Show off in NYC I heard in Starbucks - gives Ferrari drivers a bad name! | FerrariChat

Show off in NYC I heard in Starbucks - gives Ferrari drivers a bad name!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zjpj, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I've also wondered why anyone would give a finger or get mad at someone who owns a Ferrari. Now I know.

I'm sorry if this was anyone on this board... but I don't really care, because you should know you were being a complete jacka$$.

Ok, I'm in Starbucks on like mid 50s around 5th or Madison. In walks this early 20s kid with hair gel, Hermes belt, Diesel jeans - whatever, obviously wealthy, but so what? My ears perk up when I hear "Enzo." So, I start to listen... of course, it was hard no to. The guy was talking in the LOUDEST VOICE ever on his cell phone. First he started talking about "Ferraris" - of course, restating the name about every sentence. He was also swearing in a really loud voice about every other word. Anyway, he said that the 360 needed a major restyle, etc etc, then started talking about some other cars that he had, was saying how the SL55 sucked... Anyway, he was just be so completely obnoxious. Then he said, "Yeah, I told my dad we've got to get some carbon fiber engine stuff for the 360." I don't really remember everything he said - obviously there's nothing wrong with talking about cars on the phone - but it's the way he said it and just the total show off, offensive way he said it, advertising to everyone about his dad's cars.

I wanted to trip him or something... haha, but I just left

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have a client who is the same way. "My f***in' Jag is in the shop again, so I gotta drive the damn BMW. Can't believe my luck with exotics!" This coming from a guy using an $80 cell phone and b*tches when I send him a bill for $800 a month for the service I provide. O, and by the way, If you want to pretend you're rich, don't wear a shoe with a hole in it! And no, I have never seen his Jag. I've see the '92 {I think} Miata. Hahahaha!

3. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Hey, I have a Hermes belt :p

Seriously though, it's not something to be very concerned about. People like that are no reason to feel that way. I mean, you don't see people attacking the stereotypical biker who rides a Harley because they can't get over the fact that the biker has been completely sucked into an entire false-hood and has let it comsume his life. Same way teenagers get sucked into their genre of music, letting it take over their lives, from the way they act, talk, dress, do, etc... It's quite sad. However, once you've peered through the looking glass from the other side, it becomes much easier to ignore these things. They become laughable.

So, the next time you're in Starbucks, and that guy comes in, simply treat him like anyone else, and tell him he's speaking too loudly, and go back to reading the New York Times, and sipping your Caramel Macchiato.

-DC

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    DC - oh, it was definitely laughable. I'm actually not a coffee drinker - I was there getting something for my mom. Anyway, yeah, it was something to mock, rather than something that made me really mad. But the fact was that it was embarassing for me and for everyone else who was giving him weird looks and offended by the way he was acting.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    That's why i bought a cellphone jammer.

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Zach, I know where you're coming from, I really do. But you can find ultimate freedom in not allowing anyone -- even this jerk -- to affect you or cause you to react. The more you ignore someone like him, the more insignificant he becomes. There are so many like him that it becomes an exercise in futility to try and take on every single one of them. You'll never win!

7. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Hey...what wrong with a Miata...I have one

just kidding of course.

8. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Whatever happened to walking up to the person and telling them to shut up and lower their voice. If that doesn't work grab the damn phone and hang up . If you don't let the morons know they are being morons how will they know. I'm having LASIK next Friday so I will have to hold my tongue for awhile ( no street fights for WFO for around 6 months ). The built up testosterone is gonna get ugly for me.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm kind of shocked that anyone is criticizing me for my reaction... I always learned that it is gauche to talk about money in public. This was that times 50.

My last comment was in jest - I did not actually want to hit this guy. It didn't really infuiate me, I just thought people on this board would appreciate the story and regret that people like him are around.

As for going up to him and asking him to keep it down, are you guys serious? This hardly warranted anything of the kind... I posted so we could all laugh about it, not because it was an earth shattering tragedy that needed immediate action.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Incidentally, I saw a Phantom in New York, and it looked really good, much better than I thought it would. Only got a pic of the rear, however.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Judging by the sound of this guy, the cell phone was probably not even turned on while he was "In character!"

DL

12. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Yikes that RR is dwarfing the town car. Sheesh i dont really like that car but maybe like you it will look better once i see one in person.

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Zach--- I understand your intent and echoed your sentiments.

Tom,

14. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Zip, sorry if I over reacted. I'm the oldest of seven and I had the opportunity to bail my younger brother Patrick out of jail for knocking the snot out of a guy at a bar; and I had to later finesse the legal system to get his record exponged. Sorry again. Take care!

15. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I passed a white one just like it today. The local lot has a couple RR's, and I must say that they are massive in size! Almost reminescent of Batman-esque Gotham City cars.

-DC

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    They are massive! This one had the flying lady withdrawn. Can't say I blame him.

17. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    what's so shocking about this? we have people on this board who think they're just as special as this **** b/c they have an exotic. should be used to attitude like that by now :) feel sorry for him, not mad at him...

ps - nice pic, miss those fresh pretzels from the street vendor!!

18. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    You guys aren't used to anything. I guess none of you live in Manhattan.

19. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A friend of mine was sitting on a train when this guy started talking on his cell. Went something like this:

"Hi, yeah, i need £100k transfered to my checking account so i can buy another Ferrari. My current one does nothing for me..... No, i'll be keeping that one anyway"

Went on similarly until his phone actually rang.

The whole population of the train carriage burst into laughter and the guy had to leave the carriage. I would have loved to have been there!!!

20. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Rico, that is a classic, would love to have seen that one. Could be movie material. In fact I could see Danny DeVito doing a great job with this material.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sounds like the kind of conversation i hear in the sauna at my country club..

Either cars or Girls ..

Fun to listen to :D

22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I lived in NYC for a year. I can't imagine driving a low profile car like that, thin tires and big wheels, traffic, parking, dealing with crazy cab drivers there. Must be a nightmare,

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I want one!:) What manufacturer did you go with?

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    DAMN...what you just said scared me!!!

I have a 360 Modena (my own which I bought with my own hard-earned money, and not my dad's)...I wear Diesel jeans all the time.....I only wear Hermes belts......I live in NYC....

Though I am in my late 20s and don't use hair gel, but hair wax (a little of it so it doesnt give the slick look).

Just wanted people to know that that dude is NOT me. I always try to be humble and not cocky like that jacka$$.

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    This is the kind of stuff that I hate. As a young Ferrari owner (28), I absolutely HATE to hear the whole, "I'm going to tell my dad blah blah blah." That's the stuff always pisses me off. I am used to having people suspect that I might be a poser because I ride a Ducati (the poser bike of choice unfortunately) but then they go for a ride with me or look at my tires (or knee pucks if I'm at the track) and that usually puts that stuff to rest. I am just old enough and professional enough (I own three companies) that most strangers more or less can sense that I bought my car myself but the whole thing about young guys talking and acting like big shots about cars that their fathers bought or own really, really gets to me.