Leather food? | FerrariChat

Leather food?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by felix66, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Anyone have a good recommendation for feeding the leather in my 355 and refreshing the smell?

Thanks

2. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I've been using AutoGlyms leather food recently, though the best stuff I've used I got from my local Jag dealer.

3. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
    The AutoGlym Leather Cream Conditioner is very good, make sure the surface is clean and free from all crap...just rub it in and leave for several minutes and buff it off using another cloth. You can repeat the process if necessary, do this on a regular basis and you should find your leather looking, feeling and smelling like new......

j3nzo

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Try the Dianese stuff (leather motorcycle gear), truely fantastic stuff

5. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I've had really good luck with Leatherique; the two step process. I found it's best to take the seats out of the car and do the job in the kitchen. I let it soak in for about a week with the seats covered in plastic bags, sitting in the house.

Cheers
    Norm (poaching from Chicago)512TR

6. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    I recommend our products of course (Leatherique). Put the Rejuvinator Oil on 1st, let the car SIT overnight, then a soft cloth and Prestine Clean, wipe it down and you are done. We are doing the 88 TR for Mt Dora this weekend and will TOUCH UP the interior with the Prestine Clean when we get there.

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I just did the seats in my 365 GTC/4 with Leatherique and feel that this product did a better job than Connolly's Hide Food, Griot's Leather Rejuvenator (which looks similar to Leatheriaque, but is not absorbed as well), or Lexol.

8. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I use to use Connolly Hide Food. Hard work but very good at keeping leather in good condition. Laziness and lack of nearby suppliers saw me switch to Autoglym and although I use it much more regularly it is much easier to apply.

As for Dianese - I have two of their jackets so may well give it a go on them and the car!

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I'll second that !

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Speaking to an ex connolly employee about this some months ago.

The lacquer used on hide from about late 80s is water based. Once that lacquer wears off the colour comes away very quickly.

His suggestion was NOT to use any product which contains petroleum distillates so AUTOGLYM and Connonly hide food are NOT something anyone should use for sure.

In fact connolly were going to bring out a suitable formula before they went bust.

Ive tried most and the one that gives the best results its ZYMOL feed- no residue, and it softens the leather. If you continue to use petroleum based products you will begin to destroy the lacquer and the leather colour will wear quicker