where do you drive in fla? | FerrariChat

where do you drive in fla?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by mondial86, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I come from the boston area and am in southern fla for a week and I am impresed with the no of ferraris that i have seen ,,,,but there are no roads ,,just trafic lites and on the highway people don't move. I miss my hills and sweeping corners ,how do you guys get your fixxxx?????
    DVID

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Since Martin seems to be busy, I will try to answer your question. You're right, there are way too many long stop lights in South Florida but, take heart, there are lots of opportunites to drive some scenic roads near by.

Depending on your wants, you may head south to the Keys. That route may not be high speed but it provides plenty of scenery along the way.

For speed, you may consider heading west on 575 out of Ft. Lauderdale and then pick up US 27 north. Youre not going to see much in the way of topography but this is a wide open area where you may give the Ferrari
    a good romp but be aware of the small towns as the local police are always
    eager to personally welcome speeders into their towns which could ruin your
    day.

The area up 27 is "real Florida" and some nice areas for wide open driving. Another option is something I've just learned about which are some nearly
    abaodoned roads out in the Everglades where sports car and motorcycle-types go for some uninterrupted high speed driving.

If youre looking for more scenic, hilly driving, try moving to areas more north
    of Orlando. There are roads up near Mount Dora and Ocala which are prime
    Ferrari territory.

BHW

3. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Well said, Barton, especially about the "real Florida". Another great road is alt. 27 between Frostproof and Lake Wales. You really need to get out of the South Florida area to find the nice drives. There are also nice roads around Sebring through the cattle and citrus areas.

4. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You are absolutely right regarding driving in central frorida.
    I live in Inverness. It is next to Lecanto and Crystal River and near Ocala. From Orlando, you can blast up the Turnpike and get off on Rt 44 (Wildwood) or just go North from Orlando on small roads and not much traffic at all.
    You need to be careful up here though, lots of Florida Highway patrols and they are all running Ka band radar while they drive. You absolutely need a newer detector up here.
    gary

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I can concour. There are some AWESOME roads out there in Cracker Barrel Land. Debbie had a great rally last year for the FCA National. EXCEPT the dumb arse questions and implied brain the drivers and co-pilots were supposed to have. Nice ditches though :)

LMAO did I say that?

good mood today.