Looking for insight, Testarossa VS 330 2+2 | FerrariChat

Looking for insight, Testarossa VS 330 2+2

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jpl, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I know this sounds kind of odd but I am looking for insight from people who have owned both of these cars. Not driving insight....as they are about as far apart as cars can be from the same manufacturer. What I am looking for is someone who has lived with both for at least a year or two. Here's the deal. I have always wanted a 12 cylinder Ferrari. With 45-50K to spend, I can get a 330 2+2 in reasonably good shape and a Testarossa in OK shape. Either would be used as a week-end car with the idea of creating something I can take and show. I will continue to put miles on my 308 so this new car would only do about 2-3K per year.

What is it like to live with either of these cars?
    Routine maintenance on the 330 is probably cheaper. Or is it?
    I know insurance would be cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about seeing myself coming and going. There is also something about have an old classic V12. Thoughts....comments?

regards,
    JP

2. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    kinda in the same boat as you are. i would really love to add a TR to my garage next to my 308, but i am only going to do so IF i find a car in really good shape. and a TR in great shape can run up to $60k+. but on the flip side i really like the classic 12 cylinder cars. the 250's LWB cars sing to me. but since i dont have hundreds of thousands to spend the 330 gt's really catch my eye. and honestly after looking at a TR and a 330 this summer i am kinda stuck. the TR is a car that will stop people in their tracks, but the 330 has the classic lines of the 60's f-cars. and the V12 sound is addicting, but so is the flat 12. i would think long term the 330 would be easier on the wallet considering the V12 in front is much more friendly to work on. also with the absence of computers and sensors the old V12 would be easier to work on and tune from your own garage, if your into that. insurance would be cheaper. wow writing this makes me realize how tuff of a decision this really is. im going to go look at my 308 in the garage to calm myself.lol

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    biggest problem w vintage cars is finding parts. I have a friend w a 275GTB4 who had to pay $750 for a turn signal stalk 10 years ago, its probably $2k by now & if it doesnt exist you have to have it made !!!!

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Washed the car today....got all of the winter dust off and started her up. It's been idle since November. Put the choke on and it started right up.....who said carburetters are fussy. Roads still have a lot of salt resudue so I will still have to wait a few more weeks to let the rain clean the roads up.

Thanks for the info so far. I guess I will just have to keep my eye open for the right car.