Clear guard like product source | FerrariChat

Clear guard like product source

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Auraraptor, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I need a clearguard type of application for my 328. I only want to put it in the rear right behind the rear side lights where 90% of the kickup hits the car. (3x8's know what I mean)

Where is a good source for the clear guard type stuff I can put on the car? I don't want to go mudflaps....:p

2. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
  3. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Did you consider Armorfend?

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have seen and heard of a few different types, but am not sure what truely is the best, and at the same time avaiable in a general film that can be custom cut.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Almost all of them use the same 3M film... the value-add they provide is pre-cut pieces of the film. But if you just want a piece of uncut film, order it from whoever gives you the best price... just make sure its the 3M film.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Anyone know anything about the new Llumar film? It has a longer warranty than the 3M film............

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I just had the Llumar installed on my 360. Parked next to 3M cars it is noticeably clearer, blends in much better. Don't know about the long haul. but it looks great right now. It's a bit more difficult to work with, areas like the mirrors with compound curves took a lot of time to get right.

Gary

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Anybody have links on the Llumar film or on installers of it??

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    www.llumar.com (who'd have thought?)

I've got a good SF Bay Area guy, but no idea otherwise.

Gary

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, I did think of that... I tried it before I posted... but I didn't, and still don't, get anything... it spins for a while and then gives up. I guess I'll try again sometime in the middle of the night tonight (in case its a load issue) and again on Monday (in case its a "server down over the weekend" issue).

Thanks.

12. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Gary,

If your lower front bumper film comes in ONE-PIECE?

I recently have a front clear bra done by Ferrari of BH and didn't like it because the front bumper film comes with several pieces and we too obvious to see (plus the guy did a $hitty job), so I had to take it off.

Also are you near Los Angeles? Can i get some pointeres?

Thank you!

Jim
    04 6-Speed Coupe

13. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Jimmy,

How hard is the film to take off? I just installed a kit yesterday on my '04 M3 (did it myself). There are 2 wrinkles on the hood & 4 on the bumper. It's bothering me so I am thinking of taking it off.

TIA

-n

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Jim -

Yes, the front bumper is all one piece, and a bit of a b*tch to install. I'm in the SF Bay Area. My installer says a little research is necessary to find the right templates for the Llumar (in particular, since it is new), and we weren't happy with the mirror template, so he cut some custom ones for me. There is also a bit of variation on the coverage for the bonnet, the first one stopped a little short of optimum, so we cut that custom also. I'd considered doing this myself and am glad I didn't.

Gary

15. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I am pretty sure once it's taken off it can't be put back so check with the manufacturer.
    Later, Yasir

16. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Ferrari BH did offer to take them off but I have my body shop took them off. I will take them what's invloved.

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Gary:

Where can I get this film and how much? Do you know any good installer near Los Angeles?

100,000.00 thx.

Jimmy

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sorry, can't help much, don't know any installer in L.A., and have no idea what the film costs. I do know my guys, who have the best rep in the bay area, took about 24 man hours (way longer than they thought) to get everything right, and stuck to their original quote, so they probably didn't make much profit, if any. They did the entire front end, headlights, mirrors, the intakes on the flanks top and bottom, the sills below the doors, above the windshield, along the rear deck where you might abrade when closing the engine lid, and even inside the door latch channel where you get fingernail scratches. I know, I went a little overboard. They charged $1550 and it was worth every penny.

Gary

Gary

19. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    THanks man, I just got a call from Ferrari of OC and they quoted $1075. I hope they can do a good job like your guy did.

20. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Has anybody done this type of work themselves?

From what's been posted, it sounds WAY too difficult for DIY.

Reason I ask is that I don't know anyone here who does it, but I would gladly pay the quoted prices for the work involved.

21. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jimmy -- IMHO, the quality of the finished product is more dependent upon the installer than the particular brand of film used. If you want a great installer, who will install whatever product you want, as well as do custom pieces/cutting, contact Arling at Lucent Motors (310-231-3328) -- he can set you up with a master/perfectionist installer. Their shop, where the installer will do the work, is located in West Los Angeles. If you have time to stop by their shop, Arling can show you some examples of the installer's work.
    Good luck! :)

22. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    there is a great installer here in S. Florida if anyone is interested.

23. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I just did it over the weekend (on a new m3). You have to pay extra attention to the bumper corners & mirrors. Note: you have to pull the film on curve edges for the 3m film to wrap and to avoid any wrinkles.

I had few wrinkles(very little) and it's bothering me so I might remove it. I am glad I experimented on a BMW not my Ferrari. My recommendation is to have a professional do it and make sure the installer is an experienced pro. Also, ask to see what area is going to be covered. Custom cut film is preffered over a pre-cut film since the pre-cut film covers very little area. It doesnt cover all areas that are exposed to rocks (such as the fender, rocker panel, & rear lower bumper).

Good luck.

24. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Thank you so very much! :)