New Ford Cars | FerrariChat

New Ford Cars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by scuderia47, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I must say that I am a little dissapointed with Ford's lack of innovative styling lately. i am particulary talking about the new GT-40, the new Ford mustang and their new shelby concept. i dont know if its just me, but these cars seem to be an easy way out from the view of the styling department. the GT40 and shelby concept dont just borrow cues from the past cars, but they almost resemble them completely. this retro approach that ford has been taking with some of their cars is getting a little old. now im not saying that these cars are not good looking or that they wont sell well or that they didnt require effort to make, but imagine if another car company did that, like ferrari for example. ferraris have always been about advancing design and technology and about always progressing forward. now, i would be more impressed with the GT40, the new mustang, and the shelby if ford made analogous cars that were stylistically innovative and new looking.

maybe this is just a fad that they are going through, or that its a marketing ploy, but its kind of dissapointing and uninspiring when you see a new concept car roll out that is really the same looking as the past greats.

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I will agree with you on everything but the Ford GT. That is simply a beautiful timeless design. Just like the Muira. Just like the GTO.

As far as I am concerned, they can retro the Ford GT again 40 years from now.

For some reason I feel they got the GT done well. Just wait until the super
    GT comes out. LOL

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Ford sucks. They need to quit this retro trend and put together a quality car. Actually if they could put out a quality car I would forgive the retro trend.

4. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I agree on that. Only old American cars have a little quality in 'em. I like Chevy better than Ford.

5. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I completely agree with this thread. Their lack of innovative design is sad. Ford has made excellent cars in the past with the first Mustang's and the GT40's (both great styling with performance to match!); but they seem to ride on the backs of the past completely instead of using their past as a guide to present/future great cars. I hope, like many, that it is a stupid fad and they'll grow out of it.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Note, FORD make more money in the F150/F250 lines than in the entire passenger car set of models. The real question is why pursue passenger cars at all?

7. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks... probably shouldn't suprise me since they advertise it's the best selling truck etc.

The new 6 liter diesel they have is quite a motor! Makes more power then the old 7.3 and is cleaner, lighter and with better milage... I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. It looked like a fine truck when I glanced at the brochure when buying my go-mobile, but that is what brochures are for. :)

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We've got a Ford Escape Ltd. which, living in a city, is one of the best bargains out there. It's well-built and has a lot more room and features than anything in its class. Compared to where they were 20 years ago, I think Ford has done a decent job improving its product line. I'm not crazy about all the bin parts sharing, but Ford isn't the only guilty party there. As far as the GT is concerned, a car of that type will always elicit love/hate opinions. Don't forget how often people moan about modern designers lacking passion in their designs, saying things like "Why can't they design cars like used to"? When a company introduces "heritage" styling, the other factions emerge and complain about the lack of originality and how they're relying on 30 year-old designs, etc. I think a company like BMW deserves more grief for using an identical (controversial) body design across its entire model fleet.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If it weren't for MPG requirements they wouldn't. Ford has to build cars. They have no choice.