TR Door Won't Open | FerrariChat

TR Door Won't Open

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jerrari, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I locked the driver's door on '89 TR while driving and when I went to get out I couldn't! It's like the lock is not disengaging. It goes up and down, but you don't get that distinctive "click" when you pull it up. The passenger side works fine and the driver's side was working fine as well. Any clues as to how to solve this problem? Thanks, Jerry.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Can you open the door from the outside? If you can I had a similar problem on my 348. What it turned out to be was the little plastic clip that holds the wire to the inside door handle broke. I got a replacement clip for .86 cents. That was the cheapest part I have ever bought for my car. LOL. Anyway it opens just fine now. You will have to remove the door pannel to get to the clip.

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    No, it will not open from the outside or inside. Putting the key in the lock also does nothing.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Jerry - There are three options:

1. Pull yourself through the window like Bo & Luke Duke.
    2. Cut the roof and jump into the car like Speed Racer
    3. You probably cannot take the door panel off while the door is still closed... it'd be tough to work in that restricted space. Find somebody (a local police officer) with a Slim Jim. You can manually pop the lock with that, then take the door panel apart to fix it. In fact, maybe a quick slide of the Slim Jim will get things working again.

Lastly, can you access the inner door by removing the strakes? I haven't done it on my 348, but I believe you can remove the outer strakes and have easy access to everything. Any TR owners confirm this?

-Daniel

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would try what Jack said. Try removing the door sill from the out side. There should be some allen bolts that can be removed. You should be able to see the mechanism that opens the door. I'm not sure about the TR's but the 348's and 355' have connectors between the door and the frame. These are the culprit of alot of electric problems in the door accessories. If you have them, look to make sure that every thing is clean and that there are no busted wires on the pin connectors. Good luck.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Jerry -

Any updates on the door? Or, have you painted a confederate battle flag on the roof and begun playing Dukes of Hazzard?

-Daniel

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    You cannot access any part of the lock from the outside.
    what I suggest is to remove the interior cup and door handle in the armrest and see if you can reach the lock or at least verify that the internal lock lever is not binding and causing the lock to not fully unlatch.
    you should only need a small screwdriver to carefully pry up the cup in the armrest for access.

good luck and regards, Jim