308 noisy suspension | FerrariChat

308 noisy suspension

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chrismorse, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I am in the slow process of rebuilding my 77 308 suspension. Last weekend, I replaced the rf shock bushings and the sway bar to chasis mount. but I am still, I think, getting the same klunking noise from the rf over bumpy roads.
    I recall hearing about the older, failed, konis making klunking noises, but I canot find the post.
    My fear is that I will rebuild the suspension f&r and still have the nasty noises. None of the bushings look anything like birdman's bar rebuild post.
    So, my question is, how common is a noisy failed koni, (22,000 miles). If this is likely, I don't want to waste the 160 on shock bushings and the effort, (considerable) to replace the bushings, I will just bite the bullit and get the newer aluminum coil overs and do the a arm bushings when the shocks arrive.
    The noises are hard to pin down, but if there is a 5% chance that the old konis are making the noises, I will go ahead with the rebuild. If on the other hand, the konis are likely bad, (30-60%????), Then I will go with the probabilities and order the shocks & springs. (this could result in a few scorch marks and puncture wounds from the better half - but ah well such is life)

help,

chris

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    With only 22k on the car I wouldn't think the shocks would be bad. They could very well be bad if the car had 122k though...................

DJ

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I understand the shocks contain some rubber parts in the valves. Age & O2 count more for rubber than do miles. I'm pretty sure I remember Rob Schermerhorn stating that they did in a post in the old fchat archives.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Agree with Verell. Age is nasty on rubber parts, just like...anyway, you get the point
    Philip

5. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    My '78 308 with 28K miles had some clunking noises as well. A new set of Koni's and respective shock absorber bushings solved ALL the clunking and dampning assymetries. I opted to go with new Koni's, I kept the old set for perhaps re-valving in the future.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I had the same sort of clunking that Sophia describes on an 81 308, and a full set of new Konis cured the problem, too. And the problem was with the actual shocks, not the bushings.

I agree with everyone else that milage doesn't mean a lot on a parts that are over two decades old. It may point to bad shocks.

However, I think you should also double check the soundness of the sway bar and tie rod pieces. Sometimes these can go bad, and will be a source of clunking that's really hard to pin down. I'd tap each piece with a small hammer or wrench, and look for something that has more of a "thud" than a metallic ring.

This double-checking can also be done with all of the pieces still assembled. If you don't find another culprit, I'd look again at the Koni.

--Matt

7. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    thanks, guys, I am starting with the "easy" stuff, sway bar bushings, drop link bushings and shock bushings.
    If this doesn't get it, I will go to the A arm bushings.
    There are a lot of little things that need doing and add up to some bucks, so I cannot just go in and do double adjustables and custom springs, wheels and tires, etc, etc.

chris