TR Air Pump - Rebuild | FerrariChat

TR Air Pump - Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vincenzo, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #1 vincenzo, Nov 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have taken apart the TR air pump and figure it is un-rebuildable due to its inherent design. See what you think....

The air vanes have needle bearings that are 'crimped' into place during assembly. The photo shows one of three crimps running around the bearing retention ring. I figure the bearings cannot be pressed out of, and back into, this shell.

The internal vane 'gasket' is a brittle, carbon like material. I can't imagine it as being an 'old' fiber gasket. The vanes rub and seal against the gasket material. I suspect it is designed to resist the friction of the moving vanes without tearing.

More photos are available upon request.

Here's my question....

Charles, out at Italian Car Parts claims he can rebuild them.
    http://www.italiancarparts.com/rebuilt_parts/ferrari.html

Any suggestions how he does it? Perhaps his re-build does not include bearings?

Suggestions welcome...

Thanks,
    Vince
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I don't know if the TR one is the same as the 308 (which is a GM part). A new one from GM was about $100 last time I recall this being discussed (check archives).

Mine were frozen. I pulled apart, lubed everything, put it back together. No problem.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The air pump is specific to the TR and RR.
    Cost +/- 2000$.

4. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    According to DENSO you need to ask for the "Ferali" pump;

Dear Bob ...
    Thank you for visiting DENSO Website and your message dated August 10, 2001.
    The reply to the request from you is as follows,
    Your inquiring #84100-0980, this is the part which designed especially for Ferali.
    The parts with the same performance are installed on Jaguar & Roles rois also, but the design is different to the one on ferali.
    Thank you very much.
         Best regards.

[Your Request]
    looking for a Nippon Denso #084100-0980 smog pump - came off a 1990 Ferrari -
    was wondering what other car might have used the same pump
    Thanks
    Bob

DENSO CORPORATION
    1-1 Showa-cho, Kariya, Aichi 448-8661, JAPAN
    URL: http://www.globaldenso.com/

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Is this pump electric?? My 308 euro had an electric smog pump from a TR installed -a SPA?? pump from italy, that was rebuilt once then failed. a replacement is way to much money. so, i did some research and guess what, i bought a HVLP RAFT pump that runs on 12 volts that i rigged up without having to change the plumbing on my car (just to pass emissions) and it worked perfectly.-hooked it up to switch under my dash to be activated just for emissions purposes. the pump was $120. i used it once and never have to use it again - since i now have collector tags in colorado, if anyone wants to 'borrow' it to pass emissions - let me know.
    john
    78 308 GTS Euro
    i can find the website if anyone is interested....

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    How did you get that out of the pump? I took my pump apart but I can't remove the large cylinder that holds the 2 plates that sweep the air and have 2 bearing a piece. Any info would be appreciated on how to remove them. I did notice that both smog pumps that I took apart had the same bearings. Both different part #s too. I don't have a TR smog pump but I would think that the bearings would be obtainable. I would think that another smog pump uses the same bearings. They will not all have the same bearings but I am sure you can find one that does and keep your housing.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #7 vincenzo, Nov 21, 2003
    Enclosed are more photos of the TR pump.

This one shows the primary assembly. The badly corroded, split 'cup' shown inside the housing, is rotated via the pully and shaft. The vanes are mounted on the cover's shaft with needle bearings (see photo posted days ago) and fit inside the rotating cup.

The vanes protrude from the 'split' in the cup. As the cup rotates on an eccentric centerline with respect to the vane's shaft, the vanes pump air as they sweep against the housings inside wall.

The problem - 'how is the 'cup' removed from the housing.....

Rgds,
    Vince

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #8 vincenzo, Nov 21, 2003
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #9 vincenzo, Nov 21, 2003
    Here is shot of the cup's housing from the backside. The shaft and cup are presumed to be a single assembly. The shaft is presently free to rotate but will not budge along its axis - it won't slide out.

The photo points to a 'bulge' cast into the housing's exterior.

My only guess on how this shaft is held in place is via a spring detent - hidden in the bulge. Meaning - it is never intended for disassembly!

Am tempted to cut into the housing.... but don't want to ruin a 2000$ air pump if my guess is wrong!

Any ideas? How is the shaft and 'cup' removed?????

Rgds,
    Vince

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    FYI... According to the folks at the 'local' Ferrari dealership:

Ferrari North America doesn't have a replacement.....

Ferrari Italy doesn't have a replacement.....

Isn't it federal law that automakers keep pollution control equipment 'in stock' for some number of years?

Rgds,
    Vince

11. Greg D

Greg D Guest

Jul 29, 2006
    Orangevale, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Dills
    I need to service my Denso 084100-0910 air pump or replace it. Who can rebuild this pump? Any help out there?

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I eventually found a replacement that was also used by Rolls Royce/ Jaguar. The pump is the same, but the attached air inlet/outlet manifold is different. It is easy to swap out the manifold from the old to the new pump. Apologies, but I do not have access to the part number at the moment. As I recall (years ago), I bought it thru Rock Auto at about 700USD.

I doubt if these pumps can be rebuilt.

This note is a good reminder for everybody to check their pump's exhaust outlet check valve. If it fails, moisture backs into the pump and destroy's its internals. The check is a common GM valve that is only about 5 bucks from NAPA. It is a VERY good item to routinely replace at the same time as belts.

Sorry I can't give specific PN info. Check the auto part places that have photos - can't miss it.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo