Just spent a week in Miami beach- Top 10 reasons to/not to live there | FerrariChat

Just spent a week in Miami beach- Top 10 reasons to/not to live there

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just spend a week in Miami Beach (North Beach) training for the not very well known sport of rowing. The weather was great for the most part, although it was a little windy. The beaches were excellent, although the water was cold and there were some very strong currents that really tired me out!
    I will say that i have never seen so many high end cars in such a short period of time. I saw a Gallardo for the first time, which btw at first glance was indistinguishable from a murcielago (saw one of those too). I also saw a few ferraris, many 911 turbos, even more 911's, and alot of SL55's.
    Reasons i would want to live there:
    1.) Nice cars
    2.) Beautiful Women
    3.) Decent food
    4.) warm weater
    5.) no winter
    6.) warm weather
    7.) no winter
    8.) warm weather
    9.) no winter
    10.)no family in the area

Reasons i would not want to live there
    1.) I do not like pastel colored buildings
    2.) I get sunburn easily down there
    3.) No winter (i dont want to fly somewhere to go skiing)
    4.) Hurricanes
    5.) no family in the area

All in all, it was a great trip. I even went to south beach for a night, which btw i didnt like that much. There were too many scumbags and sleezeballs down there and drinks were absurdly expensive. I liked north beach more. Is anyone here from Miami Beach? Were my observatins and impressions of the city correct?

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Cuban Coffee+

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but i did eat at a cuban cafe. the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm going down there for the first time next week-end. I'll be staying in Coconut Grove. Would anyone suggest their favorite resturant and favorite bistro near the marina? (Forgive me if there is more than one marina, I'm not sure which one.) I'm staying at the DoubleTree, 2649 S Bayshore Dr., and my friend says its near his boat. Thanks!

5. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My wife and I left from the Port of Miami for our honeymoon this past August and we went down there a couple days early to spend time in South Beach.

Needless to say we weren't impressed. When you see it on TV they show you all these nice buildings but most of those art deco buildings are so run-down!

The beach was beautiful and so was the water.

I wouldn't want to live there. It's pretty dirty.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I love the Cheesecake Factory at Coco Walk, There is a Charthouse on the water which is usually very good & there are a ton more restaurants. If you go to South Beach go to Lincoln Rd which is a Very nice pedestrian st w many cafes & restaurants. Its where the locals go. Mostly tourists hang on Ocean Dr

For nightlife drop by LaCity on Washington & 7th owned by Roberto, a fellow Ferrari 355 owner & good guy. Mention Ferrari chat. They serve Excellent food there also, after 6pm

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Thanks for your kind reply.

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Go to Joe's Crap.....The wait is a killer but the softshell submerge in melted butter make it all worthwhile.

PS: btw, this isn't "the" Joe Crap Shack franchise....

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive been living in Miami for about 2 years & I really love this city. Its a gorgeous city, To me its like an American Venice. I have a 15th floor apt overlooking Miami bay & downtown & the cruise ship dock & South Beach , I can almsot see Ft Lauderdale. Martin & his wife helped me find it. The food is great, I like the whole latin flavor, the women are gorgeous, there are exocti cars all over & 3 race tracks nearby & I have family & friends here. Whats not to like ?

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Mark's in the Grove was very good the last time i was there, several years ago. Hi-end, not traditional, not "fusion," nice room, serious service. But others who have been there more recently should probably weigh in.

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

that sums it up nicely....

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Was in Miami last October for my birthday. Stayed at the Fountainbleu Hilton and took tours of Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Little Havana, Downtown, Miami Beach and the bay and islands (wouldn't mind a place on one of them!). Also did a day trip up to Orlando.

Had a great time.

13. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Ahh Yes Beautiful Miami.. My wife and I were married at the spainish church in Coral Gables and had our reception at the Delano...

Joe's Crab - Long line but it can be avoided... Go to the front and slip the host 50 and you will get seated right away.

Other fun spots: Gloria Estephans place, the Cleavelander (Get to sit out on the terrace and people and car watch).

Great place to hang out this time of year! The weather is usually great!

Have fun...

