent Euro crash test standards. Gordon Murray said that he wouldn't be able to design a modern McLaren F1 and still keep the weight the same as the old car.

Is this car even DOT certified?

17. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Of course, because it probably has a Fiero title......

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I would say. More power to them. Supercars for everyone.

It remains to be seen, whether it would be a car one would buy ?

19. Shagg

Shagg Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    They didnt start up rich like all of you are im assuming. They had to make money someway and they found a market for kit cars.

On a side note though, if you can find me a fiero with a carbon fiber composite chassis then I will gladly buy it.

20. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Whats up with those headers, they come straight over the engine. The engine is nat.asp., if you watch the slide show you will see it.

21. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Lotto winning yokels of the world unite. Your supercar has arrived. "It's a Shelby"

This car is a solution looking for a problem. It's Vector W8, part 2 at best, suicidal kit car more likely.

I'm sure carroll Shelby already has the lawsuits filled. If it were really his handywork it would be something to look at. But even the name Shelby is ripped off for this car. The statistics never tell the whole story. This is THE bench racers supercar (for now).

Lets see what the press says after their first drives.

22. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Just wait untill I get my 1500hp supercar out!!! I'm just waiting for the parts to finish the on-board robot. My girl robot heheh....

:rollleyes:

I don't like it, and I'm about as american as they come.

MM

23. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I wouldn't spend $400,000 for any American car...Shelby, Saleen etc. But I think its cool. It just can't be priced like an Enzo.

24. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    "Times and speeds were captured by G-Tech Competition Equipment, at Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix, Arizona on March 19, 2004."

This I love. What a joke.

Luke.