fuel octane | FerrariChat

fuel octane

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by George, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George

George Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I may have inadvertantly put 87 octane into my 348. Does it have antiknock sensors? Can I use an octane booster? Help.

2. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Octane 87 is to low.
    You must use no lower then 97 octane.
    You can add a ocatne buster, but I would advise to empty fuel system as much as possible and a higer octane above 97 to dilute octane 87.
    The car will run rough and not good for long periods on 87 octane.

Actually I have never heard f octane 87, are you sure you mean 97 ocatne ??

3. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    He's probably from CA. Most gas stations only have 87,89, and 91 octanes. Only a few stations scattered around CA have 93 or 100 octanes.

-Philip

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Kenyon, octane is computed/reported differently in the US.
    To give you an idea of how to compare: 87 is typical "regular grade"; 89-90 is "mid (plus) grade"; and 91-93 is "super grade". At high altitudes, those numbers drop 1 or 2.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    87 is too low (falls into the 'duh' catagory).
    You can use octane booster (not recommended) these will only lift octane by a point or two per can (0.1 to 0.2 octane increment)

or

go to the local paint supplier and get a gallon of tolulene (118 octane) and a gallon of xylene (117 octane). 95% of what goes in octane booster is these two chemicals.

or

Stay away from more than 50% throttle in the RPM band between 2500 and 4000 RPMs where the engine is most sensitive to octane.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    George,

Listen to your car more than the previous responses.

How is it running? Although your car doesn't have the standardized OBDII computer, it does have anti-knock sensors that will retard the ignition within milliseconds. You'll have less power, but no harmful detonation.

If the octane is too low, you'll feel some loss of power, especially at the higher RPM range as Mitch described.

I'd add an octane booster. It may do nothing more than give you peace of mind. Then run your car at lower RPMs for a while and add the highest octane you can find.

I would NOT add tolulene or xylene to your tank. If you do freak out and need something more, go to a small airfield and buy a few gallons of avgas. You'll be breaking federal law by putting aviation gas in your car, but it IS around 108 octane. But that's only if you're really freaking out.

Like I said, listen to your car. It should be fine. Just be sure to refill with the recommended octane next time.

--Matt

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    A little or even a tank of 87 octane will not harm your engine if driven normally, just don`t make it a practice. 92 - 94 octane is more than adequate for proper engine operation in most cases.
    The higher the octane, the better but I believe 97 would be excessive.

If tank is full.I would run it down to a 3/4 tank and fill with high octane (93 or +). After that you should be just fine.

NOTE: 348 does not have knock sensor.

best regards, Jim

8. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Agree run it with maybe a little booster ( no need to drain system) but pay close attention to the pre-ignition noise of knocking. High Octane means it will compress more before exploding. If you run to low of an octane your combustion mixture will ignite when the piston is on the way up instead of in the power stroke or on the way down. Really not good on your motor, stupendous amounts of stress.

If you dont hear any signs of preignition your are probly ok!