Why all the new expensive cars? | FerrariChat

Why all the new expensive cars?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bluekawala, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Its not a complaint at all! :)

It seems to me that every car company is trying to claim a section of the $100k-175k market. Even comanies that usually aren't in this segment like Panoz, Bentley, Ford, and VW are building cars to this price. Is the market really big enough to support all these new cars?!, or will companies' attempts grab a slice of this small pie actually saturate the market causing premature depriciation of these cars? I'm no economist, and I would be interested in everyone's comments.

It's just that everytime I pick up a car mag there seems to be a company that usually makes really cheap or really expensive cars building a car in this strange middle segment. ...I don't think this has been brought up, sorry if it has.

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The more cars there are in that range, the better it will be for me when the bottom falls out of the high end used car market.
    btw, dont forget to add benz to that list.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    $100k aint what it used to be. The US economy is doing Very well. Dont believe me ? Travel down to Argentina or Nepal or Africa to see what a bad economy looks like. A lot of Americans have it good & have extra $ to buy toys with, Thanks GWB

4. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Umm, when was the last time you looked at NEW Bentleys, there not very cheap, esp the convts. Azure convts. go for about $300,000 and new Arnage T's are like $250,000.

Sorry to correct, but it had to be done.

As for Ford and Penis, they need to stick to there crappy little concept POS's.

And as for VW, isnt Audi there luxury division? Where are the expensive Audis?

5. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

"It's just that everytime I pick up a car mag there seems to be a company that usually makes really cheap or really expensive cars building a car in this strange middle segment."
    -bluekawala, (really expensive cars; Bentley's)

*Sorry to correct, but it had to be done. ;) *

Audi A8 Long Wheelbase versions are over 115k I believe, and about the same for S600's... might not be expensive to some, but its a chunk to me.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrair's been blowing its own horn all over town on how they have a 5 year waiting list on a 400hp car that looks like a sleek 911 and sells for $150 -$225k

All the other car companies are looking to make a buck in an ever more competitive world market. So after getting tierd of Ferrari's bragging... I know 10 or 12 car company CEO's that are going to wipe that cocky little smug smile off of Ferrari's face.

Do you ever think we will see a 5 year waiting list in this price catagory again? Gallardo, GT40, MB, and all the others are going to make sure you don't.

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Ain't that the truth Tim? LOL

9. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think that many companies are banking on the "Halo car" effect - especially after the hoopla made over Lutz "single handedly saving Chrysler" with the Viper in the early 90's (I like his panache and give him credit, but it's overdone a little).

Car manufacturers (Ford with the GT is prime example) want a car that not many can afford that showcases the company ideals, even though most people are buying in the $15k-25k segments. It makes people feel that the car company is in fact "cool" because it makes sporty or luxury cars. I've thought the Phaeton was a mistake though, as VW skipped segments on it's luxury line found in Audi.

I don't think the market is big enough - there are enough wealthy, like William mentioned, but I don't think they've accounted too well for the millionaires and wealthy who aren't into cars (think typical Millionaire Next Door type - if you haven't read it, do so!). Not everyone would buy cars like us car nuts.

I second William though, that the US is the unprecented seat of world wealth right now. Everywhere I travel to, I ask myself, "Could I live here?" And despite many wonderful places I'd like to have a vacation property or something (ie. Italy, New Zealand, maybe Monaco), I keep coming back to the US... you can simply have the best life for your money here. Food, cars, property, luxuries, are all more expensive everywhere else. Except universities, mind you, but the loan system here is wonderful and can get almost anyone through school. Don't forget, countries with "free" university means you'll just pay for it in taxes the rest of your life. It's not 'bad,' just not my choice.

SkizioAce: Don't forget the Audi LeMans concept, which apparently could either be a $400k supercar or a detuned $150k car.

11. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Interesting, thanks, yeah I see how it could be promotional material for cheaper cars... kinda like racing I suppose. I think if they wanted to do this type of promotion they should race their cheaper cars, JMO.

Good points though, and yes The Millionaire Next Door is an amazing book! Here in KS if you wander of the beaten track just 2 min you can find some... shady looking residences, but who's to say the guy with a car up on blocks in his front yard isn't worth $800k?!

I'm on the drag racing team for my school and on track days people will have 1980's rusted pick-up trucks drive up pulling equally crummy looking trailers... then they'll back out a pristine $150k+ custom drag car! I guess its whatever your priorities are. :)

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Turned me off when that idiot author said that "Rich people buy their cars by the pound " So I suppose poor people buy F40s & F50s ? That author was a Jackass

13. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

LOL true. Well he had some interesting things to say you must admit, but yeah I wouldn't take it as the final word in who's 'well off' and who isn't.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    William - :D... well, I think his book was an amazing revelation about how most of the wealthy really live. There are still many big spenders though.

However, I choose not to (eventually) be one of the millionaires with that MND lifestyle: ie. driving Tauruses.