Rich

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've got a lot of friends who moved to various warm-weather climates shortly after college, and all of them actually missed the different seasons (winter included) after a year or two. Miami was a real turnoff to me when I was there. I'm not into the whole over-priced trendy look-at-me scene. And sitting on a beach staring at hot women who have financial agendae like some sort of purvert isn't my idea of fun either (unlike some of my co-workers). But that's just me.

How was the training? I admire sports like rowing for the dedication they demand, and like you suggested, in relative anonymity.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If you want to have a fun time in Miami I suggest stayong at South Beach at the Shelbourne or the Loews, theres a new Ritz there that should open soon then there are a few more Art Deco hotels on Collins where the whole lobby is like a Nightclub on weekends

Just went to the Biltmore in Coral Gables fri night for the Law School Prom, gorgeous old hotel, I heard its haunted :)

Then theres the Sonesta in Coconut Grove thats very close to the action with lots of great restaurants & the Coco walk nearby

I guess if I didnt live in Miami maybe I'd try Boston, or Barcelona. Buenos Aires isnt bad but it needs a lot of work to rise to the level of Miami

Although BA is THE place to go for High Quality Naughtiness :)

16. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I love Miami and the Keys. :)

Also, they have great boats there!!! If your into offshore powerboast racing there are tons of great dealers down there like Pier 57 which is one of the biggest Fountain dealers. Sadly they got rid of Thunderboat Row, where they made Donzi, Magnum, Cigarette, and Apaches, after Aranow was killed... but its still THE place to be for speed boats!

True on the food, cars, and women too. ;)

17. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Sounds like a great appartment down there! (or up there!)

Got any pictures of the skyline without giving away which building your in? :)

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I felt this way after a few years in Hawaii. However, after a winter in New England and Canada, I want the heat again :). Winter is so... inconvenient.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have been going back and forth to miami a lot in the last 6 months on business, and i have to say i like it very much.
    the weather is a huge benefit, but i like the cultural mix and the high tempo lifestyle as well.

there are not too many great places to eat right on south beach as they tend to serve to the level of their clientele.....which is most often not high. but i have eaten well a couple times at 'a fish called avalon', smith and wollensky's steak place is good, and joe's crab is good but the wait is tiresome.

if you like italian, then you have to go to the place in the bal harbor mall, i am a bit fuzzy on the name - maybe its 'cappricios'. anyway, you can't miss it cos its packed every night. the best waiter is roberto - he's italian from rome and he'll treat you right.

and the place makes for great people and car watching too so you can't go wrong!

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ross, you have to let me know next time you are in town. Smith & Wollensky's is excellent & the view is great too. Try NEXXT on Lincoln Rd, Great food

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yeah. Come to think of it, none of them have missed it enough to move back...

22. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Great topless talent big plus.
    Down side, fat guys wearing speedos or any guys wearing speedos.
    Guys wearing slaps and socks (black socks) WTF ?
    Ample sized women who don't shave mostly Euros,that ain't right .
    Party central, just bring lots of cash at Calle Ocho.
    Damn toll roads everywhere

Why is it so damn HUMID all the time? You take a shower, walk out of your suite and your drenched again.

Nice place to visit on your way to St Croix or the Cayman's

23. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Because it is further south than most of the USA, much closer to the equater.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    will do !

25. GRANDE GRINGO

GRANDE GRINGO Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    PERNAMBUCO/RECIFE BR
    william i must say brazilian clubs are the best ,argentina,s club dont have the laid back feel as a typical brazilian dance place
    hey i,m an aussie ,and also get around too.
    but yes i would love to check miami one day.
    it must be the most wonderful place to live, out side of sydney.

stayong at South Beach at the Shelbourne or the Loews, theres a new Ritz there that should open soon then there are a few more Art Deco hotels on Collins where the whole lobby is like a Nightclub on weekends

Just went to the Biltmore in Coral Gables fri night for the Law School Prom, gorgeous old hotel, I heard its haunted :)

Then theres the Sonesta in Coconut Grove thats very close to the action with lots of great restaurants & the Coco walk nearby

I guess if I didnt live in Miami maybe I'd try Boston, or Barcelona. Buenos Aires isnt bad but it needs a lot of work to rise to the level of Miami

Although BA is THE place to go for High Quality Naughtiness :)[/QUOTE]