355 battery charging procedure | FerrariChat

355 battery charging procedure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ze_shark, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Question: is there any counter-indication to charge the battery using a battery charger connected to the + and ground poles located in the engine bay while the battery switch is on (does not work if it's off) ?

The owner manual is enlightingly useful. To jumpstart the car, you should use the poles in the bay, but to charge the battery, you should connect directly to the battery. After removing the 5 screws holding the panel (manual induces you to believe that there are 2, I found out it is impossible to reach the two poles without removing the front wheel :-(

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I charge my F355 battery (when needed) from the poles in the engine bay switch on.

3. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    Everyone charges from the bay....no problem.

4. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Keeping the batterie loaded via the cigare lighter seams to be the easiest solution. Especially it after removing 5 screw you still need to remove the wheel.

Zhark, tell me it's a joke! I'm a bit concern by removing the batterie since it should already be 6 years old!!!!!!!

So far, I have keept my batterie loaded by connecting the external "power" to the cabine lighter plug. That's easy and quite efficient ... so far.

Bye for now,
    Christophe.

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Advice given earlier in this thread works, charging through the engine bay contacts which are hidden under a plate on the right side, with the battery switch on, worked fine (although the proc in the manual is way more complex).

I did not know about the cigarette lighter trick, but I wonder how much current the fuse can stand.

For battery removal, this is not a joke. No way to get to the battery withough removing the front wheel.

6. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    You're right ze_shark. The cigarette lighter fuse will probably not afford the current of a full battery (re)load. But for keeping the batterie at full load during long storage, the cigarette lighter plug is fine.

I unfortunately don't remember the brand of the charger I use. But you should easily find some product on the Web.

Bye,
    Christophe.