92 F40 @ Steve Harris | FerrariChat

92 F40 @ Steve Harris

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bobafett, Nov 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Already sold? I just saw it on their website yesterday! ANyone know how much it sold for?

92s are a b!tch to find...

--Dan

2. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    Hello Dan,

The F40 just sold for $345,000. It was a great car in top condition. We completed a full service as part of the sale

The F40 is my all time favorite Ferrari and the '92 Model year is definitely the one to have. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Steve,

Nice to see it coming from the source. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the past few months for a good 92, and this definetly seemed to fit the bill. I agree that a well sorted later car is worth the difference.

Actually, 345 with the major done is a solid price for a well maintained good mileage car.

Next time you guys happen to have a 92, please keep me in mind.

Best,

--Dan

4. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Steve:

Not to change the subject, but I have been eyeing the 348 spider you have. Beautiful car, I'm a suprised it has not sold. You seem to have had quite a few nice 348 spider over the past year. Maybe one of these days I'll take one off your hands!

5. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    Hey Guys,

always a pleasure to chat, please contact me anytime with any questions you might have - but remember I am Sean Harris not Steve. After 20 years of working for him I am used to it so no problem. My dad retired a few years back and does not even know how to turn the computer on.

Sean

6. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho
    What makes the 92 F40 more desireable?

7. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    forgive me, as I am relatively new here, but what are the service intervals and the respective costs? thanks very much!

ernie

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sean,

My apologies! I should've checked out your profile, I simply assumed it was your dad...but as you mentioned, you get it alot.

Thanks again,

--Dan

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dan
    The one Kenny posted at Nick's is ultra pristine. If you're serious and I mean REALLY serious I know of a real F40 LM for sale with spares but I ain't making a call unless you're really serious.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

11. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    So, back to the question that Tyson posted. What makes 92 a good year for the F40?

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JIM

HOW "SERIOUS" DOES BOBAFET HAVE TO BE ??? :)

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Jim,

Looking for a road car, but thanks for the offer.

--Dan

PS: I should add: I'm going to have to learn to drive this thing over time. I'm not sure how prudent it might be to start with an LM (if i ever went that way) or even an LM spec car. Start with stock, and as I need to, upgrade. May cost more, but if I kill myself trying to drive a 720bhp car in order to save a few k, I didn't really gain a whole lot. :D

14. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Two thumbs up for Sean

Keep me posted for upcoming 00 and newer 456M GT titanium or blue pozzi with SHIELDS

15. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason

16. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Sean-

Very nice web site!!

17. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Are '92s the ones with adjustable suspension?

18. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    Crawford - thanks for the compliment, nice yellow 328 BTW.

None of the US spec cars came from the factory with the adjustable suspension. I guess to try and answer the question on why a '92 is better - on paper US spec F40s’ are the same '90 -'92, but as with most all production Ferraris the factory became better at building the car as time went along and so the last year is usually the best year of any normal production Ferrari. As such, the '92 brings a bit of a premium because of that. If anyone else has more input, please jump in.

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sean: have you ever seen a US-spec car with the factory adjustable suspension? The only kit I have ever heard of was bought for ~40k, took over a year to find, and will most likely cost ~40k to have it installed properly.

I had initially thought finding a 92 with Adj. suspension would've been great (ride height adjustment alone is worth it), but the scarcity + ridiculous price increase suggest otherwise.

--Dan

PS: I should add that you are correct with respect to 92s vs. 91 or 90. There are a whole lot of little things the factory changed, esp. with the 92, that the previous cars don't have. It's better to find a later car with such things updated as opposed to trying to retrofit them.

20. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    No, I have never seen the adjustable suspension on a US car, it was not available from the factory and I have never seen one added either. Although I have heard of it being done, but have yet to see one.

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Sean and Dan- I saw one last week, didn't realize it untill he pulled away though.

Rick on this forum has it. May or may not be a real 'US' car <could be federalized Euro, it did have a Domestic tag>, and I know he just bought it a little while ago. Nice guy BTW.

Best!
    Ben.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rick's car is a euro? I didn't realize he has the lifting kit. I will have to inquire...

--Dan

23. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Sean, while I do own a F40 (a '91) I would hate to say I am an expert, yet I do have friends that own or have owned '92 models.

I am not aware of any differences at all between a '92 and a '90 or '91.

Build quality? That is a laugh, F40's do not have build quality.....

They are rough, crude cars, THANK GOD!

The only advantage is imagined......... bragging rights to say you have a '92 and it being the last year of production.

I would agree that in most cases the last year of any production car in most cases is the best one to own, but I think in this case, the myth overrides reality... Ferrari made no attempt to "refine" the US spec F40 during production that I am aware of

just my opinion, and if someone can show me any significant difference I would love to know what it is...

Your and your fathers reputation is beyond reproach, so your thoughts on this matter are significant...... Thank you for your contributions

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Dan- saw it square up on it's haunches myself!

Not sure if his is Euro or US.

It did have Catalysts, which I saw looking at the Tubi exhaust (Tubi's F40 is probally the prettiest exhaust ever.) Usually a cat on a car of that era indicates a US spec vehicle. Sadly I don't know F40s well enough to say definitively. Rick? ;)

Best!
    Ben.

25. Rampante

Rampante Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I know a guy who has a '92 F40 with 192 original miles on it. It was at Cavallino as one of the featured cars. The car is absolutely immaculate.